Got The Brainwavz S0 Today!! a.k.a. The S0 impressions thread.
Sep 30, 2014 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 379

jant71

Headphoneus Supremus
I got a message from Audrey saying Brainwavz had something new which she was nice enough to send me a pair of. The S0 which will be an SRP $50 phone in the S series. I have a sample that is still to change some in appearance so I can't take pics of it. We will see the finished version before long.

Seeing how there is already an S1 how will this differentiate itself? Well it is physically a smaller phone and designed more from a straight down wearing style that can be worn over the ear.

Basically, for now, I can talk about the sound. The S0 makes it's place being quite a departure from the S1 and while closer to the S5, still different than the S5. The S0 is tamest one. Take away the egde of the S5's treble and smooth it out, lower the thickness of the S1 bass slant. Give this S model a flatter sound balance and an even image not as up front as the S5 and also the height and width of the stage are in the same proportion unlike the S1 and, to a lesser extent, the S5 which are wider than tall to some degree IME.

I liked the S5 cause of the aggressive nature and up front quality. I just really don't like that long term as far as my personal signature preference. Fun for a while then nice to come back to again time after time. The S0 is that "everyday" earphone because it is clear and balanced and enjoyable without aggression or super warm thickness and weight. So the S0 does fit in quite nicely!!

Feel free to ask any questions. I am still burning them in and testing out more tips etc. They have made a very nice first impression though. A bit more detail when I'm sure they aren't going to change for whatever reason as i learn to live with them more fully :)

Sep 30, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 379
Sounds interesting. I think Brainwavz could only benefit from such iems. Yeah, boosted bass and treble can be fun but only for certain types of music and for certain people. I have been recommending the brainwavz deltas a lot as a lot of people have been asking me for cheap $20 iems and when these people upgrade they don't really jump to the high-end stuff - they move from 20 to 50 bucks or so, s0 a nicely done $50 iem has a marketing potential.

But S0, really? Is that final? Is it on purpose, s0 people can have fun with it. 
-Which iem do you like. I like this sony
-S0
-So what?

Sep 30, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 379
Yes, I did inquire about S-ZERO as maybe being better but it seems the packaging is done already :)

Also, kinda gives the impression that they are lower but are not to my ears. Seemingly closer to S5 than S1 esp. regards clarity and detail retrieval.

Sep 30, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 379
  Yes, I did inquire about S-ZERO as maybe being better but it seems the packaging is done already
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, kinda gives the impression that they are lower but are not to my ears. Technically closer to S5 than S1 esp. regards clarity and detail retrieval.

Well, don't know about S-Zero either. Maybe a new line but if the packaging is finalized I can live with it. I guess we could have some fun. 
Anyway, with the rise in quality in the circa $50 range it should be good coz it's a battle out there and this seems to be the price at which most people are looking for a great product, so it's a big market but with a very stiff competition

Oct 1, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #6 of 379
I have a pair here with me, but will need more time to grasp the sound. With the quick listen I had they were pretty good.

Oct 1, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #7 of 379
Yeah, keep the impressions coming :)

I know I like what I heard pretty much right away. The stock gray tips that I am not a big fan of sound pretty good on the S0. I could hear straight off that the bass was a bit less than the S1 and well controlled cause those tips tend to exaggerate mid-bass for me. They are pretty tight and quick with not much mid-bass bloat to be found.

I can easily see the stage is smaller than the S5 because the S0 are literally half the size. So, that much smaller a housing will not project as big a size as the bigger S5 chambers can. Still, the S0 sound airy and not congested and quick and freed up.

I agree that it is a battle out there and surprised that Brainwavz came quick with something. Very good to have different sounds in the ~$50 range esp. with Vsonic making different versions of phones and others making some tunable earphones. Though S0 and S1 should be more different from each other than something like a VSD and VSDS.

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #8 of 379
Well, hopefully I'll get a chance to hear this s0 soon coz no matter the small differrence between vsonic models, vsonic has been on a killing spree in the $30-50 range for the past couple of years

Oct 2, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #9 of 379
Had a chance to listen to these today further.

Running them with an iPod Touch 4G using 256 AAC files.

They sound much like a baby S5, similar timbre and tonality around the mid-range but slightly smoother with less aggression in the upper mids particular. The bass seems a little more in balance with the mids over S5's slightly (or to some a lot) emphasised low end. Of course, with the lower price they're not quite as high in clarity which makes the mids sound a little warmer overall. I can see someone choosing the S0 over an S5 particularly for their smoother presentation but also at the sacrifice of lower technical ability (ie separation / clarity / soundstage)

I hear very smooth treble, nothing peaky or spiky, possibly a little rolled off or laid back, comfortable. Probably be a good competitor for SoundMAGIC E10 and around that price range. My concerns are though with the likes of some fierce competitors priced just slightly above (ie Havi, KC06, VSD3S) if S0 can hold a rooted place in the lower tier.

Time will tell. 

Oct 3, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #10 of 379
Had a chance to listen to these today further.

Running them with an iPod Touch 4G using 256 AAC files.

They sound much like a baby S5, similar timbre and tonality around the mid-range but slightly smoother with less aggression in the upper mids particular. The bass seems a little more in balance with the mids over S5's slightly (or to some a lot) emphasised low end. Of course, with the lower price they're not quite as high in clarity which makes the mids sound a little warmer overall. I can see someone choosing the S0 over an S5 particularly for their smoother presentation but also at the sacrifice of lower technical ability (ie separation / clarity / soundstage)

I hear very smooth treble, nothing peaky or spiky, possibly a little rolled off or laid back, comfortable. Probably be a good competitor for SoundMAGIC E10 and around that price range. My concerns are though with the likes of some fierce competitors priced just slightly above (ie Havi, KC06, VSD3S) if S0 can hold a rooted place in the lower tier.

Time will tell. 

X2! Same as I thought. A smaller, smoother, less aggressive baby S5 is what I hear as well. People can also choose it for the smaller size/lighter weight. Shame I just sold my Tenore a few weeks back :)

Oct 12, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #12 of 379
Received mine as well yesterday. Excellent for the price! Agree with the OP sound impression! I think these will be a good competitor of TekFusion TwinWoofers. Haven't got time for a side by side comparison yet thought

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #13 of 379
Received mine as well yesterday. Excellent for the price! Agree with the OP sound impression! I think these will be a good competitor of TekFusion TwinWoofers. Haven't got time for a side by side comparison yet thought

Looks like I have another awesome review to expect from you then, Billson! 
Any word on pricing?

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #14 of 379
Looks like I have another awesome review to expect from you then, Billson! 
Any word on pricing?

Price will be $50 and thank you for the supportive words :D just posted the review on Rock Jaw Alfa Genus. So will be posting review for S0 this Friday or Sunday :)

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #15 of 379
Price will be $50 and thank you for the supportive words
biggrin.gif
just posted the review on Rock Jaw Alfa Genus. So will be posting review for S0 this Friday or Sunday
smily_headphones1.gif

Ooh, the Alfa Genus? Will you be comparing the S0 with them as well? IIRC the Alfa Genii (Genuses?) are about $50 as well.
Of course, I could very well be incorrect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back