Grado 325i BlackDragon with zebrawood pad mods and Darth's V3-O BlackMax (pics)
Aug 11, 2007 at 7:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Grey Massacre

500+ Head-Fier
Hello there!

I just recently picked up a pair of Grado 325i re-cabled to BlackDragon and I received them today. They are already burned in as they are a used pair. I had SR-80 for 5 years and I find these are a very good improvement over the 80's especially in the bass department.

When comparing the Darth's to the re-cabled 325i there is quite a few differences. I find that these Grado's complement the Darth's really well. The Grado's have a bit more forward mid/high while sounding pretty relaxed. I find that both cans are very detailed but the 325i shows more details but not by much. I have to say the Darth's have a huge soundstage and the bass have much more impact and deepness. The 325i have very good bass and it is more defined/tight.

I love both cans, but overall the Darth's are still my favorite for sure. I find the 325i surprisingly good with electronic music and they really rock with metal as well!

EDIT: The 325i's are really growing on me. Listening some Virgin Black/Haggard/Therion/Opeth, oh so good!
smily_headphones1.gif

Comfort wise the Darth's are no match with the Grado's but I am planning on fixing this issue by making some kind Beyer pad modification and maybe I will post some picture of it later in this thread. Don't expect any DIY procedure as I don't want to piss off the sponsor. All I am missing to make them (aside from the time) is one drill bit and the wood. I have figured all the measurements and I already have the leather/velour pads. So why not giving it a try, this should be fun!

Charles

Now a few pictures:

setup.jpg

headphones.jpg

grado_tubes.jpg

blackdragon.jpg

Aug 11, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #2 of 35
Those look real nice with the Black Dragon's. Thanks for your impressions. I just got a pair of SR325i and I will be breaking them in shortly. Too many toys ATM. Congrats
smily_headphones1.gif
BTW, I like your headphone stand

Aug 11, 2007 at 12:15 PM Post #3 of 35
and your cooling system for the LD lol. that's really needed?

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #4 of 35
Did you happen to get the quieter computer fans on the side for cooling, or did you go for a massive air pusher?

very interesting addition on the fans.

Aug 11, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and your cooling system for the LD lol. that's really needed?

Hello spacemanspliff,

Probably not needed but the chassis of the LD2++ is used as a heatsink so the headphone plug can get really hot (without active cooling). My Darth's have a rubber sleeve over the 1/4 connector and I was concerned it could affect the durability. I am really really careful with my gear, active cooling is surely not bad for the tubes also. Now the connector never get hot and my paranoia is relieved. :p

Charles

Aug 11, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostOne.TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you happen to get the quieter computer fans on the side for cooling, or did you go for a massive air pusher?

very interesting addition on the fans.

Hello LostOne,

I really love custom stuff, as you can see.

Basically I took some fans I salvaged from some broken wine refrigerator. I happen to have gotten a few of those, they were new stock and some were badly damaged. As you can see the black plastic part was the mounts and they were useful in my case. It looks a bit ghetto, but still.
smily_headphones1.gif

The fans are extremely quiet for the reason I have bought a transformer with lower Voltage. Fans were rated 12V and I have gotten a 9V wall-wart. The circuit is in parallel. So the fans turns slower but still cool way enough!

Charles

Aug 11, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #7 of 35
That's a nice setup you have there. Looks like the recable is a very good one and I guess it sounds pretty nice too. Also, I personally love the cooling setup for the LD, it looks pretty good on the amp.

Aug 11, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #8 of 35
Yeah my DV 332 get's hot too. I have it on an open metal shelf. It's got crossbars so it's totally open and there are no hot spots above or below. I also have a super quiet floor fan blowing over the front. Works nicely. I love the Darkvoice with the Beyers. I think it's a keeper.

Aug 11, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #10 of 35
THOSE pictures are INCREDIBLY sexy.

Aug 12, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #13 of 35
Well done rig indeed! And now that I understand your reasoning for the cooling, it's even cooler!
cool.gif

...and I may well hang some pipes below the shelf behind my monitor where the bent wire coat hangers now reside!

Aug 12, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Massacre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello there!

I just recently picked up a pair of Grado 325i re-cabled to BlackDragon and I received them today.

When comparing the Darth's to the re-cabled 325i there is quite a few differences. I find that these Grado's complement the Darth's really well. The Grado's have a bit more forward mid/high while sounding pretty relaxed. I find that both cans are very detailed but the 325i shows more details but not by much. I have to say the Darth's have a huge soundstage and the bass have much more impact and deepness. The 325i have very good bass and it is more defined/tight.

I love both cans, but overall the Darth's are still my favorite for sure. I find the 325i surprisingly good with electronic music and they really rock with metal as well!

Nice; thanks for the comparison. I know that this is way late, but I always wondered what DB sounded like in comparison to the regular 325; what's your thoughts on those?

P.S. Thanks for sharing.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Massacre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello spacemanspliff,

Probably not needed but the chassis of the LD2++ is used as a heatsink so the headphone plug can get really hot (without active cooling). My Darth's have a rubber sleeve over the 1/4 connector and I was concerned it could affect the durability. I am really really careful with my gear, active cooling is surely not bad for the tubes also. Now the connector never get hot and my paranoia is relieved. :p

Charles

100 points for creativity! I was doing double-takes trying figure what was going on with that...LDC (Little Dot Cooled?).

Custom is Cool, keep the creative juices flowing.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a nice setup you have there. Looks like the recable is a very good one and I guess it sounds pretty nice too. Also, I personally love the cooling setup for the LD, it looks pretty good on the amp.

x2.

OP/Charles - The DB is already a bit warm sounding; do you have a SS lying around and is the LD mainly for the Grado?

Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well done rig indeed! And now that I understand your reasoning for the cooling, it's even cooler!
cool.gif

...and I may well hang some pipes below the shelf behind my monitor where the bent wire coat hangers now reside!

ditto; x2!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back