Got the HD800....the cynic is now speechless
Sep 12, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #211 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Brightness doesn't refer to what's "on top". It refers to the region in the upper mids, around 6-8khz (give or take).

Same as darkness. Would likely occur in the 50-200hZ range, although a lack of presence in the 2-8kHz area would contribute..

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #213 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
question. many folks bickered that they are plastic. why are they cold to the touch then?

The protagonist in Ghost Story wondered the same thing. Are you suggesting that they are ghost headphones?

Mine are not cold to the touch. But nothing is today; it's in the 80's here.

If you want a serious answer, mine is that your mental model has not yet encompassed the immensity of the extraordinary range of materials that we all call "plastic."

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #214 of 233
well, that is some strange plastic there
bigsmile_face.gif

music_man

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #217 of 233
Regarding the plastic of the HD800...you gotta see it and touch it but first and foremost, hear it to appreciate it. The comfort is beyond any headphone I've had the privilege to listen to and the HD800 is the perfect balance of material and craftmanship with no compromise in sound...no creaks, vibrations, rumbles, distortion of discomfort to annoy and detract from the purest listening experience.

I'm at peace also, as skace so eloquently put it. This headphone doesn't need to be sold, or hyped, it is amazing.

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #218 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's balanced HD650 like compare to unbalanced HD800 ?

Since no one has answered yet, in my not so extensive comparison of both of them I found the HD800 superior but the balanced 650 are not that far away while still retaining their character (I guess what I'm saying is that they still retain pretty much their sound signature). At least that was my opinion that comes from some hours hearing both side to side. I'm looking forward to more experienced users than me giving their opinion.

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #219 of 233
i think their build is top notch. i also agree the comfort is amazing. they sort of have the material stretched over the cups like the qualia but it is soft velvet instead of hard leather. i also realised the cups are big enough to slide them up to wear in bed but then i don't get as good sound.

i guess the huge issue for me would be they just don't jive with my equipment. for me at least. i'll have to read through and see what folks are driving them with.

music_man

Sep 16, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #220 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regarding the plastic of the HD800...you gotta see it and touch it but first and foremost, hear it to appreciate it. The comfort is beyond any headphone I've had the privilege to listen to and the HD800 is the perfect balance of material and craftmanship with no compromise in sound...no creaks, vibrations, rumbles, distortion of discomfort to annoy and detract from the purest listening experience.

I'm at peace also, as skace so eloquently put it. This headphone doesn't need to be sold, or hyped, it is amazing.

Could not agree more. When I put them on and start listening to the first song I am floored by the sound every time.

Sep 16, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #221 of 233
I haven't noticed the HD-800 to be cold to the touch, either, but it's still fairly warm out.

Though the plastic debate has been discussed ad nauseum metal does not necessarily equal quality.

Metal rings. Metal has resonances that plastics do not have.

It is my understanding that Sennheiser commenced research on the HD-800 in 2002.

With Sennheiser's resources, I am confident that they experimented with a range of materials. Further, they chose one that is as acoustically "dead" as possible while also being sturdy. These headphones are not flimsy. Keep in mind that they were developed for home use. I think the build quality is more than adequate for going between my head and the nightstand. I expect decades of use from them and intend to use them for decades. If there's paint wear five or ten years on, I won't care as long as they sound the same. Cosmetics do not deserve half the scrutiny they receive here.

Sep 16, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #222 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Strummer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since no one has answered yet, in my not so extensive comparison of both of them I found the HD800 superior but the balanced 650 are not that far away while still retaining their character (I guess what I'm saying is that they still retain pretty much their sound signature). At least that was my opinion that comes from some hours hearing both side to side. I'm looking forward to more experienced users than me giving their opinion.

Balanced HD800 vs Balanced HD650:
The HD800's are better balanced overall, the HD650 has a muddled and bloated bass in comparison, the HD800 goes deeper with a lot more style. Midrange is nice with the HD650's if not a little recessed and not as punchy, again the HD800's focus, tone, timbre and speed clearly out class the HD650. The HD650's rolled off treble is no comparison for the HD800's, treble extension with the HD800's is really good. HD800's soundstage dwarfs the HD650's, micro dynamics are not masked and macro dynamics are explosive.

I think the differences with a comparison between balanced HD800 and SE HD650 would not significantly close the gap between the two from my experiences.

Sep 16, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #223 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The comfort is beyond any headphone I've had the privilege to listen to and the HD800 is the perfect balance of material and craftmanship with no compromise in sound...no creaks, vibrations, rumbles, distortion of discomfort to annoy and detract from the purest listening experience

I agree. The HD650 and HD540 are now uncomfortable in comparison.

I'm going to post some further thoughts and maybe some comparisons, perhaps this evening.

Sep 16, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #225 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Balanced HD800 vs Balanced HD650:
The HD800's are better balanced overall, the HD650 has a muddled and bloated bass in comparison, the HD800 goes deeper with a lot more style. Midrange is nice with the HD650's if not a little recessed and not as punchy, again the HD800's focus, tone, timbre and speed clearly out class the HD650. The HD650's rolled off treble is no comparison for the HD800's, treble extension with the HD800's is really good. HD800's soundstage dwarfs the HD650's, micro dynamics are not masked and macro dynamics are explosive.

I think the differences with a comparison between balanced HD800 and SE HD650 would not significantly close the gap between the two from my experiences.

I was comparing unbalanced 800 to balanced 650 (and the 650 was connected to what I assume a better amp than the 800). So the question that comes to my head is if the HD800 improves as much as the 650 from going balanced? I pretty much agree with all you said, except that I don't find the midrange in 650 recessed at all and in that aspect is in which it comes closest to HD800 (although still technical superiorness of the 800 is there).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back