Grado Driver Removal SR80e
Jan 4, 2018 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

pezhore

New Head-Fier
I've tried searching a bit, but most links appear broken/have no pictures - Has anyone had success in removing their Grado SR80e/SR60e drivers from the plastic casing?

I used the hairdryer technique to remove the grill/back half of the plastic shell, but I'm at a loss as to how I can remove the driver itself. There were references to liberating the driver from the back, or from the front without much details on how to do so.

Any ideas?

Jan 6, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 5
With some trial and error I figured out a solution. Using a hand coping saw, I cut down the front casing at each of the four divots on the shell to *just* before the driver. I then used a pair of pliers to grasp each piece as close to the driver as possible, then pulled away from the center/back of the driver. This worked for the most part - any troublesome parts of shell that didn't come lose I cut with my Dremel's cutting blade close to, but not into the driver itself.

Hope this helps someone in the future... apologizes for not having pictures.

Jan 9, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #3 of 5
I used a box cutter knife and just dug in around the edge of the driver, all around the whole driver, then you can push it out from the back and smooth down the edges with a dremmel (cover the driver holes with tape so plastic dust doesn't get in).

Jan 9, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #4 of 5
Thin box cutter razor and stab down. Move over a few millimeters and stab down again... do this all the way around. The razor should go down about a quart inch or so. Then use the blade to pry up the driver a little bit at a time... all the way around.

The thickness of the razor might cause the housing to yield, but its still a tight fit when you put it back in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back