Grado 225i or Ultrasone hfi780? or smth else?
Apr 24, 2011 at 6:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

bryangww

Head-Fier
Hey all, so heres my story.

Initially i wanted to get a good and nice pair of headphones that i can use at home or when im travelling. So i planned on getting the Beats Studios cause they looked so good and supposed to have hq sound. But after going through many threads, I realised that i would be wasting my money. So after much looking around, Ive come down to the Grado 225i and Ultrasone hfi780.

So basically, which one would you guys recommend? I dont plan on using amps, dont think ill be using them in public due to the size. I listen to a wide range of music, but would really like crisp clear audio for vocals but still have substantial bass.

Finally, if these headphones were rated a 5 on a scale of 1-10. What would Beat Studios rate?

Oh, and would it be a huge leap if i decided to save up for the Grados 335i or is 225i good enough for a beginner like me.

Thanks in advance.
Really need your expertise.
Cheers.

Apr 24, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #2 of 18
Hi, the sr225i are great for rock but they do not have a huge amount of bass so may not appeal to bassheads, they are also open so will provide no isolation
where as the hfi780 is closed so it will provide a fair amount of isolation.
The hfi780 is excellent for both rock and bass heavier genres and both headphones have great clarity but because you are using them in public
I would suggest you get the hfi780, which are an excellent pair of headphones.

Apr 24, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #5 of 18
You would not be able to listen on a plane with sr225i's I attempted to with my rs1's and I could hear practically nothing.
The dj1 is basically the pro 550 and IMO it is a fair amount worse.
I would suggest you also look at the pro 900 they are more expensive than the hfi780 but they provide more clarity and bass and are just generally better in every way.
For your needs I think your only option is to go with closed headphones as they will provide isolation.
Some other options are dt770, hd25, tma-1, hfi 580, pro 750 and possibly a used pair of thunderpants.

Apr 24, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #6 of 18

Quote:
You would not be able to listen on a plane with sr225i's I attempted to with my rs1's and I could hear practically nothing.
The dj1 is basically the pro 550 and IMO it is a fair amount worse.
I would suggest you also look at the pro 900 they are more expensive than the hfi780 but they provide more clarity and bass and are just generally better in every way.
For your needs I think your only option is to go with closed headphones as they will provide isolation.
Some other options are dt770, hd25, tma-1, hfi 580, pro 750 and possibly a used pair of thunderpants.

You have tried them all? So you think the hfi780 are good headphones? They cost about 314USD where i live. Is that an acceptable price?

Apr 24, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #7 of 18
Hi, I have not tried the dt770, hd25 and tma-1, but I have tried all the other mentioned headphones.
$314 is insanely expensive for hfi780's you can get them for $164 on adorama and  you can get the pro900's on ebay for $369.

Apr 24, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #8 of 18

Quote:
Hi, I have not tried the dt770, hd25 and tma-1, but I have tried all the other mentioned headphones.
$314 is insanely expensive for hfi780's you can get them for $164 on adorama and  you can get the pro900's on ebay for $369.

Oh, Are the 580 as good as the 780? price difference here in Singapore is about 100$ which is about 75-80usd

Apr 24, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #10 of 18
The DJ1 PRO is based on Ultrasone's PRO 550, though I'm not sure how they compare.  In the case of using Grados in plane or other public places, you not only hear everything around you, other will clearly be able to hear what you would be listening to.  So unless you like getting those glaring stares from people I suggest keeping Grados and other open-back headphones strictly for home use.

Apr 24, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
The DJ1 PRO is based on Ultrasone's PRO 550, though I'm not sure how they compare.  In the case of using Grados in plane or other public places, you not only hear everything around you, other will clearly be able to hear what you would be listening to.  So unless you like getting those glaring stares from people I suggest keeping Grados and other open-back headphones strictly for home use.

Thats a real pity, the grados look much better.

Apr 24, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #13 of 18
Yep.  Although to be honest, just about anything is better than any version of the Beats.

Quote:
Ok. thanks. Last question. is the 580 or 780 way way better than Beats Studios? price difference here is about 60$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back