Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Jun 15, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #2,044 of 2,153
Hi everyone.

I joined recent MD of this and have been using it for about a week.

I tried many inputs; U1, U2, Toslink X with USB powered, External Powered.

I notice that when i use iphone to connect m9xx (using U2 mode, with external powered), it randomly mutes itself, until i replug lightning cable.

My phone still shows being connected with m9xx, so i assume its m9xx problem?

anyone have this problem?

Jun 15, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #2,045 of 2,153
Perhaps unrelated, I encountered a similar issue. I had been using my m9xx sporadically, or at least using it only when the computer was powered on (power provided by the computer). Recently, I setup my m9xx to be permanently powered on (external powered) and connected to a laptop that would still go to sleep. However a day ago, I could not get Redbook to play. I frequently switch bitrates, and the issue occurred when switching to Redbook. I tried different player software, and rebooted my laptop. The issue did not go away until I unplugged the external power and plugged it back in. I did not unplug the USB cable providing the music source.

I cannot say how frequent the issue may occur, as I have never encountered this issue, though I have owned m9xx since its initial release date. Only I have not started, until recent, to run m9xx powered on 24/7. So perhaps it is a related issue. I will keep tabs and let you know if it repeats.

Jun 15, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #2,047 of 2,153
Also @fjrabon , I have come full circle after spending a little more time on F1 with the Grace. I bought an M900 myself and now think it sounds better than anything Schiit makes below a thousand dollars. It just sounds much more transparent (easier to pick out guitar amps and vocal effects) with much more variance in instrument and vocal tones depending on the recording being played.

The Schiit and DACport implementations of the same AK4490 chip just sounded way more colored when used as just DACs than the Grace too. It makes me really want to hear the new RME ADI-2 Pro converter that everyone is raving about how it performs superbly both objectively (highest AD SNR specs ever, DA SNR competitive with Yggy but below the Apogee Symphony) and subjectively (sounds much clearer and less colored than the Apogee and other pro stuff that measures better than it in Digital -> Analog). The RME headamp section is supposedly warm and way overpowered for dynamics and but not enough for the HE-6 though.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #2,049 of 2,153
Just joined the new Massdrop- planning to use it with Mr Speakers new Aeon- any impressions on the combo?

Fatastique!
The Aeon is composed, balanced. The m9xx is an excellent source, with a good combination of enough power and detail. The two go well together! The chain I'm currently using is iBasso DX80 > Grace Design m9xx > MrSpeakers Aeon.

Aug 11, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #2,052 of 2,153
Aug 26, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #2,053 of 2,153
Hello,

Have the m9xx for some times now, use it with my computer, got a better sound, particuliary with headphones.
I have bought this week a new TV (Sony KD-55X720E) and tried to connect it to the m9xx with the Toslink. All i got was a loud ''digital'' high pitched sound when i switch the M9xx to the Toslink input.
I did tried it with and without the computer connected at the same time to the m9xx, but the same problematic sound continue. The Toslink from the TV work well if plugued directly in my audio receiver, but i then miss the quality of m9xx headphones output.
Anything i do wrong or is the tv and the Dac incompatible?

Aug 26, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #2,054 of 2,153
Hello,

Have the m9xx for some times now, use it with my computer, got a better sound, particuliary with headphones.
I have bought this week a new TV (Sony KD-55X720E) and tried to connect it to the m9xx with the Toslink. All i got was a loud ''digital'' high pitched sound when i switch the M9xx to the Toslink input.
I did tried it with and without the computer connected at the same time to the m9xx, but the same problematic sound continue. The Toslink from the TV work well if plugued directly in my audio receiver, but i then miss the quality of m9xx headphones output.
Anything i do wrong or is the tv and the Dac incompatible?

You probably need to switch the TV output to PCM.
It is most likely outputting the default signal, which is Dolby Digital, and which is incompatible with the Grace Design m9xx.

Aug 27, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #2,055 of 2,153
Also @fjrabon , I have come full circle after spending a little more time on F1 with the Grace. I bought an M900 myself and now think it sounds better than anything Schiit makes below a thousand dollars. It just sounds much more transparent (easier to pick out guitar amps and vocal effects) with much more variance in instrument and vocal tones depending on the recording being played.

The Schiit and DACport implementations of the same AK4490 chip just sounded way more colored when used as just DACs than the Grace too. It makes me really want to hear the new RME ADI-2 Pro converter that everyone is raving about how it performs superbly both objectively (highest AD SNR specs ever, DA SNR competitive with Yggy but below the Apogee Symphony) and subjectively (sounds much clearer and less colored than the Apogee and other pro stuff that measures better than it in Digital -> Analog). The RME headamp section is supposedly warm and way overpowered for dynamics and but not enough for the HE-6 though.
Schitt have always been hit and miss to me. I like the Vali2 and I think the Modi MB as well as the Jotunheim amp is great. As to whether they are "better" than the m9xx I can't tell cos the Schiit combo is more colored. But I do think Grace's implementation of the AKM chip is the best among <$1000 amp/DAC. If anything, the m9xx resembles the Hugo more than anything else in the price range

Users who are viewing this thread

Back