Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Oct 26, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #91 of 2,153

Hi, no worries at all, hope it was of some use to you! 
beerchug.gif

I would say the m9XX is a great compliment to the QP1R, as both have overall different sounding signatures.

The m9XX is more of a balanced sound, and the QP1R has noticeably more treble and bass extension than the m9XX.  As a result the m9XX may be perceived as sounding smoother and more natural, and the QP1R may be perceived as sounding brighter, have immense focus, but is highly detailed as well.  Both sound signatures are amazing and I can see both getting lots of listening time and the favorite will vary based on one's mood for the day.  If you decide to get the m9XX, you'll have both that will go great together.

Thanks Moe, kinda of feel the sound of m9xx based on your description. Have always wanted the Grace 920 but the analytical SQ  by many had me hold back a little. Maybe now is the time.. Too many new product this year. I am happy to know I will be very broke soon...

Oct 26, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #93 of 2,153
Gotta admit.. it feels nice to join in on MD exclusive stuff because it makes me feel like I'm part of some special club whenever I log in here on headfi. Lol. Felt pretty special after joining the CustomArt Ei.xx drop as well. 

Oct 26, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #94 of 2,153
First off, get the HD800s because... obviously. And second, yeah, if you got a 800 dollar system for 200, then I wouldn't bother upgrading/sidegrading either. How did you get such a nice deal on the Sony btw?

Woot! had a crazy deal on the UDA1 about 3 -4 months ago. It was $200 brand new and it shipped from Amazon. Honestly it sounds pretty good, it's just really big and takes up a lot of desk space.

Yeah I thought the same thing about the HD800s. I'm definitely going to be liquidating some headphones to pick them up (after reading some reviews come out)

Oct 26, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #98 of 2,153
Woot! had a crazy deal on the UDA1 about 3 -4 months ago. It was $200 brand new and it shipped from Amazon. Honestly it sounds pretty good, it's just really big and takes up a lot of desk space.

Yeah I thought the same thing about the HD800s. I'm definitely going to be liquidating some headphones to pick them up (after reading some reviews come out)

I got the same deal. I really like the UDA-1 but there's a lot to like about the M9XX and I'm thinking about potentially selling the UDA-1 and grabbing some active monitors if I really enjoy the M9XX and want to have both headphones and speakers in my office rig. Worst case scenario I move the M9XX to a new home and someone else will enjoy it. My K812's aren't hard to power, so I'm not sure if I'll notice any huge gains, but the crossfeed and filters are a nice plus IMO over the Sony (which if you can find one for cheap, is still a great product).

Oct 26, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #99 of 2,153
I got the same deal. I really like the UDA-1 but there's a lot to like about the M9XX and I'm thinking about potentially selling the UDA-1 and grabbing some active monitors if I really enjoy the M9XX and want to have both headphones and speakers in my office rig. Worst case scenario I move the M9XX to a new home and someone else will enjoy it. My K812's aren't hard to power, so I'm not sure if I'll notice any huge gains, but the crossfeed and filters are a nice plus IMO over the Sony (which if you can find one for cheap, is still a great product).

Yeah I agree there is a lot about it that makes me want to jump into the drop. I just don't know if it's an impulse buy situation that is making me want to get it. Ok that's a lie I know it's an impulse urge lol

Oct 26, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #100 of 2,153
As I use a Linux OS on my computers, I asked for confirmation that the M9XX would be compatible without the need for special drivers. I did receive a rapid response to my question, and yes, it is plug-and-play compatible, confirmed by testing with a Ubuntu box. Soon my computer will have a new playmate!

Oct 26, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #101 of 2,153
Heard the Grace m9xx recently at a local event with moedawg. From just my phone and little battery the m9xx just sounded absolutely wonderful. Had my he500 plugged in along with moe's he1000 and both got to quite high volume which was super neato. The m9xx is without a doubt an excellent value at $499, shame for me that school is tad pricey otherwise I wouldn't mind getting the m9xx this drop.

Got the o2 at home and have had it for a year and if you are on the fence between the o2 or the grace I would definitely recommend spending the extra cash to get the grace! 

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Oct 26, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #102 of 2,153
I have a question concerning the power input vs the usb input. It states for high power mode you would need to connect power in to both usb slots... would this not disable the playback of files above 24/96 resolution?

That being said, would the single power input (low power mode) be able to power higher impedance headphones? I am particularly interested in any thoughts regarding synergy with sennheiser hd700?

Any responses are greatly appreciated. I am interested as hell, but the issues regarding power concerns me. 

Oct 26, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #103 of 2,153
OK Joined the Drop.  Can't wait.  Looking to compare this to my Schiit mini stack with my HD700s. 

Oct 26, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #105 of 2,153
Man o'man! Do I jump on this now or wait and grab one from the classifieds in a few weeks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back