Got the Ultrasone pro 900 but can only hear from the left side
Apr 11, 2011 at 9:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

dadab12

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I got the ultrasone pro 900 today, connected it to a focusrite saffire pro 24 dsp audio interface via the headphone jack and the focusrite thorugh a FireWire to the computer.
I can only hear from the left side and I also tried it on the ipod but still the same...
do you have a clue? did I get a faulty pair?

Apr 11, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #3 of 24
It's alright, the cable supposedly wasn't attached too good.
now it's great. but the sound is not that good still, the audio interface should be sufficient for them right?
I made an unboxing video if you'd like to watch in your free time, i'll post it later and write impressions.

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #4 of 24
It SHOULD be okay with an interface (depending on the interface, of course). I've heard they need some burn in.

On topic, the cable problem was one I had with my first Ultrasones as well. You've gotta get that all the way in there.

It's alright, the cable supposedly wasn't attached too good.
now it's great. but the sound is not that good still, the audio interface should be sufficient for them right?
I made an unboxing video if you'd like to watch in your free time, i'll post it later and write impressions.

Apr 11, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #5 of 24
Yeah I figured it out, but it's pretty loose nonetheless. The interface is a pain in the ass, I'm about to buy a portable amp to use too. well here goes my money , i'm addicted.

Apr 11, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #7 of 24
Yeah, I'm going to use it with an ipod aswell, but i'm yet to be satisfied with what I hear.
eventhough I noticed how it excels in electronics, the soundstage is pretty narrow to me at the moment, and the mid range is not what I expected..

Apr 11, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #8 of 24

Quote:
Yeah, I'm going to use it with an ipod aswell, but i'm yet to be satisfied with what I hear.
eventhough I noticed how it excels in electronics, the soundstage is pretty narrow to me at the moment, and the mid range is not what I expected..

It should improve after some burn in, like toaster mentioned...just play some music!! 

oh..i forgot about the kees mod. 

Apr 11, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #9 of 24
The thing is, it's not plug and play for me, I need to check for guides for the focusrite...
guys, the focusrite is a decent sound card right? how does it compare to let's say the uHA-120 in terms of sound quality? appreciate it. cause I plan on buying it for portable use.
it's amazing how it gets better with each song, it's like it doesn't wanna stun me right away so it takes step by step to impress me, well done.

ps. the details are coming altogether, the vocals are much more balanced and pronounced.. the bass is not overpowering nothing, it mixes with everything pretty much perfect. I a little disappointed at first but not so much now .. :) still more to wait for though

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #10 of 24
I was told you'll need about 400+ hours of burn-in for those PRO 900s to sound good. You could also try the Kees Mod.

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #11 of 24
Thanks, At first they sounded worse than my cx500! 
now they are fantastic and so fun. the bass is tight and fast. I love it Now it's time to buy some moaaaar!! I can't stop,. all my savings are gonna go to HiFi?

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #12 of 24

Quote:
now they are fantastic and so fun. the bass is tight and fast. I love it Now it's time to buy some moaaaar!! I can't stop,. all my savings are gonna go to HiFi?

Unfortunately, yes.
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #13 of 24
Welcome to Head-Fi. And yes. All you money will always be gone all the time...on Headphones

Apr 11, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #15 of 24

Quote:
Yeah I figured it out, but it's pretty loose nonetheless. The interface is a pain in the ass, I'm about to buy a portable amp to use too. well here goes my money , i'm addicted.

^ This concerns me. What are you referring to as "loose?" If you're referring to the cable end that plugs into the headphones then you must have a bad cable or you're doing it wrong. Are you aware that it is a screw-in plug? The way you describe your issues such as sound only coming through the left channel and disappointing sound quality lead me to believe that you did not attach the cable correctly.

You can't just stick it in casually and screw it in. You have to exert some force so that the threads of the screw catch on, then you can commence to rotate the cable. After a few rotations the cable should be nice and snug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back