Got my Westone 2 today! Better than my old W4. (UPDATE)
Feb 7, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #16 of 52

My Westone 4 don't have a treble spike or harsh aggressive highs and they are certainly not fatiguing at all, in fact the highs are very detailed but yet smooth as silk. I really hate phones with spiky highs, like my HD800 or the ATH-CK1000 Pro and SE 535 special edition that I've heard, they are painful to listen to IMO.

My UM3x have got a very loose connection too, in fact I nearly lost the left driver a few times. I bent the metal connector pins outward recently and it doesn't come off so easily now. My previous 2 pairs had no such problem, only this third pair has.

Quote:
Concerning the W4s, I can see how people can see the highs as being harsher/aggressive (they had a slight aggression to them when I reviewed them, I currently don't have them on me though since I sent them back to Westone as they wanted to see the connector, I had a 4R with a loose connector). 

Quote:
I also had a loose connection with a previous pair of W4Rs which i returned to the dealer and got another pair. Im curious as to how Westone is covering this problem seeing how it may be a common one. Let me know what they do for ya! 

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #18 of 52
No, my first 2 pairs didn't have the loose connector problem, they both had a dead driver each after a couple of months of use. This third pair don't have the dead driver problem so I'm quite reluctant to get them changed just because of the loose connector. The distributer was quite good with giving me the new UM3Xs with the dead drivers problem, no question asked at all.

Quote:
Was Westone quick to send you another pair because of the loose connection or did they try and blame it on "misuse" 

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #19 of 52
I'm a bit indifferent about removable cables on IEMs. They seem to have worse durability than hard wired counterparts.

Still really tempted to get another W4, but my mind keeps wandering to the possibilities of full sized headphones for that price!
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #20 of 52
It depends if you're lucky or not. Like my UM2, I used them everywhere and I treated them rough, commuting, working out at the gym etc, and they were fine right up to a few months after the 2 year warranty expired; the cable broke. Luckily I managed to find someone who was able to repair them for me, otherwise, they'd be next to useless. Whereas with my UM3x, if the cable broke in a few years time, I could just buy a new cable and it'd be as good as new.

As for full-size headphones, I don't think I've heard anything better than my Westone 4 apart from my LCD-2. 

Quote:
I'm a bit indifferent about removable cables on IEMs. They seem to have worse durability than hard wired counterparts.

Still really tempted to get another W4, but my mind keeps wandering to the possibilities of full sized headphones for that price!
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #21 of 52
Quote:
As for full-size headphones, I don't think I've heard anything better than my Westone 4 apart from my LCD-2.

Hmm, considering that fact, I may grab the W4 one of these days. I was under the impressions even the best of IEMs couldn't technically surpass even mid level full sized (DT880, K701, HD600 etc.). I'm more of a portable user anyway, and am not a fan of buying a full blown amp to listen to music. So I guess IEM route would be the way to go.

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #22 of 52
I'm sure a lot of members here would tell you their customs sound much better than any full size phones they've heard.

Maybe you should try listening to some Westone 4s in retail shops just to make sure your pair actually have problems, otherwise you might end up with 2 expensive pairs of IEMs that you don't like.

Quote:
Hmm, considering that fact, I may grab the W4 one of these days. I was under the impressions even the best of IEMs couldn't technically surpass even mid level full sized (DT880, K701, HD600 etc.). I'm more of a portable user anyway, and am not a fan of buying a full blown amp to listen to music. So I guess IEM route would be the way to go.

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #23 of 52
Quote:
I'm sure a lot of members here would tell you their customs sound much better than any full size phones they've heard.

Maybe you should try listening to some Westone 4s in retail shops just to make sure your pair actually have problems, otherwise you might end up with 2 expensive pairs of IEMs that you don't like.

Heh, I wish there were headphone shops around here...

I could always return them if I didn't like them, but I don't know if that will be the case. I think the only thing I'll be struggling with is the fact they are marginally more expensive than other IEMs that play the same music, if you know what I mean. I've got major OCD with keeping expensive headphones, because I always feel guilty for spending as much as I did. I've let go of too many I loved dearly, full sized and IEMs due to this. But, if they are any better than this fantastic W2 I'm listening to now, I may just have to accept the price, buy, and enjoy.

EDIT: A few things could be improved with the W2. Instrument seperation and more treble presence = perfection.

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #25 of 52
I blame the song. Just ordered "authorized" W4s. Whoa man...

I may do a W2 vs W4 comparison. In fact, I think I will in the future.

Kinda forgot I have GR07's on the way as well, and I can't cancel. Doh!

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #26 of 52
You don't have headphones shops near where you live???

Like I said before, I've never heard the Westone 2, but I have the UM2, which have the same drivers as the W2; comparing that to my UM3x or Westone 4, the UM2 don't have much HF details at all. I don't know, maybe you prefer phones with sound signatures that have more mid, bass and less HF.

Think I have the same problem as you, that's probably the reason why I still have the HD800, SA5000 and the UE18Pro. 
frown.gif

Quote:
Heh, I wish there were headphone shops around here...

I could always return them if I didn't like them, but I don't know if that will be the case. I think the only thing I'll be struggling with is the fact they are marginally more expensive than other IEMs that play the same music, if you know what I mean. I've got major OCD with keeping expensive headphones, because I always feel guilty for spending as much as I did. I've let go of too many I loved dearly, full sized and IEMs due to this. But, if they are any better than this fantastic W2 I'm listening to now, I may just have to accept the price, buy, and enjoy.

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #27 of 52
Quote:
You don't have headphones shops near where you live???

Like I said before, I've never heard the Westone 2, but I have the UM2, which have the same drivers as the W2; comparing that to my UM3x or Westone 4, the UM2 don't have much HF details at all. I don't know, maybe you prefer phones with sound signatures that have more mid, bass and less HF.

Think I have the same problem as you, that's probably the reason why I still have the HD800, SA5000 and the UE18Pro. 
frown.gif

Nope. Closest thing is Target, Office Max, or RC Willey! Ranging from Monster Dr.Dre to Bose Triports, more like just those two.

I actually really like detailed and analytical IEMs, that have a good balance. These W2's don't quite have enough treble for me, but are still great all arounders nonetheless.

So, do you not want those anymore or something? I was saying even if I loved something (HE-500 for instance), I would feel guilty keeping it, thus I'd sell or send it back. I ALWAYS think "what else could I have bought with that money", and I think that's the question I always give into. Even though, audio related stuff/music is my most important and favorite hobby. I think I'm just a bit messed up in the head, lol. Maybe something I'll learn to get over.

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #28 of 52
Hmm, my Westone 4Rs sounded sort of muddy out of the box, but I burned them in for a while and it started to sound really clear and the highs have smoothed out. I don't know, might be me. Had them for 1 week so far and connection is still very tight. Maybe it's because of first batch problems with all these loose connection problems arising? 

Feb 8, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #29 of 52
The loose connector didn't affect sound. It only wiggled a bit. The highs did settle down during burn in, the just didn't settle down enough. It still seemed that after 2 weeks (100+ hours of burn in) that the highs were slightly too aggressive in some songs.

Feb 8, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #30 of 52

Quote:
The loose connector didn't affect sound. It only wiggled a bit. The highs did settle down during burn in, the just didn't settle down enough. It still seemed that after 2 weeks (100+ hours of burn in) that the highs were slightly too aggressive in some songs.

I'm not sensitive to highs so I didn't find it to be aggressive at all, however, they were a tad bit dark sounding. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back