Got my Westone 2 today! Better than my old W4. (UPDATE)
Feb 8, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #31 of 52

Quote:
I'm not sensitive to highs so I didn't find it to be aggressive at all, however, they were a tad bit dark sounding. 

Don't just assuming I'm sensitive to highs...  Honestly, I'm not.  That's why I said slightly aggressive.  EG, it has a slight aggression to them... 

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #33 of 52
Quote:
mmm I am regretting getting W1s because I know I should of just gotten W2s or W3s but going from buying 30$ buds to 250$+ was just too big of a step. Still the fit on all the Westones are so good and I cannot agree more.

Well, at least you got a taste of the fit, cable, and accessories. The W2 is the same size, but the W3 and W4 are a bit bigger.

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #34 of 52
There is of course, the issue of personal preferences as well.

Quote:
Hmm, maybe they don't sell fakes? I guess "not authorized" can mean anything from, "used and damaged" to "refurbished".

There was something up with my old W4 though. Because I wouldn't expect the W2 to outclass it fair and square.

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #35 of 52
The Westone series have shorter sound tubes and it seems many people find it hard to get a good seal with them. Not being able to get a good seal means decrease in lower frequencies, maybe that's the reason you find the Westone 4 thin and overly bright sounding. You could try out different tips and see if it makes it better.
Quote:
Well, at least you got a taste of the fit, cable, and accessories. The W2 is the same size, but the W3 and W4 are a bit bigger.

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #36 of 52
Quote:

Yes I like the cable and overall fit so much I might just keep moving up the Westone lines, sort of gotten into supraaurals, but a good IEM is always needed.

Has anyone heard the Westone 1s and can they comment how the sound of them compare to the rest of the IEMs Westone have and are they really worth it, more how do the mids and bass compare to the rest of the Westone line and another line that is dynamic like the Shure SE line? Contemplating either investing in IEMs or Portables soon.. (Beyerdynamic DT1350s)

Quote:
The Westone series have shorter sound tubes and it seems many people find it hard to get a good seal with them. Not being able to get a good seal means decrease in lower frequencies, maybe that's the reason you find the Westone 4 thin and overly bright sounding. You could try out different tips and see if it makes it better.

I feel the Comply tips allow a much better fit, even though they take away from the sound a bit the comfort provided is well justified.

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #37 of 52
Quote:
Has anyone heard the Westone 1s and can they comment how the sound of them compare to the rest of the IEMs Westone have and are they really worth it, more how do the mids and bass compare to the rest of the Westone line and another line that is dynamic like the Shure SE line? Contemplating either investing in IEMs or Portables soon.. (Beyerdynamic DT1350s)

Take a look at |joker|'s IEM review. That should be mighty helpful.

Quote:

I'm pretty OCD about getting a perfect seal. The stock grey tips are actually some of my favorites in the IEM world.

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #38 of 52
I forgot he had an IEM thread, and it looks if I do get one I would go for the W3, the bass is what I feel lack to most so for 300$ is not too bad. Shipped from earphone solutions, especially if I sell my W1s any takers lol? Ill still have enough left over to get some DT1350s 
smily_headphones1.gif
 I hate how much I am willing to spend on headphones....

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #40 of 52
I would give the W4's a bit more time.  I only recently got a pair as well, and didn't have very positive impressions at first.  I've found that they're one of the most tip dependent headphones I've used so far, and that they do benefit a fair amount from being amped.  I tried all 5 or 6 types of eartips that came with the W4's and didn't really like any of them.  I'm currently using them with Shure olive foam tips and a fiio e11, and the sound is definitely better than anything I've used before, including TF10's, Brainwavz B2's, and HF5's.  Although these are all somewhat lower tier headphones, I can definitely see now how the W4's justify the price difference.

Feb 9, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #41 of 52
Quote:
I would give the W4's a bit more time.  I only recently got a pair as well, and didn't have very positive impressions at first.  I've found that they're one of the most tip dependent headphones I've used so far, and that they do benefit a fair amount from being amped.  I tried all 5 or 6 types of eartips that came with the W4's and didn't really like any of them.  I'm currently using them with Shure olive foam tips and a fiio e11, and the sound is definitely better than anything I've used before, including TF10's, Brainwavz B2's, and HF5's.  Although these are all somewhat lower tier headphones, I can definitely see now how the W4's justify the price difference.

I definitely will. No way they are leaving quite yet.

I'm generally extremely picky when it comes to fit and seal, so switching tips may pose a problem. I really like the stock grey ones, but probably should try some other tips as well. The nozzles are pretty dang small, so I may have trouble finding fitting tips in my tip collection. Not only that, once found, they'll have to fit in my ear as well. And when I say I'm picky, let's just say none of the 20-odd tips with the GR07 fit me well enough (more or less because the actual earpiece design), yet the grey Westone tips fit perfectly. Only other universal tip that fits amazingly well are the hybrids.

I'll have to try them out of my P650 as well. Yeah, it probably won't cut it, but it did for all my other full sized. Plus, not a fan of carrying MP3 + amp around, for only marginally small improvements.

EDIT: More impressions added to OP.

Feb 10, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #43 of 52
I'm fine with neutral headphones but it just doesn't work with IEM's.  They sound so lifeless and boring for what you are paying.  W2 are pretty neutral.  W3 shares the same sound sig but adds an underlying, very rich fullness of sound which is undeniably better.  This might stray the W3 a bit more away from neutral and accurate but it certainly sounds better and more like headphones and more natural.

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #44 of 52
Quote:
I'm fine with neutral headphones but it just doesn't work with IEM's.  They sound so lifeless and boring for what you are paying.  W2 are pretty neutral.  W3 shares the same sound sig but adds an underlying, very rich fullness of sound which is undeniably better.  This might stray the W3 a bit more away from neutral and accurate but it certainly sounds better and more like headphones and more natural.

Only problem about the W3, is I've read it has the most treble out of the series. W4 is already borderline too much, so W3 seems an unlikely candidate. But I don't know, never heard it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back