GR07 Treble Spikes
Oct 16, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #16 of 21
Importantly, sibilance mostly depends on the track. There are several tracks that are mastered with treble spikes throughout the recording. Unfortunately, the GR07 will not hide this at all. It's treble presentation, however, makes it simply great throughout the frequency range. There are smoother iems, though.

Oct 19, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #17 of 21
While I don't hear the GR07 Mk2 as particularly sibilant, I do think that their highs leave something to be desired, especially as measured by the otherwise excellent quality and value of these IEMs.

What I mean is, that I hear their highs as not overly refined and in fact somewhat simplistic (e.g. their rendering of cymbals), plus there's a faint, but audible "sizzle" at certain frequencies (not unlike the sound of boiling oil in a pan). For those interested, get yourself a good recording of Vaughan Williams' "The Lark Ascending" and listen for the violin, as it moves up and down the scale. The "sizzle" at certain frequencies is actually not very hard to catch and once you're aware of it, quite annoying. 

Just for the record, I've A/Bed the GR07 with similarly revealing IEMs and tried various recordings, and imo it's definitely the phone, not the source material. About 120 hours of use now and things haven't been changing significantly to my ears.

Don't get me wrong, overall I'd still rate the GR07 Mk2 as one of the very best bang/buck phones I've ever heard, but probably wouldn't recommend them for classical music, because of their highs.

Oct 19, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:
While I don't hear the GR07 Mk2 as particularly sibilant, I do think that their highs leave something to be desired, especially as measured by the otherwise excellent quality and value of these IEMs.

What I mean is, that I hear their highs as not overly refined and in fact somewhat simplistic (e.g. their rendering of cymbals), plus there's a faint, but audible "sizzle" at certain frequencies (not unlike the sound of boiling oil in a pan). For those interested, get yourself a good recording of Vaughan Williams' "The Lark Ascending" and listen for the violin, as it moves up and down the scale. The "sizzle" at certain frequencies is actually not very hard to catch and once you're aware of it, quite annoying. 

Just for the record, I've A/Bed the GR07 with similarly revealing IEMs and tried various recordings, and imo it's definitely the phone, not the source material. About 120 hours of use now and things haven't been changing significantly to my ears.

Don't get me wrong, overall I'd still rate the GR07 Mk2 as one of the very best bang/buck phones I've ever heard, but probably wouldn't recommend them for classical music, because of their highs.

Thanks for this. I'll A/B with the HF3 later on today to see if I can catch this phenomenon.

Oct 24, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #19 of 21
Ok after burning in my GR07's I have now had a chance to test then on a few different sources in various locations. To begin with I think that after the burn in stage they don't sound as harsh on my ears, this maybe be due to a few other reasons though.

Firstly when using my iphone 4 I now only put the sound to half way (50% volume), at this volume rarely do I get and harsh treble and can listen quit comfortably. However if I turn that volume up one more click (56% volume) that when I start the hear the highs change and sibilance begins to kick in, one more click (62.5% volume) and some snare can become painful to listen too. The 50% volume is fine when I am at work or at home. The only issue I have is when I am on the bus, or walking outside (if there is background noise) I can barely hear any bass and the background noise is too over powering meaning that I have to turn the headphones up, which then results in harsh treble.

However when I listen to them on my computer, the headphones sound amazing (well compared to the iphone). The highs and mids are so much clearer, and the sub-bass is so much more noticeable. It's not till I listen to my iphone that I realize how much of the sub-bass is missing. I can turn the volume up louder and the treble spikes are basically gone.

So when playing the GR07s on a good sound card, they are almost the perfect headphones for me. I think that If I had the same sound quality out of my iohone I wouldn't have a problem with them when on the bus or outside.

So if I was to get an amp would this help with increasing the sub-bass and sound quality when playing them on my iphone? Or is will that just basically increase the volume and remain the same sound quality?

[size=8pt][/size]

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #20 of 21
[size=10pt]Ok just a quick update. Now after using the GR07’s for, I'm guessing 500+ hours I no longer have any problem with the treble spikes. I think the burn in period must have got rid of them. Now that these spikes have gone I no longer have any issue with the lack of bass as I can now turn them up alot louder and the bass is more noticeable. So to sum it up I am really happy with my GR07 now and have no more problems at all![/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back