Grace m902/Benchmark DAC1 or Audio Gd Amp + Dac
Mar 2, 2010 at 7:55 AM Post #16 of 28
Currawong, that was the exact kind of reply I waiting for. Although, if I want to use S/PDIF from my PC I'll have to go right up to the best DAC Audio Gd has, The Reference 7.

I don't have the funds to get a Reference 7 and a highend amp with it. But for what I've heard, amps aren't the most important thing in the audio chain regarding sound quality except there is a major difference between having one and not having one with high end headphones. If I get an amp I'll have to get one in the Audio Gd C2 pricerange.

So basically, if I go this way, my setup will consist of: Foobar2000 w. Kernel Streaming -> M2Tech HiFace -> Audio Gd Reference 7 -> Audio GD C2 -> Sennheiser HD650.

Does this setup sound good? I can't go balanced which bothers me only a little bit.

It is about $400 AUD more than my Grace M902 idea, but from the sounds of it, it sounds as if it is well worth it. I heard the Grace M902 isn't truly worth the money over the Benchmark anyway. I guess I get more for my money from Audio Gd than from an all-in-one.

I guess I'll be saving till christmas then
redface.gif
but I guess I'll appreciate it more
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #17 of 28
You sure you want a analogue-sounding and smooth DAC??? DAC??? I thought you mix/master music. I know so-called real audiophiles look for analogue-sounding and warm and smooth sound signature, but mixing and mastering too?

Mar 2, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by parrot5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You sure you want a analogue-sounding and smooth DAC??? DAC??? I thought you mix/master music. I know so-called real audiophiles look for analogue-sounding and warm and smooth sound signature, but mixing and mastering too?

Analogue to my standards mean neutral, music by itself is analogue and smooth apart from electronic music of course.

But again it depend of the system synergy and many factors.

Mar 3, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

I won't be doing any mixing or mastering. This setup will just be for listening.

Mar 3, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrumpOrMonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So basically, if I go this way, my setup will consist of: Foobar2000 w. Kernel Streaming -> M2Tech HiFace -> Audio Gd Reference 7 -> Audio GD C2 -> Sennheiser HD650.

If you have the HiFace, you only need the Ref 1. However, if you're not going to go balanced in the future, I'd just go with one of the single-ended DACs such as the DAC19 DSP or maybe the DAC3 REF (but check with Kingwa about that one, as I think all the DAC3's are not voiced to be "tube-like"). The way the balanced DACs are designed, if you connect just using the RCA outputs, half the DAC is disabled, so it'd be a waste unless you plan to go balanced in the future, at least with something that takes a balanced input, such as a good pair of powered monitors.

Quote:

You're confusing deliberately coloured DACs with ones that are voiced to be dead neutral. Not all audiophiles like coloured gear. Many do admittedly, and I gather some of the Audio-gd DACs are voiced to be a bit warm of neutral, but not the Ref 1 or Ref 7.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have the HiFace, you only need the Ref 1. However, if you're not going to go balanced in the future, I'd just go with one of the single-ended DACs such as the DAC19 DSP or maybe the DAC3 REF (but check with Kingwa about that one, as I think all the DAC3's are not voiced to be "tube-like"). The way the balanced DACs are designed, if you connect just using the RCA outputs, half the DAC is disabled, so it'd be a waste unless you plan to go balanced in the future, at least with something that takes a balanced input, such as a good pair of powered monitors.

You're confusing deliberately coloured DACs with ones that are voiced to be dead neutral. Not all audiophiles like coloured gear. Many do admittedly, and I gather some of the Audio-gd DACs are voiced to be a bit warm of neutral, but not the Ref 1 or Ref 7.
smily_headphones1.gif

I would be able to use my Yamaha HS-80M's Balanced to the Reference 1 or 7.

I need some sort of S/PDIF input though (preferably coaxial for the M2tech HiFace) and I'm not sure if the Reference 1 has them.

As for Balanced Headphones, I just don't have the money for a Roc or Pheonix
frown.gif
Maybe later on though...

Mar 4, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Currawong, that was the exact kind of reply I waiting for. Although, if I want to use S/PDIF from my PC I'll have to go right up to the best DAC Audio Gd has, The Reference 7.

I don't have the funds to get a Reference 7 and a highend amp with it. But for what I've heard, amps aren't the most important thing in the audio chain regarding sound quality except there is a major difference between having one and not having one with high end headphones. If I get an amp I'll have to get one in the Audio Gd C2 pricerange.

Does this setup sound good? I can't go balanced which bothers me only a little bit.

It is about $400 AUD more than my Grace M902 idea, but from the sounds of it, it sounds as if it is well worth it. I heard the Grace M902 isn't truly worth the money over the Benchmark anyway. I guess I get more for my money from Audio Gd than from an all-in-one.

