Grado Bushmills X - Grado's first closed-back headphone?
Apr 13, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #766 of 771
I picked up a brand new pair of Bushmills this week, been waiting over 6 years for a pair of these.

Curious, has anyone installed a removable cable mod to these? Can it be done safely given the different pieces of wood to the cup?
I believe the wood cups are of a more fragile construction than the typical Grado wood cup because of the "side vent" approach used to compensate for the solid wood back on the cup. This maintains their open Grado sound signature.

I only mention this to warn that there is likely less room for error when disassembling the headphone.

Good luck if you decide to proceed. and congrats on the Bushmills... cheers! :)

Apr 14, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #767 of 771
I believe the wood cups are of a more fragile construction than the typical Grado wood cup because of the "side vent" approach used to compensate for the solid wood back on the cup. This maintains their open Grado sound signature.

I only mention this to warn that there is likely less room for error when disassembling the headphone.

Good luck if you decide to proceed. and congrats on the Bushmills... cheers! :)

Thanks and yes that is exactly my concern. I think I will keep the cable stock but definitely switch out the gimbals and rodblocks and have some fun with different pads.

Sep 27, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #768 of 771
I just picked up a pair of these locally. Seller said they hadn't been listened to but the paper box/cover inside with the cable and bag had a tear, so it may have been unpacked. But the clear cover looks different. it doesn't have that black image on the clear sliding "door." Seller got it from his brother who worked for ad agency that worked for Bushmills so maybe it was b-stock or something. Does anyone know if the black "label" was a sticker or printed on the plastic?

Sep 27, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #769 of 771
I just picked up a pair of these locally. Seller said they hadn't been listened to but the paper box/cover inside with the cable and bag had a tear, so it may have been unpacked. But the clear cover looks different. it doesn't have that black image on the clear sliding "door." Seller got it from his brother who worked for ad agency that worked for Bushmills so maybe it was b-stock or something. Does anyone know if the black "label" was a sticker or printed on the plastic?
From what I remember, it was etched onto the plastic cover itself. Here are some better pictures I found online:

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/det...hmills-x-grado-labs-headphone/images/1377460/

I had a pair that was sold to me by a Grado worker that had a spare pair. I believe he said it was B-Stock the one I had. One of the Bushmills logo's on the cups was just a tad off center and it did not include the cloth bag. I have since sold it but figure more info always merrier.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #770 of 771
From what I remember, it was etched onto the plastic cover itself. Here are some better pictures I found online:

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/det...hmills-x-grado-labs-headphone/images/1377460/

I had a pair that was sold to me by a Grado worker that had a spare pair. I believe he said it was B-Stock the one I had. One of the Bushmills logo's on the cups was just a tad off center and it did not include the cloth bag. I have since sold it but figure more info always merrier.
Thanks for the help (again!) Mine has the bag. I wonder if he got a new clear cover... It was set up in his office as a display so maybe he wanted a totally clear cover. Interesting! The box is the same though.

Sep 27, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #771 of 771
Thanks for the help (again!) Mine has the bag. I wonder if he got a new clear cover... It was set up in his office as a display so maybe he wanted a totally clear cover. Interesting! The box is the same though.
I know that the plastic cover was an issue for shipping a few of these originally... a few were received cracked. I am not sure if Grado replaced the cracked ones with a non-logo'd version of it for those that reached out to them? It could also be that the guy who had your Bushmills (if the story was true), had a pre-production/Final model since he worked at Bushmills. Is the plastic cover the only difference, words, letters, etc?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back