Grado e Series
Jun 13, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #33 of 6,729
Oh wow. Time to score an SR325e.

Jun 13, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #34 of 6,729
  Although I have many flagship orthodynamic headphones, I still enjoy my chrome PS1000 a lot.  Now comes the PS1000e which should give even more enjoyment to listener.  Like you all I want to know how PS1000e sound like so I asked gradoservice to comment the sonic difference between PS1000 and PS1000e.

Here's the answer.

"Overall the sonic signature has not changed.
Both the PS1000 and the PS1000e share the same voicing and musicality.

The PS1000e is has an improvement in efficiency which gives it additional dynamic range."

If you're using an iPod I can see this, but out of a dedicated amp, I wonder how much (if any) effect there'd be?

Thanks for the info.  This is the kind of change I was hoping for nothing to dramatic otherwise it wouldn't be the same headphone but rather some small improvements. 

Kinda sums up the differences between the originals vs. the "i" headphones. Heck, on my SR225 vs. 225i, I couldn't tell a difference...and many preferred the RS1 to the RS1i.

Jun 13, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #36 of 6,729
  im really interested in the change from a 40mm driver in the rs1 and rs1i to a 50mm driver in the rs1e

Where is this mentioned? Sorry, I've only found this describing the changes:

http://www.gradolabs.com/headphones

Jun 13, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #37 of 6,729
on the rs1e page:

The new RS1e from Grado uses a different species of handcrafted mahogany from our previous models. The earpieces utilize an intricate curing process that optimizes the tonal quality while giving them a new look. The RS1e places a 50mm dynamic transducer and an 8 conductor cable design in an open-air configuration. The result is a smooth, controlled, and coherent sound with detailed dynamics. Frequency response ranges from 12-30 kHz and the drivers are matched to 0.05dB. Weighing 9oz, the headphones are an example of the wonders of Mother Nature with a gorgeous light mahogany look. The RS1e is a masterpiece in the Grado collection.

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #38 of 6,729
Is the e series already shipping? i'm thinking about ordering the sr60e. I had the sr60i but my girlfriend fell in love with them and so I gladly gave them to her.

Yup! They are available from select vendors. Be sure to get some L Pads. They are much better sounding than the stock pads.

Awesome. I ordered them through 4ourears.

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #39 of 6,729
All the models that Grado will be shipping will be the new e series so you can order direct if you like and know you are definitely getting the new models.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #40 of 6,729
  on the rs1e page:

The new RS1e from Grado uses a different species of handcrafted mahogany from our previous models. The earpieces utilize an intricate curing process that optimizes the tonal quality while giving them a new look. The RS1e places a 50mm dynamic transducer and an 8 conductor cable design in an open-air configuration. The result is a smooth, controlled, and coherent sound with detailed dynamics. Frequency response ranges from 12-30 kHz and the drivers are matched to 0.05dB. Weighing 9oz, the headphones are an example of the wonders of Mother Nature with a gorgeous light mahogany look. The RS1e is a masterpiece in the Grado collection.

Thanks!

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #41 of 6,729
i just bought a pair of MS-Pro E in Thailand.
i have to say they are very different from the old version in many ways.

1.the mids is very forward.  it is even more forward than my Rs1i.
2.the bass is not tighter then , the magic of grado 's signature speedy bass seems disappear. it has gone, just dosen't exist at all.
3.the image of sound become larger nearer, soundstage become smaller.

don't expect improvement.
they are another phones.

don't sell your old mspro. they will become expensive in future.

owning Rs1e and old mspro might be a good choice.

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #42 of 6,729
How much time have you logged so far? When I purchased a PS500 when they first came out they did not smooth out and reach their true sound and potential until I had over 100 hours of break in on them. Very different and much better across the board in every parameter, essentially a different headphone than came out of the box and MUCH better. Even my lowly just purchased SR60e needed time played to show their true sound and ability which far surpassed the SR60i I had.

Hopefully you will find the same result after more time played.

Good luck and good listening. :cool:

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #43 of 6,729
How much time have you logged so far? When I purchased a PS500 when they first came out they did not smooth out and reach their true sound and potential until I had over 100 hours of break in on them. Very different and much better across the board in every parameter, essentially a different headphone than came out of the box and MUCH better. Even my lowly just purchased SR60e needed time played to show their true sound and ability which far surpassed the SR60i I had.

Hopefully you will find the same result after more time played.

Good luck and good listening.
cool.gif
i

i bought them last week and burned for around 50 hours.
Yes grado phones need long time burn in. but it won;t become another phone by time.
the basic charactors won't change. they will become better.

This time mpro e is a big sound signature change.
i did not say they are not good. they are just different from the old version. 

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #44 of 6,729
You need to qualify your statement. How many hours did you put on them before you reached your conclusions?

You expect us to believe that Grado deviated from their signature sound across the board as you described? Not likely.

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #45 of 6,729
  i bought them last week and burned for around 50 hours.
Yes grado phones need long time burn in. but it won;t become another phone by time.
the basic charactors won't change. they will become better.

This time mpro e is a big sound signature change.
i did not say they are not good. they are just different from the old version. 

In that case, thank God for EQs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back