GOT THE ATH-A1000
Dec 2, 2002 at 5:53 AM Post #121 of 137
Hi Lou,
Thanks again ....
biggrin.gif

Well , that site offering the W2002 for 1500 bucks has to pay for all that "exquisite" writing space that they used to describe these cans somehow!!!
eek.gif

Oh BTW, Lou, this will be a major jump for me and I'm 40 years old today
eek.gif
eek.gif
The best cans I've ever heard in my life were the hd600. I was in a hi-fi shop and they gave me the privilage to listen to 1/2 a song on a radio station that wasn't tuning in right - Then it was over and she took them back to there "lock down vault". So Good hi-fi cans --- I guess this is going to be a first for me- so ya , I'm kinda excited
biggrin.gif

Ya, I figured at my age I don't want to screw around too much or I'll end up missing the boat LOL. Definately looking forward to a level of sound I've never experienced before.
biggrin.gif

Rich
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2002 at 5:53 AM Post #122 of 137
Quote:

Originally posted by Uncledan
Does two cables design improve the sound? I am not sure, but there must be some reason to Audio-Technica make W2002 in this unique design.

If the ground cable for both headphones is shared by both headphone drivers, yes, it can affect the sound and make it sund bad!! This is because the sound from the left crosses into the right and vice versa. That's why most, not all, opted for the dual and separated design, each driver with its own ground to keep crossfeed to a minimum!!

Dec 2, 2002 at 6:05 AM Post #123 of 137
Quote:

Does two cables design improve the sound?

UncleDan, I suspect that the A1000 has one wire going from the left cup to the right cup (like my AD10's, and a LOT, if not most, headphones on the market, today). Yes, it does make a difference. Break the frame ground, and put two short wires from the inside of a corda cable and you should see a nice change in the overall sound quality. This is a change that I'll be making in the AD10's when I can find some carda type cable. The cable that's inside the band is usually of a much lesser, flimsy, quality. Therefore if the carda "inner" cable is stiff, it may present a problem as the cable that goes to the "other" earcup must always remain flexible and stretchable (so that the drivers can be serviced). Heck maybe I'll just hack off a 1' section and convert the AD10's to dual cable input. It would be REAL easy to just drill a hole on the bottom of the other cup. Or maybe I'll just get a replacement Grado cable and splice it in.
wink.gif

Dec 2, 2002 at 6:13 AM Post #124 of 137
Wallijonn, it maybe easy for some ppl DIY their headphone, but not for me. (should learn some DIY skill to become a REAL head-fi fellow
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
) It is easy to drill a hole on the bottom of the wood cup, but it will be very very hard for A1000 ppl, b/c A1000 make by titanium=unbreakable.

Dec 2, 2002 at 7:20 AM Post #125 of 137
Uncle Dan, it's not something which anyone, who has headphones that they love, should do. In the case of a new W1000, I wouldn't even think of it.

Only people who spend $200 for replacement cables usually go the extra mile and completely isolate the signal wires. Many of these guys run 4 wires right down to the jack. And a few of them go out and replace the 1/4" jack with a 4 prong conductor so that the signal is completely isolated all the way to the drivers.

People like you and I (normal folk) really shouldn't be messing with the innards of expensive headphones. In my case I had no choice as the sound out of the AD10's was attrocious. (It may have sounded good to some people here, though
rolleyes.gif
)

and yes, a lot of these guys aren't "normal".
biggrin.gif
YOU know who you are!
very_evil_smiley.gif

DarkWolf said: Quote:

Sweet. I REALLY want to know how these compare to the 590, my current top choice...

very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 2, 2002 at 7:29 AM Post #126 of 137
Yeah, I'm STILL laughing.

Reread my description. Antithesis. Look it up. You may want to also look up antithetical, antimere and antipodal
tongue.gif

Head-fi. Where you learn new words every day.
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2002 at 7:40 AM Post #127 of 137
If I have more cash on hand, then I will not sell my sweetest combo W2002+headmaster. Those review in this site make me to become headphone slave.......
redface.gif
redface.gif

Maybe it is time to find another part time job, pizza boy may be a good idea.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Dec 2, 2002 at 8:21 AM Post #128 of 137
Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
andrzejpw
HI: How are you? With all due respect I think it to be absurd to have to put a lot of money into a can that is 300 ohms and still some what laid back. I prefer to just buy a can and do nothing to it but burn it in and enjoy it as is with no additional modes, money, or source upgrade just to get the cans to sound great. The ATH-A1000 sounds great right out of the box. Just my opinion.

Lou,

Please don't think that either I nor andrzejpw are trying to pick fault with the AT1000s which are undoubtedly good... but what I believe we're both trying to say (or... at least in MY case) is that once you put a lot of money into the HD580s, that they are no longer laid back...

They make my V6 sound subdued, and on some music even bass shy and the highs, as clear as crystal but at the same time as smooth as silk... they make my CD1700s sound honky, and my Beyerdynamic DT250s sound thin...

