GR07 Treble Spikes
Oct 15, 2012 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

myxf87

New Head-Fier
Hey

I have had GR07’s for about two weeks now and I have been getting some quite bad treble spikes. I’m not too sure if it’s the headphones or is it is just that my ears are sensitive to a certain frequency. After listening for a while my ears get sore and the sound is unpleasant.

It there anything I can do to prevent this like change the tips? I can’t eq because I stream most of my music on my iphone and you can only eq if it it’s in your library, thanks Apple.

Does anyone else seem to get these uncomfortable treble spikes with their GR07’s?

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:
sibilance?

i hear them from time to time on mine but its not that often now
maybe burn them in

[size=10pt]Yeah, it isn’t so much in the vocal though but more when the snare hits it is quiet piercing.[/size] I listen to electronic music, but tested it on non electronic music and I wasn’t a noticeable. The problem is that I only listen to electronic music though.

[size=10pt]I will try and burn them in a bit more and see if that helps. Have you noticed much difference in sound after their burnt in?[/size]

Oct 16, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 21
How many hours have they done? You want to get them up to about 150 hours for starters.

What source are you using? (your player) If it's iphone or touch 3Gen or above you can try the EQ apps such as SonicMAX Pro and Equalizer. (won't help for streaming though)

Also try using comply foam tips to tame the treble a touch. If it's only occasionally biting foam should help calm those areas.

Follow the link. (the linked tips or within the sentence (these tips)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/579151/gr07-tips-thread/105#post_8634431

Oct 16, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:
How many hours have they done? You want to get them up to about 150 hours for starters.
What source are you using? (your player) If it's iphone or touch 3Gen or above you can try the EQ apps such as SonicMAX Pro and Equalizer. (won't help for streaming though)
Also try using comply foam tips to tame the treble a touch. If it's only occasionally biting foam should help calm those areas.
Follow the link. (the linked tips or within the sentence (these tips)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/579151/gr07-tips-thread/105#post_8634431

I think they have only done a bit over 50 hours so I will burn them over the next few days and see if that helps. I’m just playing it though my iphone and have those apps so Il eq when I’m not streaming aswell.

I think my ears are quiet sensitive unfortunately, whenever I go out and there is loud music my ears get sore. So it is probably more my sensitive ears than the headphone, however these earphone are the first to ever cause me discomfort due to the treble.  

Thanks for the link for info on the tips. Il go check the thread out and maybe switch to foam tips if burning in doesn’t help.

Oct 16, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #6 of 21
Mine were a little bit hot new if I remember rightly and they did calm. 50 hours is still pretty early.

Keep then burning. I mean Vsonic recommend 250 - 300 hours roughly. So it's only early days yet for you.

Goodluck.

Oct 16, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:
Mine were a little bit hot new if I remember rightly and they did calm. 50 hours is still pretty early.
Keep then burning. I mean Vsonic recommend 250 - 300 hours roughly. So it's only early days yet for you.
Goodluck.

Yeah 50 is still early, so there is still lots of time for them to improve. Thanks for you help.

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #10 of 21
They are definitely a bit harsh when you get them out of the box. Trebles are sibilant, mids lack depth. As others here have said though, they improve considerably with burn-in and are currently my favourite IEM's for pretty much all genre's of music except classic rock, where I prefer the UE TF10's.

Stick with them till you have a couple of hundred hours on them. They are really very good.

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #11 of 21
I was going to say the same thing. The treble wont hurt so much at a lower volume. I now listen considerably quieter than i used to.
Quote:
Try lowering you normal listening volume.

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #12 of 21
It's well documented that Sony Hybrids/Shure PA757 tips tame those spikes a bit without making the sound dull. IME though, the GR07's 6k spike on the MKI wasn't that bad and the MKII's is said to be tamed. 

As mentioned, lower volume helps, maybe try foam tips as well as the higher isolation of these kind of tips will allow lower volume levels. 

Oct 16, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #13 of 21
Yeah I have been lowering the volume lately when I’m at home and work, they just need to be turned up a bit more when I’m on the bus because of all the outside noise.

I have been burning them in since yesterday so il do that for a few more days and see how they go. They have definitely improved since new and as they have only been used for around 50 hours there should be lots of time for improvement.

I am currently using Sony hybrids which isolate very well and fit comfortably. If I still have issues after the burn in period I try some foam tips out.

After testing my Monster Turbine Pros Copper‘s out this morning they are definitely easier on my ears and I can turn them up to high volumes without any spikes or discomfort. I like my GR07’s better though so hopefully after burning them in they will sound perfect and be my number 1 IEM’s earphones.

Il let you know how it all goes.

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #14 of 21
Remember GR07 is originally tuned with low volume listening in mind, so what ever peak that give detail on lower volume will likely become overshoot at higher volume.

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #15 of 21
Try to insert them as deep as possible as well, go for tips that allow this, helps both seal and midhigh presentation. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back