Grado: Best Fit for SQ and Comfort?
Aug 5, 2011 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

NonApplicable

100+ Head-Fier
I just received my 325is' in the mail a couple days ago and naturally I am a big fan of the SQ. I however had comfort issues out of the box and have been messing around with the headband since. Numerous threads confirmed that bending the headband will effect sound and I have experienced this myself. I have gotten different results but have forgotten how the out of the box sound com paired to the bend I have now(if it's better or worse). My ears now rest against the speakers much more than they had before and I get a louder sound. How do yours fit? Tips for better SQ and comfort would be greatly appreciated!

Aug 5, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #2 of 7
Comfort wise, the pads will soften up gradually.  I've seen several people recommend washing them with dishwashing soap to speed up the process.  Another idea is order the G-cush pads. (Instead of the L cush that come with it)  The G-cush pads are much more comfortable, in my opinion, and I think they increase the sound-stage.  However, I've noticed they work great with some music but not as well with others.  Acoustic music sounds great to me with the G-cush but heavier rock sounds better with the standard pads.  Another sound tip I would offer is: I've found the standard L-cush pads sound best if I tilt the headband forward an inch or so.  I haven't tried bending the headband so I can't comment there.  I've also read that people order a replacement headband from JMoney.  Hope some of this helps.

Aug 5, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 7
I not looking for replacement pads but thanks anyway. The pads are extremely comfortable for me, it is the pressing of my ears against the speakers that is a problem. I don't even know if they are supposed to press up as much as they are. JMoney also seems sketchy to me after seeing a thread about faulty pads on here.

Do your grados clamp? I'm not sure how tight they are supposed to feel as mine are b-stock and could have been tampered with before hand.

Aug 5, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #4 of 7
I like the 325is stock. I have the G-pads but for my music its not that good. 90% is metal in every shape and form.
The most notable difference is the increased soundtage due to the space in the G-pads. The high are less harsh but this also means they lose their 'bite'. The bass has more quantity and less impact.
There also seem to be a tad loss of detail. Mids are reduced but it seems to scale with the rest of the sound.
The SR325is are not made to wotk with the g-cushions and it show imo.
If i want lots of detail, clarity and soundtage i reach for then DT800. For 'in your face', agressive sound the 325 are the way to go.

Aug 5, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #5 of 7
I my library also consists of about 90% metal and I am extremely happy with the stock pads. My ignorance and wallet prevent me from pursuing SQ changes with different coushies. 

I am more interested in the bend of the headband, but I guess everyone hasn't adjusted it as I assumed.

Aug 6, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #6 of 7
I wear my Grados high and forward on my head with none of my ear touching the screen and the entire bowl either resting on my ear or on the side of my head.

Here is how I wear my Grados:

Usually the rods are all the way up. I'm wearing the entire pad on my ear. None of my ear is touching the screen at all. The driver is essentially floating over my ear. As for the headband, it just conformed to my head after a couple of weeks. I wear glasses and I would be more sensitive to ear pains but using this recipe works every time!

The pad is literally just a buffer between your ear and the driver. This forms some sort of seal with my head and I get really good bass this way. You do have to run the volume a little louder to compensate for the increased distance, but that is why the SR-80's have been rumored to need an amp, not because the SR-80 runs at like 70 percent without them.

Btw I have a HUGE head dude, I'm a pretty big dude IRL

Aug 6, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #7 of 7
Wear them loose and forward so that they extend onto your ear instead of sitting directly smack dab in the middle.  I think it helps position the cups (and therefore the drivers) very slightly for the better.  You'll of course also get the comfort bonus of not trying to flatten your ears out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back