Got the HD600s (formerly pulling the trigger thread)
Jul 4, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #181 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An argument will never end if two people dont know what each other is talking about.

Such delicious irony.

Jul 4, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #183 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always found irony to taste rather metallic.

The best irony tastes like steak. None of this green leafy vegetable rubbish......

Jul 4, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #184 of 204
cmon people lets get the thread back on the right track
biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #185 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cmon people lets get the thread back on the right track
biggrin.gif

You mean you don't want to change the title of this thread again? Maybe to something like " Got the HD600s (formerly pulling the trigger thread) turned debate on flavor of irony"?????

Jul 4, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #186 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackstoneJD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only time I wish I went with the HD650 is when I listen to jazz, especially saxophone and trumpet. The HD600 has a little too much attack on those types of tracks. The HD650 is a lot smoother in that department, with the right sources. The presentation is more like a high-end speaker.

Which just goes to show how different people/ears hear different things. I've heard most of the high-end speakers you've mentioned as well as Watt, Sonus Faber, Focal/JMLabs and Aerial Acoustics' top offerings and I think the 650 has too much bass and is overly imposing of it's own signature in comparison and that the 600 is closer to what I hear from them. The 650 does seem more refined to my ears so I still hope to hear it balanced one day in the hope that it fixes some of the issues I have with it. That of course is all to my ears, with the equipment I heard it with, etc.

Ant

Jul 8, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #188 of 204
just got my gilmore lite and i am doing some comparing with my audiolab integrated amps HP jack. hmm, the glite is a little more civilized than the audiolab and the audiolab seems to have a fakeness to its sound in a direct comparison but I feel the Audiolab got my toes tappin more. Not sure yet if its placebo because of my expectations. Powerwise though, they dont seem to have any problems at all driving my hd600s just like the audiolab. Now I feel that spending for a headphone amp at gilmore lite levels or under is not necessary when one has a good integrated amp

Jul 8, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #189 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by apostate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which just goes to show how different people/ears hear different things. I've heard most of the high-end speakers you've mentioned as well as Watt, Sonus Faber, Focal/JMLabs and Aerial Acoustics' top offerings and I think the 650 has too much bass and is overly imposing of it's own signature in comparison and that the 600 is closer to what I hear from them. The 650 does seem more refined to my ears so I still hope to hear it balanced one day in the hope that it fixes some of the issues I have with it. That of course is all to my ears, with the equipment I heard it with, etc.

Ant

The hd600 is even getting a little too polite with my new gilmore lite with DPS. They sound more slammin and bright off my integrated amp. Now I don't really know if I will enjoy the 650s either if they gravitate towards over politeness

Jul 8, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #191 of 204
it was a trade for my ad2k. Ive always wanted to try the glite w/ dps now Ive tried them. Anyway, did more listening and found out why i preferred the integrated amp. bass! bass! thats it. just more bass, less tight which i thought was the hd600s fault. After all the placebo fading away (expecting too much i guess). The glite is definitely cleaner sounding with less colorations. Listening to beloved chinese songs cd right now is so much better on the glite compared to the amp which is muddy in comparison. The separation is better on the glite but at first i thought it wasnt as good because instrument edges werent as sharp. Found out it was just the added brightness that makes it seem like that at first. I'm growing to like the glite now but will see if time will change things... if they will be sold again to get a darkvoice
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #193 of 204
dv332 in 2 more days... cant wait to see (hear) how the hd600s will transform when plugged into them. The anticipation is killing me......

Jul 12, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #194 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried to tell you to get tubes for the HD600.

Someone in some thread said Ray Samuels voices his amps specifically for the HD 600 ... at least I think I read that. My plan was to buy a balanced cable for my HD 600, and the RS Apache (and feed them with a fully balanced source, like a CDP with an SS DAC and balanced analog outputs, Wadia maybe). Biased toward SS. Heard this combo at Can Jam 08 and thought it was good, of course that is just a limited time test.

Good idea, bad idea?

Jul 12, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #195 of 204
go for it! tell us how it sounds when you get them.

Doing more critical listening to my hd600s after adding another 10 hours listening time and about 24 hours with a burn in track...

the bass seems to have loosed up a little to a point where the gilmore lite is getting a better synergy with the hd600s. Now I feel that all my hd600s need is more burn in to sound their best instead of tampering with the amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back