GOT THE ATH-A1000
Dec 1, 2002 at 12:11 PM Post #76 of 137
I've been away way too long. Really miss the lively discussions of new love affairs. I can almost see some of you guys caressing your new headphones like they were a pair of ... But I digress.

Anyway, what would the gurus recommend for a set of closed cans? These threads on the A1000 really temp me, but there seems to be little comment about comparisons with other closed cans that are in the running, i.e., W1000, DT770, CD-3000.

I listen mostly to jazz. TIA.

Dec 1, 2002 at 5:03 PM Post #78 of 137
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
Just reading this, on the first page... has put me off of the idea of getting the ATs... one thing I HATE about Grados... is their treble

Sorry folks

Duncan,

WalliJohn does NOT own a pair of these cans, he was being facetious in his post!!!!

Dec 1, 2002 at 5:48 PM Post #79 of 137
Well anyway, I still want to have a head to head compairison between the A1000 and the 590 with Equinox.. I listen to a lot of music, but electronic comes in pretty high. However, if a set can't do instruments and vocals well, along with providing energy in everything, they aren't right for me. It sounds like either set can do this.. I had wanted open cans, but what ever. How much sound do the A1000 isolate? My wallet is at critical mass and I really don't want it going nuclear in my pocket... I gotta make some choices!
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 1, 2002 at 5:56 PM Post #80 of 137
SE, i'm glad someone saw the humour i was having at DarkWolf's expense
wink.gif
it was supposed to be an antithesis of his beloved senns. sorry, DarkWolf
very_evil_smiley.gif

Duncan, I've proven that the grado high's can be tamed by a mod.

Suedama, just wait until the Beyer DT880's come out. they are going to make the a1000's it's bitch.
very_evil_smiley.gif
"FLAME ON!" (Johnny, from the Fantastic Four. Anyone have his avatar? I want it.)

Lou said, Quote:

So far I have not heard a bad sounding AT can.

You should have heard my ATH AD10's before I modded them
wink.gif

Dec 1, 2002 at 6:40 PM Post #81 of 137
Quote:

Thanks Lou.. no, I gota get some stuff for some people. They all know I have a job now. Besides, I was hopping to get my grandma a turbo timmer for christmas, for her WRX...

Little bit off topic, but YOUR GRANDMOTHER HAS A WRX? (Sorry for yelling) That may just be the most amazing thing I've heard. Don't tell me she likes driving sideways too. . .

Anyway, can anyone else comment on the AT highs? If they are ANYTHING like grado's, then I say pass. Can anyone compare them with HD580s?

Dec 1, 2002 at 7:45 PM Post #82 of 137
Hi again everyone,
Well - its heading towards the 24 hour mark - Just kinda curious if any disconcerting flaws are starting to become apparent -- I still can cancel my order and do something different all the way until tomorrow --
Thanks again Lou - Hey if you say let it ride then I'll stop thinking about it - ( it's just that this is my birthday present and I won't be able to do this again for a while- so I'll be "stuck" with whatever I get) ---
Mostly asking because you haven't said anything about them in you last group of posts - like a small line saying "wow" or anything for that matter ?????
confused.gif

Thanks again
Rich
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2002 at 8:59 PM Post #83 of 137
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Can anyone compare them with HD580s?

I'll add in 'Well-Driven', no standard grade CDPs or amps need apply... this is a real shoot out, if possible
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2002 at 9:06 PM Post #84 of 137
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
I'll add in 'Well-Driven', no standard grade CDPs or amps need apply... this is a real shoot out, if possible
biggrin.gif

of course. For all intents are purposes, the 580s NEED good amplification and source material. But I'd welcome any comparison, since I don't think all that many have both cans.

Dec 1, 2002 at 10:31 PM Post #85 of 137
wallijonn:

Bayerdynamic DT 880s? What do you know about these? When do they arrive? What is anticipated price, etc.?

My favorite headphones now are the DT 931s, so I would be favorably disposed to another Bayerdynamic product.

Dec 1, 2002 at 11:10 PM Post #87 of 137
wallijonn

Thanks for the information. (I was cruising through all of the search engines looking for info on this, but I was misspelling "Beyerdynamic" as "Bayerdynamic." Man, now I've got a headache. Gimme some Beyer aspirins. Or it it Bayer aspirins? Oh, screw it, gimme the Motrin.)

The ? icon is at the top of the "Post Reply" section, just underneath the "Post Subject" line.

Is Jan Meier carrying the 880s?

Dec 1, 2002 at 11:26 PM Post #89 of 137
Quote:

But I am done telling folks about the A1000 and think that it is time to let other members who get them tell you about them.

Are you really not going to tell us what they sound like once they are broken in fully?
frown.gif
I really want to know!
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, did you get a response to your inquiry about the nature of the "improved" DADS system of the A1000?

Dec 1, 2002 at 11:29 PM Post #90 of 137
Lou: although you sold the 580s because you thought the at100is were superior, Duncan and I are really looking for someone who has a decent source to compare them. Unfortunatly, your reciever/minidisc player probably didn't do the 580s justice. Duncan and I were in the same position. We had a love/hate relationship with the 580s. Finally, after pouring enough money into the relationship, something amazing happened. The 580s really began to sing!
eek.gif

So, anyone have these and a decent source?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back