Grado 225's - FiiO E10 or Hi-Fi Man EF2A?
Jan 4, 2012 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jeremybrooks

New Head-Fier
I have a set of Grado 225's that I use for listening at work. Currently they are just connected to a Rolls mixer which is fed by my MacBook Pro and iPhone. Eventually I want something like an iDecco or MusicBox to drive these, but that is not going to happen for a while.

In the meantime, I am looking at the E10 or EF2A to take audio from the MacBook Pro and drive my Grados. I have not used either product, and I was hoping to get some feedback from people here. I am leaning towards the EF2A just because I like what tubes do to music. Any opinions one way or the other on the two amps?

Thanks!

Jan 4, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #3 of 7
The Fiio E17 is a portable unit while both Fiio E10 and HiFiman EF2A are non portable for home/desktop use. The EF2A is tube based and will sound different compared to the solid state E10. I prefer tube amps so I would go with the EF2A if your budget allows. The EF2A uses 6J1 tubes which has many alternatives for tube rolling. The E10 on the other hand can be had for less than half the E10 and works great if you are on a budget.

Jan 5, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
The Fiio E17 is a portable unit while both Fiio E10 and HiFiman EF2A are non portable for home/desktop use. The EF2A is tube based and will sound different compared to the solid state E10. I prefer tube amps so I would go with the EF2A if your budget allows. The EF2A uses 6J1 tubes which has many alternatives for tube rolling. The E10 on the other hand can be had for less than half the E10 and works great if you are on a budget.

That sums up what I had concluded from my own research. I think I'll go with the EF2A. Thanks!

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #6 of 7
I'm quite happy with it. I have a set of tubes to roll in as well, but I have been listening to the stock tubes so far. The difference is night and day. Lossless tracks sound great, and I am hearing detail that I could not hear before.

The only comparison I have is a Peachtree Nova that I listened to at an audio store. The Nova sounded much better. But it was not $200.00.

Mar 19, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #7 of 7
Just an update. I have been listening to this amp for 3-4 hours every day, and the more I listen the more I like what I hear. I have swapped out the stock tubes for a set of vintage Sylvania tubes, and it sounds fantastic. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back