Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Oct 26, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #76 of 2,153
The Odac and the new grace use mini and micro USB connectors respectively. Neither use the more common A/B USB cable. Buying a high end gold plated diamond encrusted cryogenically tempered llama intestine insulated camel hair dialectic kissed by God cable may be an issue

If you are talking about common, micro USB is the most common cable out there as every phone that isn't an Apple phone uses the connector. Some Sony cameras use the connector, too. Most portable DAPs use the micro connector. The mini connector used by the ODAC is stupid and needs to change, whether you like using "diamond encrusted god cables" or just a good value Anker usb micro cable. Nobody should be designing with mini links anymore. The only advantage it has is connector strength (you don't need locking pins that fail on the mini because of it's shape). There are lots of audiophile micro cables if you want to go that direction and believe or know that it makes a difference. If you get an expensive mini cable, you'll probably have one thing you use it with, the ODAC. The Grace m9xx uses the much more common micro connection.

Oct 26, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #77 of 2,153
Hey Moe, thanks for the review. does the m9xx treble and bass extension similar to q1pr?

Hi, no worries at all, hope it was of some use to you! 
beerchug.gif

I would say the m9XX is a great compliment to the QP1R, as both have overall different sounding signatures.

The m9XX is more of a balanced sound, and the QP1R has noticeably more treble and bass extension than the m9XX.  As a result the m9XX may be perceived as sounding smoother and more natural, and the QP1R may be perceived as sounding brighter, have immense focus, but is highly detailed as well.  Both sound signatures are amazing and I can see both getting lots of listening time and the favorite will vary based on one's mood for the day.  If you decide to get the m9XX, you'll have both that will go great together.

Oct 26, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #79 of 2,153
That's a really great news! I had been looking for budget upgrade from O2/ODAC for a long time. It seems this is it...probably?

I'm gettin' both and plan to compare.

Oct 26, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #80 of 2,153
If you are talking about common, micro USB is the most common cable out there as every phone that isn't an Apple phone uses the connector. Some Sony cameras use the connector, too. Most portable DAPs use the micro connector. The mini connector used by the ODAC is stupid and needs to change, whether you like using "diamond encrusted god cables" or just a good value Anker usb micro cable. Nobody should be designing with mini links anymore. The only advantage it has is connector strength (you don't need locking pins that fail on the mini because of it's shape). There are lots of audiophile micro cables if you want to go that direction and believe or know that it makes a difference. If you get an expensive mini cable, you'll probably have one thing you use it with, the ODAC. The Grace m9xx uses the much more common micro connection.

Ahh, ok. Makes sense. thanks for the explanation.

Oct 26, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #83 of 2,153
Just joined too!

Oct 26, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #84 of 2,153
26 sold in 5 minutes. Not bad!

Oct 26, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #86 of 2,153
Does anyone on this thread have any experience with the Sony UDA1? I was thinking joining this drop because of all the extremely pleased reviews for the size, performance and price point of the M9xx. Do you guys think this would be a worthy upgrade or more of a lateral move? I like the sound of the Sony, but it's pretty large and I don't need the speaker taps and it takes up a lot of room.

Oct 26, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #87 of 2,153
Does anyone on this thread have any experience with the Sony UDA1? I was thinking joining this drop because of all the extremely pleased reviews for the size, performance and price point of the M9xx. Do you guys think this would be a worthy upgrade or more of a lateral move? I like the sound of the Sony, but it's pretty large and I don't need the speaker taps and it takes up a lot of room.

It will not be an upgrade for the DAC portion of your DACMini CX. The Sony has a pretty good DAC, but a average amp. Will the grace sound different? Possibly. Will it sound better? That is always hard to say. Also depends on what headphones you are using. The grace might drive the T90 better (or other high impedance cans) in high power mode. It also depends on how sensitive your ears are. Even though you probably got the Sony for $200, it originally sold for 800, sells now for 450, and is worth that much as a desktop amp competing with the NAD 3020. The grace is a dedicated DAC headphone amp and will compete better with your DACMini. Unless you are well trained in the variances between amps, the grace will probably be a tiny bit better at best.

Still, it's cool and I want one!

Oct 26, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #88 of 2,153
Hi, do you have an idea how m9XX compares to the Resonessence Concero HP DAC/amp?
Or - more importantly - how it pairs with the Beyerdynamic DT 880 (600) and MrSpeakers Aplha Prime?

Thank you. 

Oct 26, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #89 of 2,153
Awesome thanks for the info! I actually don't have the a lot of the stuff on my profile anymore, I keep forgetting to update. My main headphone is the th900 now.

Anyway the answer on how good the Sony is for the price I paid, which was $200, does seem to make the most sense. I guess I don't really need it, but it just seems so cool! I guess I will just save my monies for a used HD 800 or the HD 800s! :)

Oct 26, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #90 of 2,153
Awesome thanks for the info! I actually don't have the a lot of the stuff on my profile anymore, I keep forgetting to update. My main headphone is the th900 now.

Anyway the answer on how good the Sony is for the price I paid, which was $200, does seem to make the most sense. I guess I don't really need it, but it just seems so cool! I guess I will just save my monies for a used HD 800 or the HD 800s!
smily_headphones1.gif

First off, get the HD800s because... obviously. And second, yeah, if you got a 800 dollar system for 200, then I wouldn't bother upgrading/sidegrading either. How did you get such a nice deal on the Sony btw?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back