GR07's, so scared of the sibilance, RE-262's, worried about laid back treble
Sep 5, 2012 at 2:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ethanw

Head-Fier
I have no experience with high-ish end IEM's.  From all the reviews I've read, it seems that I've narrowed my next purchase down to the GR07 and the RE-262.  I know they are very different, but the two sound signatures both sound alluring to me.  I am however worried about sibilance in the GR07.  I'm pretty sensitive to harsh treble.  On the other hand, I fear the 262's will be too laid back.  The 262's are the safer bet because I know I can live with less treble, but too much will make me hate my music.  Is there an IEM out there that is like the person love child of the 262 and the GR07?  Maybe slightly mid forward, slightly.  With resolving,  non-fatiguing treble (not as laid back as the 262), rich but controlled bass, expansive soundstage under $200?  Good dynamics are important to me too.  I'll give up some other qualities to get it.

Sep 5, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 6
What is your source for using these IEM's? This will play apart in how much sibilance will occur with GR07. The treble isn't what I would call harsh, GRO7 sibilance resides mostly in upper mids and doesn't so much effect instruments more than vocals. Word shaping is where it can fall apart when sources with higher output impedance are used.

Like Ssshh Tttttth and Ccchhh words.

Sep 5, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
What is your source for using these IEM's? This will play apart in how much sibilance will occur with GR07. The treble isn't what I would call harsh, GRO7 sibilance resides mostly in upper mids and doesn't so much effect instruments more than vocals. Word shaping is where it can fall apart when sources with higher output impedance are used.
Like Ssshh Tttttth and Ccchhh words.

All sorts of music, all high bitrate MP3 rips through an iPod.  Maybe with an E11 amp. Eventually FLAC through a new portable player (non iPod).   I may also use them for CD's and vinyl through a Marantz receiver.  All music types: indie rock, rock, SOME hip hop (very little really), jazz, classical, some older break-beat type stuff (Portishead), Folk, 90's post punk instrumental (Tortoise, lot's of Tortoise), classical, punk, more ephemeral electronic with nice textured synth, Aphex twin, acoustic stuff  .  .  .    I've been listening to more indie rock lately (Belle and Sebastian early years).  The problem with that is that I would be dealing with some recordings of lesser quality where vocals may have more pronounced sibilance to begin with.  Perhaps the more forgiving IEM would be best to get first, and I can pick up another one down the road.

Sep 5, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #4 of 6
Wasn't the sibilance issue mostly fixed in the Mk2 update? Those are what I have and I haven't really noticed any sibilance. And I only have maybe 60 hours on them so far. 

Sep 5, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 6
I have used both of them for a while. The GR07 do has some sibilance and mostly resides in upper mids while its extreme high does not detailed.
RE272 actually doesn’t soud that lazy like other Hifiman's IEM, but it still provide a good mid~

Sep 5, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #6 of 6
All sorts of music, all high bitrate MP3 rips through an iPod.  Maybe with an E11 amp. Eventually FLAC through a new portable player (non iPod).   I may also use them for CD's and vinyl through a Marantz receiver.  All music types: indie rock, rock, SOME hip hop (very little really), jazz, classical, some older break-beat type stuff (Portishead), Folk, 90's post punk instrumental (Tortoise, lot's of Tortoise), classical, punk, more ephemeral electronic with nice textured synth, Aphex twin, acoustic stuff  .  .  .    I've been listening to more indie rock lately (Belle and Sebastian early years).  The problem with that is that I would be dealing with some recordings of lesser quality where vocals may have more pronounced sibilance to begin with.  Perhaps the more forgiving IEM would be best to get first, and I can pick up another one down the road.

Well there's no problem with GR07 handling those genres with ease, it will suffer form lower bitrates and lower quality recordings. Even with everything at 320kps I have problems, some albums just won't play well. Most importantly your ipod and E11 combo would be a good pairing for GR07, the ipod alone I wouldn't keep around for too long IMO. I'd be surprised after 200 hours break in if the sibilance does bother you using those two sources combined (ipod/E11). So it's safe to keep on your list of choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back