got the Etymotic HF5, is the MC5 superior ?
Sep 24, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #4 of 9
to my ears, the bass and mids were slightly better in the mc5.  treble not quite as good as the hf5s but still close.  soundstage was verrry slightly bigger in the hf5 but hardly noticable.  with the hf5 being almost 2x as much, i would go for the mc5 any day

Quote:
what was better?
stage, highs, mids, bass

please let me know
should i go for the mc5?

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #7 of 9
^ Not too surprising. More a function of dynamic vs. armature drivers than the price difference. What I would expect on both the graphs. The FR is right on with the earlier roll off with the MC5.

I would say that the MC5 has the slightly bigger stage overall but the separation is not as much so it might appear closer together. But I like the bigger top to bottom height of the MC5 over the other Ety's and also the DBA-02 which is a bit too narrow for my tastes.

I would say it is hard to take the HF over the MC. The MC5 is a much better value.

Sep 25, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #9 of 9
In the UK, I can get the HF5 for just over £70 and the HF2 for just under, both from Amazon (yes, the mic'd version is slightly cheaper!) The only place I can find the MC5 has them for £55. My original budget was about £120 anyway, so the extra £15 isn't really a problem. I know these are pretty far below that, but I've decided I want top isolation and these seem to be the best for it within my price range. Think the only other thing is the Shure SE310, but they don't get much love on here. Anyway, I'm rambling now...

Most people say that the MC5s are a little better at the low end and yet still very similar in the highs, and to pick the MC5 based on value. I'm a bit of a Grado fan, so I guess the extra low end won't be something I *need* (although, only one way to find out for sure, of course.) Since the difference in price appears to be smaller for us £GBP-ers, would those who have tried both still recommend the MC5s? And, also to HFx owners, is the build quality actually bad, or is it just not as good as the MCs? Posts from last year seem to be positive about the build of the HFs, more recent posts - especially those comparing to the MC - are less favourable. Don't know if this is as compared to MCs, or because over time their poorer quality has reared its ugly head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back