GR07 MKII vs. EPH-100 for mainly EDM
Jun 12, 2013 at 10:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tom1l21

New Head-Fier
I mainly listen to trance, but occasionally do enjoy many other genres as well including rock, classical, and hip-hop.  I've heard that for trance, or EDM in general, the EPH-100 provide a better sound, especially in the bass department (but with lackluster treble) but the MKII's sound clearer and more accurate overall.  Would I be better off to go with the MKII's and tweak some eq settings for some stronger bass or just settle on the EPH-100's?  I don't need overwhelming bass, but when listening to EDM, I do want it to make its presence known.

Since these IEM's are almost 2 years old, would I be better off waiting a month or two for something new (my range is up to $180) coming down the pipe or are these still top of their class? Thanks.

Jun 12, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 6
You should try some new IEMs like Philips S2, JVC FXZ200 and both provide punchy bass yet overall very detailed soundsignature.

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 6
Agree with jawar on the jvcs.
I listen to lots of trance and edms as well and the fxz200 serves me real good.
Havn't tried the philips but I can assure you wont be let down by the triple dynamic driver jvc's in that department.

Btw i never listen to music without playing around with the eq.
Finding the perfect eq setting for you that pairs up nicely with a certain iem makes all the difference.
For me, the particular iem makes the biggest difference in the music quality for me (whether mp3, flac, etc)
but the dap and it's settings has a major influence as well.
iem to dap i would say a 60/40.
its up to that 40% that will make the 60% sound good over my years of experience.
just like musical instruments.

so i would try playing around with the eq first since you do have two nice iems.
try two eq profiles. one for the gr07 and one for the eph.
if you're still not happy, try something new.
if you find something that satisfies you, great! and you save money
normal_smile .gif

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #5 of 6
Thx for the informative post. I never really mess with the EQ so its good to know that I should probably do so.  The EPH-100'S are beautiful looking to me (compared to the GR07) so if it wasn't for that is probably buy the GR07's by now.  I'll check out the  new VSonics too.

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 6
np:wink:
I view EQ experimenting as using a particular IEM to it's full potential.
For example, don't know if you would understand but from my musical background,
you never plug in an guitar into an amp and not experiment with the EQ.
It would just disgrace both the instrument and the amp not to.
In this analogy your IEM would be the instrument and the amp, your dap.
There is no reason not to mess around with the EQ especially if you have a specific sound you are looking for.

Btw have you tried out the VSonic GR07 Bass Edition?
It might be a solution for you. The aesthetic design is the same as the MKII though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back