Grado e Series
Apr 16, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #4,517 of 6,729
Hello everyone,

i have the RS1e (black headband). And like most people here, i don't like them. They have less highs than the RS1i, but that doesnt prevent them to be overly screamy and scratchy. I tested the SR325e recently and i prefer them to the RS1e. More fun, punch and groove. Thinner sound than the RS1, but that was expected. I also don't think that RS1e have (much) better detail, clarity or soundstage.

The RS1e is helt to be the only headphone in the new line that is no improvement over his predecessor.

BUT: There is the new version with tan/brown headband. Grado have changed the housing so that the driver is farer off the ear resulting in more highs.

What is the verdict on the new tan/brown version. Has Grado removed its shortcomings? Is it finally better than the old RS1i? Is it a more refined, creamier sounding version of the SR325e?

Apr 16, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #4,519 of 6,729
  There is not a new version of the RS-1e. Grado has confirmed this and also have no intentions of revising the RS-1e...regardless of the headband color.

Who would've thought that one the, if not THE most appreciated model in the Grado line up, would become the least popular by a big margin, and that one of the, if not THE least popular model, would become one of the most popular ones. can you guess wich model I'm talking about?.

I'm pretty sure that Grado is still scratching their heads, trying to make sense of it all. 

Apr 16, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #4,520 of 6,729

Who would've thought that one the, if not THE most appreciated model in the Grado line up, would become the least popular by a big margin, and that one of the, if not THE least popular model, would become one of the most popular ones. can you guess wich model I'm talking about?.

I'm pretty sure that Grado is still scratching their heads, trying to make sense of it all. 

Umm…the RS-2e! 
happy_face1.gif

Just a wild guess. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #4,521 of 6,729

I cant make much sense of it either, man...I was really considering the RS1, but thankfully I had my Grado family here on head-fi to help me turn toward the RS2

Apr 16, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #4,523 of 6,729
  So it sounds like my guess was correct.

That's exactly right Joseph.

I said, one, if not THE, that's because I think that there are two models that stand out, above the others, the RS2e, and what if I asked you to humour me, and guess the other one.

If anyone else wants to give it a shot, be my guest.

Apr 16, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #4,524 of 6,729

That's exactly right Joseph.

I said, one, if not THE, that's because I think that there are two models that stand out, above the others, the RS2e, and what if I asked you to humour me, and guess the other one.

If anyone else wants to give it a shot, be my guest.

Prob the 325e

Apr 16, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #4,525 of 6,729
  I cant make much sense of it either, man...I was really considering the RS1, but thankfully I had my Grado family here on head-fi to help me turn toward the RS2

I can't take credit for that though. I went in a totally different direction with the n.o.s. RS1. To be honest even though they totally floored me 12 years ago, a lot has changed since then. At the time, I owned a pair of Sennheiser HD600, wich sounded veiled compared to the RS1, or any Grado for that matter.

Now, all my headphones are Grados. I don't have to tell you that the GS/PS/HP1000, all set the bar pretty high, so the fact that the RS1 still managed to impress me, and to the point ordering the RA1, tells me that Grado got it right, the first time.

Apr 16, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #4,526 of 6,729

I can't take credit for that though. I went in a totally different direction with the n.o.s. RS1. To be honest even though they totally floored me 12 years ago, a lot has changed since then. At the time, I owned a pair of Sennheiser HD600, wich sounded veiled compared to the RS1, or any Grado for that matter.

Now, all my headphones are Grados. I don't have to tell you that the GS/PS/HP1000, all set the bar pretty high, so the fact that the RS1 still managed to impress me, and to the point ordering the RA1, tells me that Grado got it right, the first time.

Is Sennheiser known for having a veil? I felt that way about my Amperirors, and it's one of the complaints I have about the HD700s. I probably wouldn't notice it if I didn't have other headphones that are a bit more transparent. 

Apr 16, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #4,527 of 6,729

Is Sennheiser known for having a veil? I felt that way about my Amperirors, and it's one of the complaints I have about the HD700s. I probably wouldn't notice it if I didn't have other headphones that are a bit more transparent. 

Sadly yes, especially the HD600, but back when I bought them, I didn't know that Grado even existed.

Apr 16, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #4,529 of 6,729

The HD650 has a veil and then some (hated them).  The HD800, Momentum and PX100, on the other hand, are crystal clear.  I've never heard the Amperiors, but the HD25 didn't seem to have a veil. 

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #4,530 of 6,729

Users who are viewing this thread

Back