GOT THE ATH-A1000
Dec 2, 2002 at 12:08 AM Post #93 of 137
You'd probably dig any of the wood series. Very smooth and warm which I didn't like for some of my more harsh music IE: At the Drive-In.

Quote:

Originally posted by Suedama
I've been away way too long. Really miss the lively discussions of new love affairs. I can almost see some of you guys caressing your new headphones like they were a pair of ... But I digress.

Anyway, what would the gurus recommend for a set of closed cans? These threads on the A1000 really temp me, but there seems to be little comment about comparisons with other closed cans that are in the running, i.e., W1000, DT770, CD-3000.

I listen mostly to jazz. TIA.

Dec 2, 2002 at 12:45 AM Post #94 of 137
Quote:

Originally posted by Suedama
These threads on the A1000 really temp me, but there seems to be little comment about comparisons with other closed cans that are in the running, i.e., W1000, DT770, CD-3000.

I listen mostly to jazz. TIA.

I'm also a jazz fan and while I can't comment on the 1000-series ATs (not having heard them), I can say that the W2002 and CD3000 are fairly equal in my estimation. If I had to choose between them--something I do on a daily basis, come to think of it--I'd likely take the CD3000.

Both are superb in my view and leagues ahead of the HD600.

Spad

Dec 2, 2002 at 1:02 AM Post #95 of 137
Quote:

Originally posted by Spad
I'm also a jazz fan and while I can't comment on the 1000-series ATs (not having heard them), I can say that the W2002 and CD3000 are fairly equal in my estimation. If I had to choose between them--something I do on a daily basis, come to think of it--I'd likely take the CD3000.

Spad

That reaffirms my decision to keep my CD3Ks over the ATs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2002 at 1:33 AM Post #97 of 137
Quote:

Spad

After listening to Hirsch's W2002 and Sony CD3Ks, I think that the mids on the ATs are a bit better and fuller, but both my dad and I preferred the overall sound of the Sony. The treble extension was out of this world, but was never harsh or bright. It just kept going where the ATs left off. It's sound was a bit more forward, but not overly aggressive. I am now debating whether or not to make the switch over to the Sony's over the ATs coming in the mail. For those who said that these cans weren't very good, give them another try under different conditions and I think you'll change your mind about them!!! Teamed up with the right amp, this probably being the key, they perform quite well indeed!!!!!

To clarify one thing, I listened to both sets of cans on a Melos preamp run by a Sony NS500V DVDP using Outlaw PCA ICs. I rapidly switched between these two cans to compare them. While the ATs sounded great and made a trumpet sound very much like a real trumpet, the Sony's portrayal was even more lifelike. The bass on both was quite good, but I still give an edge to the Sony here too. Wish I had more time to directly compare these two wonderful cans, but they were the last things I listened to after 2 hours of playing with Hirsch's various headphone toys he had laying around and my dad was wanting to leave.

Dec 2, 2002 at 1:58 AM Post #98 of 137
Quote:

Originally posted by ablaze
That reaffirms my decision to keep my CD3Ks over the ATs.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think comparing the CD3000 to the A/W1000 is a bit unfair given that the Sony is twice the AT's list price. OTOH, the W2002 and CD3000, at approximately the same list price, is a better comparison.

Actually, I suppose the fact that everyone is paying full pop ($300-plus) for the 1000-series ATs while the CD3000, which lists for $675, can be had new for close to the same amount ($335 in my case) makes the comparison a trifle more even-handed.

In any case, this thread is about LTUCCI's A1000s and some of us are in danger of crapping all over it. I'd just like to add that if the A/W1000's performance is even close to that of the W2002, most of the purchasers should be delighted.

Spad

Dec 2, 2002 at 2:29 AM Post #99 of 137
Spad, CD3000 is on sale at audiocubes for $389US. I hope more ppl can review W1000/A1000, even A/Bing W1000/W2002. Since the result will be interesting. Based on my experience, W2002 sound much better HD600, especially on woman vocal.

Dec 2, 2002 at 2:39 AM Post #100 of 137
Quote:

I think comparing the CD3000 to the A/W1000 is a bit unfair given that the Sony is twice the AT's list price. OTOH, the W2002 and CD3000, at approximately the same list price, is a better comparison.

Actually, I suppose the fact that everyone is paying full pop ($300-plus) for the 1000-series ATs while the CD3000, which lists for $675, can be had new for close to the same amount ($335 in my case) makes the comparison a trifle more even-handed.

In any case, this thread is about LTUCCI's A1000s and some of us are in danger of crapping all over it. I'd just like to add that if the A/W1000's performance is even close to that of the W2002, most of the purchasers should be delighted.

Spad

Actually, an overinflated list price is meaningless when compared to actual street selling price. Sony can tack on whatever meaningless and overinflated list price that they want.

It would be unfair to compare the CD3K to the W2002 as the difference in price is tipped way in the favor of the ATs!! A street price for the ATs is almost $800 compared to $389 for the Sony's. That shouldn't be fair to do as the price difference puts them in classes SO far apart the difference would have to be expressed in AUs not miles!! Comparing the CD3K to the W1000 would be a nearly fair comparison, but a moot point as NO ONE has heard one yet!! Until we have someone who receives theirs and posts a thread here to tell about it, this is all idle speculation, nothing to get worked up about!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

This is just my speculation, but I think that the W1000 will outdo the W2002 in at least one category - high end. This seems to be one Achille's heel of this otherwise wonderful set of cans. I am hoping that the sound is just a tad bit more forward, to suit MY tastes, and with higher extension on the high end.

My .02 worth!!!

Dec 2, 2002 at 2:56 AM Post #102 of 137
A lot of the price for the W2002s was in the special wood and tons of laborh andworking that wood and lacquer coating it to make it look so good, along with the expensive case it came with. Without all that wood, woodwork, or case you've only got a W100's worth of actual product. (No flames from those W2002 owners please!!
biggrin.gif
)

That's why I think it's not good to even compare these two cans!! It almost seems like the W2002 was designed as a collectors piece with it's attractive looks and case, while the W1000 has much less put into looks and more into making it sound better!! I believe that the new W1000 will sound nearly identcal in most areas, and better in others. But again that's just IMHO and my .02 worth of guess work!!!!!!

Dec 2, 2002 at 3:39 AM Post #105 of 137
wallijonn, is this what you mean? The avatar, that is. If it is, then just right-click and save it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back