Now, I apportion a lot of this to my CD Player... its brilliant compared to my Marantz, and adding into that the forward nature of the Cardas cable ~ Brilliant

I DO want to hear the ATs, and I have been told by a head-fier that he can get me AT phones at (singapore) cost price which will be a lot cheaper than you guys in the US can get from Audiocubes... BUT, if they are more forward, and more abrasive than the HD580s, then i'm not sure that I want them...

So, I'm NOT criticising, just after an accurate A/B between two 'phones and a hi-end setup

Thanks Lou ~ Thanks Everyone
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2002 at 3:52 PM Post #130 of 137
Quote:

Spad: I've rarely seen so much misinformation posted in so short a time.

Never let the absence of information get in the way of a good guess!
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

ServinginEcuador: Well, the W1000 cans come with leather pads on them!! THe replacement part listed on Audio Cubes' web site lists the A1000 pads as something different and lists the W2002 pads as replacements. It also lists only the W2002 pads as replacements for the W1000.

Can't blame you for drawing that conclusion, but A-T's website says synthetic Clarino is used on both the W1000 and the A1000. True, the part numbers for the replacement pads are different, but they are both priced at 2,500 yen versus 5,000 yen for the W2002 replacement pads.

Quote:

Uncledan: ...it maybe easy for some ppl DIY their headphone, but not for me. (should learn some DIY skill to become a REAL head-fi fellow ) It is easy to drill a hole on the bottom of the wood cup, but it will be very very hard for A1000 ppl, b/c A1000 make by titanium=unbreakable.

Titanium is not unbreakable, and it can be drilled. I'm not sure why you'd want to drill any holes in the earcups anyway. Have you had a look at your W2002's lately?

Dec 2, 2002 at 4:34 PM Post #132 of 137
j-curve, please read previous post, we are talking about dual cables input issue. And I was not try to drill hole on my W2002, I was talking about for drill hole for W1000 or A1000 if ppl want dual cables input.

Dec 2, 2002 at 7:51 PM Post #133 of 137
Quote:

Originally posted by j-curve
Can't blame you for drawing that conclusion, but A-T's website says synthetic Clarino is used on both the W1000 and the A1000.

Sorry about that, but it didn't show the cheaper stuff as an option. And, since I can't read Japanese, I will rely on and defer to your knowledge on this one!! Thanks for the head-up also as I will probably end up ordering a replacement set of ear cups in the near future anyway!!!!

Dec 4, 2002 at 5:08 AM Post #134 of 137
Quote:

Uncledan: And I was not try to drill hole on my W2002, I was talking about for drill hole for W1000 or A1000 if ppl want dual cables input.

I should have been more specific. I was suggesting that the hole, if you were crazy enough to drill it, would go not in the earcup but in the frame, as it appears to do on the W2002.

ServinginEcuador, babelfish doesn't do a great job on words it doesn't know. It should throw out "kurarino" for Clarino but isn't that smart. It gets the rest though (W1000):-
The artificial leather ????? which in the ear pad is superior in durability and is good to touch (the *2) adoption.
The whole replacement pad thing raises some questions though. If the A1000 and W1000 pads are identical then why are the serial numbers for the replacements different? Are they both interchangeable with each other, and/or with the lambskin W2002?

Dec 4, 2002 at 11:14 AM Post #135 of 137
I think LTUCCIwhatever has been assimilated by Audio-Technica reps and AudioCubes
smily_headphones1.gif

Tell you what Duncan. I can bring bith the A1000 and the A900 (perhaps I will need that wheelbarrow after all) to our meet, you can listen to the difference between the two and take the A900 with you to try it out on your systems. I can't lend you the A1000 as I'll be taking it with me travelling but hopefully a reasonable audition should give you an 'offset' for the A900 to apply to the 1000.

Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan

Lou,

Please don't think that either I nor andrzejpw are trying to pick fault with the AT1000s which are undoubtedly good... but what I believe we're both trying to say (or... at least in MY case) is that once you put a lot of money into the HD580s, that they are no longer laid back...

They make my V6 sound subdued, and on some music even bass shy and the highs, as clear as crystal but at the same time as smooth as silk... they make my CD1700s sound honky, and my Beyerdynamic DT250s sound thin...

Now, I apportion a lot of this to my CD Player... its brilliant compared to my Marantz, and adding into that the forward nature of the Cardas cable ~ Brilliant

I DO want to hear the ATs, and I have been told by a head-fier that he can get me AT phones at (singapore) cost price which will be a lot cheaper than you guys in the US can get from Audiocubes... BUT, if they are more forward, and more abrasive than the HD580s, then i'm not sure that I want them...

So, I'm NOT criticising, just after an accurate A/B between two 'phones and a hi-end setup

Thanks Lou ~ Thanks Everyone
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back