Grado Cord Issue
Jan 14, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #17 of 33
You can't mail it in to Grado Labs to have them fix/replace it for you?

Jan 14, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #19 of 33
QC issues have been known with Grado. The design is not the most R & D intensive.

As others have mentioned, I carry a pair of RS-1s in a soft camera bag for travel and yard use. I bought them used with the stem pulled from the plastic yoke. A couple drops of adhesive and haven't had a problem since.

Jan 14, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiends /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't get a replacement pair, I don't live remotely close to any shops.

Then send it back to Grado and quit whinging at us. Do we look like we fix headphones?

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My SR80s are 9 years old and are still going strong. Sorry OP you bought a broken pair. I agree with recommendations to get your money back off your friend and get another pair.

Apologies about the friend part, I was going by previous posts. I would now say

My SR80s are 9 years old and are still going strong. Sorry OP you bought a broken pair. Are they still within the guarantee period?

Jan 14, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #22 of 33
There should be no reason that you couldn't get them warrantied by Grado via mail; if you need a proof of receipt and you happened to lose it or something I'm sure you can call the shop you bought them from for additional help.

OR get some upgraded cable and fix the soldering job yourself, it's really easy once you get the cups apart and the gains are pretty substantial.

Also -- Subtle was just trying to give you some helpful advice, he maybe mistook your name for the word "friends" or something, no need for the harsh words!

Jan 15, 2010 at 6:58 AM Post #23 of 33
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was referring to the new cable on the latest "i" series of Grados, which I think is ridiculously thick and cumbersome. Another Head-Fier who picked up a pair of SR325i's second hand asked me "what's with the garden hose?" An apt description I thought.

Jan 15, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #24 of 33
Too bad the wire came loose. It happens.

You mentioned that you've fixed electronics for 20 years and were able to take them apart. Did you touch up the solder job yourself? It's an easy fix.

If you're not comfortable with that, send them back to the factory. Grado will fix them for you.

Jan 15, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiends /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are lying, I never edited the post, take a look... I didn't edit it at all, are you high?

I never said once I bought them off a friend, I am the only person I know who buys headphones for more than $30. These are SR 80i's I believe and I got them in the only town that sells them that is even close to me, and that is like 12 hours away. I can't "bring them back" it would cost me more to travel there and I would probably get fired for missing work.

I have been extremely careful with them too and yes, the cords get twisted but that is an easy fix. When this issue started happening I took them apart to look and the soldering job was horrible, and the phones were held in by glue. This was bought brand new in a sealed box and I can guarantee it was directly from Grado.

I'm not sure where this guy is coming off saying I edited my post, can't an admin or mod check to see if I've ever edited it? I haven't touched it and was he is saying is extremely confusing and kind of screwing up this thread.

I just noticed this when I edited THIS message, look, it says below when I edited it. My original doesn't have that, get bent subtle.

One last thing, I enjoy the sound, the sound is awesome but compared to some other phones I've had, which were much cheaper, these ones just feel flimsy and when this cord issue popped up I decided to post.

It's called a ninja edit, google it you spaz.

Jan 15, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #26 of 33
The design of Grado headphones takes a while to get used to. I thought they were made in China the first time I saw them. They still remain one of the best, if not the best can for rock music though. Their sound is addicting and you'll grow to love not just the way they sound but the way they look eventually. At least that's what happened for me.

Jan 15, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #27 of 33
To get the twist out of the Grado cable I hang mine upside down every so often.

Jan 15, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

To get the twist out of the Grado cable I hang mine upside down every so often.

That's not a bad idea! I'll have to try that sometime.

Jan 15, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #29 of 33
I tie the end of the cable at the jack to the clothes rail in the cupboard using the bendy wire stuff you get in packaging and leave them over night. Give them space so that they can turn around as the twists wind their way out.

Jan 15, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

I tie the end of the cable at the jack to the clothes rail in the cupboard using the bendy wire stuff you get in packaging and leave them over night. Give them space so that they can turn around as the twists wind their way out.

Appreciate your intent, but couldn't this be done in a minute or two? And, however unlikely, is there any risk at all of loosening the cable to driver connection?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back