grado 225 transformation
Sep 23, 2005 at 3:47 PM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by A3ntar
I tried the 225's without any pads at all, I mean you cannot get any "flatter" than this, and still the bass was very shy. I don't think I will be spending the extra 30$.

"Very shy?" How old are they? Are they broken in? Are you amping them? What is your source? They aren't known for having huge, big, deep bass, but not shy.

Sep 23, 2005 at 4:13 PM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by zChan
My L3000, HD25-1, and SR225 all shocked me after several weeks of use.
Especially the SR225. At first I was really disappointed, then one day,
eek.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

agreed. my sr225 did the same thing to me. one day they were unlistenable and really made me wonder what the hype was about and then the other, OMG. now they're one of my favorite headphones.

Quote:

LOL, well, shy is not necessarly bad. Tell me something sean. Will the flats sound any better than no foam at all?

the flats will at least be more comfortable than no foam at all. my personal preference is bowls or senn pads depending on the music. the bowls kill the highs too much, even for music like rap or rock.

Sep 23, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #35 of 39
My 225s seem to be mellowing out.

They have enough bass. If you aren't getting bass from them, try a different amp.

I owned 80s with flat pads and listened to them for years. To me, the flat pads weren't any more comfortable than the current bowl pads. And I don't find the bowl pads uncomfortable.

The only Grado pad upgrade I would recommend is replacing the comfies on the 60s with bowls.

If you are feeling too much pressure on your ears, it's a headband problem, not a pad problem. The headband is metal and flexible. Gently bend it outwards.

P.S. I have a HeadRoom MOH, and the 225s are the only headphones I've had that actually sound better with the crossfeed filter switched on. More depth and less edge.

Jeffery

Sep 23, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

I tried the 225's without any pads at all, I mean you cannot get any "flatter" than this, and still the bass was very shy. I don't think I will be spending the extra 30$.

The type of pad you use gives you the bass response. No pads will just give you the high frequency spectrum.

Sep 23, 2005 at 5:13 PM Post #37 of 39
Quote:

LOL, well, shy is not necessarly bad. Tell me something sean. Will the flats sound any better than no foam at all?

No, they shouldn't, can't get any closer than no pads!
tongue.gif
Well, it's possible the bass could more muddy but you would hear more of it. But, that's why I was looking toward other things. The 225's bass comes out better when amped, when they are broken in, and are fed a good source.

Sep 23, 2005 at 7:25 PM Post #38 of 39
the 225s are also remarkable coming out of ipod shuffle. the clarity is outstanding. I am sure with some amplification it even sounds better. Unfortunately you can't amp a shuffle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back