I guess I'll be saving till christmas then
redface.gif
but I guess I'll appreciate it more
smily_headphones1.gif

Just use a decent converter like the hi-face or even a Musiland Monitor for $70 to the Ref-1 (the Ref-7 is basically the same according to Kingwa except for connectivity). You can use the Ref-1 single ended but if you are going down this road, believe me, you will someday try balanced and you won't go back.
Currawong (and others) said it best- Ref-1 sounds natural and REAL in the best way.

Mar 4, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

I would be able to use my Yamaha HS-80M's Balanced to the Reference 1 or 7.

I need some sort of S/PDIF input though (preferably coaxial for the M2tech HiFace) and I'm not sure if the Reference 1 has them.

As for Balanced Headphones, I just don't have the money for a Roc or Pheonix
frown.gif
Maybe later on though...

Have you seen the picture of the back of the Ref 1? It only has S/PDIF input.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you seen the picture of the back of the Ref 1? It only has S/PDIF input.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the reply Currawong,

Well that's a relief, well then I'll get the Reference 1, I don't think the extra $200 is worth it for extra connectivity.

I might just push ever so slightly towards a Roc if I can! Then get a balanced cable for HD650. We'll see how I go!

I've wanted to go directly to a dynamic rig close to endgame for my first, so I can pay more attention to music. I feel you save money by getting what you truly want first so you don't worry as much about upgrading. I mean, sure, it's great to go for the journey, but I just wouldn't have the funds to start small and then go endgame, if you can understand.

But thanks for the replys! I think I'm pretty set now.

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:55 AM Post #25 of 28
Yeah, we know what you mean. I just ordered a Fun dac and I can't stop thinking I should have gotten the dac19 and an audio-gd preamp instead.
redface.gif

....but if I had gotten that then I would always be thinking how my speakers (audioengine a5) aren't up to snuff. So I'd have to get new speakers and/or a power amp. It never ends, I may just stop coming on head-fi after I get my audio-gd fun to save my sanity/wallet!
biggrin.gif

Im trying to save for house so I think my hifi journey ends here. Hopefully kingwa will still be making excellent and affordable products when Im ready to get my dream system.

Mar 4, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #26 of 28
You know how the DAC will only use four of the PCM1704 chips if I go unbalanced? Lets say I got the Roc and Ref1, and hooked up the Ref1 to the Roc with the left and right XLR output to left and right XLR input, would this mean all the eight chips would be in use?

Also, with the Roc, how it has a single ended 3 pin XLR in the front for the headphones under "balanced" and a 1/4 jack for unbalanced? If I get a single ended XLR cable for the HD650's would it still be balanced? I always thought that balancing requires two XLR's?

Mar 4, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

You know how the DAC will only use four of the PCM1704 chips if I go unbalanced? Lets say I got the Roc and Ref1, and hooked up the Ref1 to the Roc with the left and right XLR output to left and right XLR input, would this mean all the eight chips would be in use?

Also, with the Roc, how it has a single ended 3 pin XLR in the front for the headphones under "balanced" and a 1/4 jack for unbalanced? If I get a single ended XLR cable for the HD650's would it still be balanced? I always thought that balancing requires two XLR's?

ACSS and XLR outputs are balanced. The ROC has a 4-pin (balanced) XLR headphone output, not 3-pin.

Apr 3, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #28 of 28
We're not using 64bit for the audio. It's 64bit clocking. I can see that it might appear confusing, but if you read the Zodiac, it says "64 Bit AFC Technology", which stands for Acoustically Focused Clocking.

Marcel

Quote:

Originally Posted by carm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Today I was reading this thread: really-high-end-new-dac.
And I was impressed with this all-in-one device, though there is not a lot off comments about headhone amp, but DAC itself is quite ahead for future recordings playback. For most digital records it is quite enough or even to much having 24bit / 96kHz DAC. But Antelope Zodiac does it 64bit/96kHz.

Although, Mr. Dan Lavry himself commented that using such technology is overkill for your ears. You should read about it in above mentioned topic.
As I see in their shop list, there is contact number and e-mail for customers from Australia.

----
As for myself I am using RedWineAudio Isabellina HPA, which has DAC, headphone and RCA outputs, you can read about it in the following threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/red...na-hpa-441696/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f70/is...ssions-437559/

Its a little bit out of your budget ($2500 new), but there was a sale on head-fi FS forums
wink.gif

EDIT
I've read that you were interested in any DAC + HP amplifier all-in-one solution: mainly in DAC1 or Lavry DA10. I am sorry, but I can not comment about these products. I haven't had any experience with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back