grado 225 transformation
Sep 23, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #17 of 39
You just mentioned the two headphones I'm debating on getting. Could you tell me why you prefer one over the other, and if the 225 is better now, or just more like the 595. I'd love to know if the 595 still maintains a greater soundstage and if detail is comparible without being bright. I'm excited to hear the Grados can mellow, as that is the main reason I've held off, that and soundstage.

Sep 23, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #18 of 39
you have touched on the great sonic debate I have played out all summer.
one any given day I prefer one over the other and back and forth. I "fall in love"
with each after swearing the other was my favorite. Now to the point, I think if
I were to purchase one for the long haul it would be the 595s. I think they are
lush and beautifully clear and a pleasure to listen to. The grados are more fun
and have more energy. They have mellowed so much that I am putting them
through a second "breakin" to watch the sonic signature change. Was that any help?
You can not go wrong with either. Somewhat depends on your source and music preferences.

Sep 23, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #19 of 39
Congrats on break-in. Grado's need big time break in. I mean a 3-400 hours and it's good to have the volume up (but not too loud of course) a little too when doing so. Running bass tones helps as well. Grado's can become a LOT less tipped in the treble and the bass comes out a lot more. I think we'd see fewer and fewer people complain about brightness in Grado's if people would just aggressively break them in. And like the others have said, flat pads and Senn 414 modified pads make a HUGE difference in my experience. There was a post not too long ago from someone who was floored at the difference flats made. The treble is much more balanced and bass/fullness really comes out. Good to hear you have given your 225's the time, congrats.

Sep 23, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #20 of 39
thanks for the confirmation: I was wondering if maybe it was just an auditory
adjustment by my hearing but it definitely is the grado signature change. I will give them an additional 100+ hrs (this is the second breakin) bear in mind they have had about 200 hrs of regular use. I have to tell yoiu, I am thrilled with the change!

Sep 23, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #21 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928
thanks for the confirmation: I was wondering if maybe it was just an auditory
adjustment by my hearing but it definitely is the grado signature change. I will give them an additional 100+ hrs (this is the second breakin) bear in mind they have had about 200 hrs of regular use. I have to tell yoiu, I am thrilled with the change!

A lot of people think break-in is merely your ears adjusting to the sound and nothing further. I give that some merit but do not believe that is solely the reason. Sure, our ears likely do some adjusting but speaker drivers have mechanical suspensions that break in as well as the long cable and it's dielectric properties. Voice coils too, etc. I am a firm believer in break in but concede a small bit of it may be our ears adjusting to the sound.

Sep 23, 2005 at 3:40 AM Post #23 of 39
Wash the Grado bowls and let them dry. Repeat.
This will soften the bowl pad and enhance the comfort.

Sep 23, 2005 at 4:46 AM Post #24 of 39
The 225s kick ass after a few days of sonic workout sessions. Don't waste your money on the flatpads. They diffuse the soundfield and add rediculous bass at the expense of clarity. The comfy pads sound more refined in comparison IMO. Oh, and welcome to the club 225.
wink.gif

Sep 23, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

The 225s kick ass after a few days of sonic workout sessions. Don't waste your money on the flatpads. They diffuse the soundfield and add rediculous bass at the expense of clarity. The comfy pads sound more refined in comparison IMO. Oh, and welcome to the club 225

Oh! you mean that the bowl ones ( the ones standard ) are the "comfy" one?!

Btw, i jest checked the item "flat" pads. it is 30$!! 30$ for 2 pieces of foam. Talking about a markup on a item.

Sep 23, 2005 at 7:25 AM Post #26 of 39
Umm, I think there are (from what I've read):

- Flats ($30)
- Bowl (standard)
- Modded Senns (there is a name, but it slipped my mind)
- Confies (different from the bowls)
- Other even more rarely mentioned that I can't remember

Sep 23, 2005 at 7:57 AM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by A3ntar
Oh! you mean that the bowl ones ( the ones standard ) are the "comfy" one?!

The comfy pads are a different pad than the bowl pads. They come standard on the SR-60 and the Allesandros I think. To me they sound more neutral than either the bowls or the flatpads. Kind of the flat middleground. This is without cutting a hole in the center though.

Quote:

Btw, i jest checked the item "flat" pads. it is 30$!! 30$ for 2 pieces of foam. Talking about a markup on a item.

Yeah, and plus shipping costs. They're worth getting for the curiousity of how boomy and bass heavy you can make your Grados sound but I just can't enjoy music with them. Killer impact though but missing the sharpness.

Sep 23, 2005 at 12:18 PM Post #28 of 39
comfies come only with the sr60. flats came with all the joseph grado headphones. bowls come with all the john grado headphones.

GRADOPADS.jpg

if you are considering flats, reverse your bowls first - do you like what happens to the sound? some people do, others do not. the more you smoosh the drivers towards your ears, the more the reverse bowls will sound like flats.

and for the member complaining about grado 'burn', bend the headband out!
biggrin.gif

hulk6na.jpg

-photoshop credit to member 'guvnor'.

Sep 23, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #30 of 39
I tried the 225's without any pads at all, I mean you cannot get any "flatter" than this, and still the bass was very shy. I don't think I will be spending the extra 30$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back