Got my Westone 2 today! Better than my old W4. (UPDATE)
Feb 11, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #46 of 52

Quote:
Only problem about the W3, is I've read it has the most treble out of the series. W4 is already borderline too much, so W3 seems an unlikely candidate. But I don't know, never heard it.

I found W4 midrange far to forward, perhaps more than a Shure and also found it unlistenable /fatiguing at louder volumes. Definitely was not for me.  W3 is nothing like that.  W3 has the smoothest, most detailed treble I have ever head in a universal.  It has an uncanny way of producing and an extremely high level of detail while still retaining an underlying warmth making it very easy on the ears.

Not sure why but a few have had fit issues with the short nozzle of W3 creating some siblance but most find it a very easy fit.

I almost forgot how many years of R&D went into making the W3.  It was truly groundbreaking.  Found this review reminding me of why I like this IEM so much.  Scroll down just a tad to Flavios' excellent review.  I agree 100%.

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/westone-3-reviews.html

(sorry to 'jack the thread, just wanted to clarify about W3)   Carry on...

Feb 11, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #47 of 52
The only problem I had with my westone 4s was the bass quantity. The quality is brilliant an layered, but the "big" sound isn't there. From the reviews, I understood that there never was going to be a lot, but this was actually lesser than my expectations even after.
I loved the tf10 sound, but had to sell them because of the fit, which was just too painful after 15 minutes or so.

After reading this, I suddenly want to give the 3s a shot.

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #48 of 52

Quote:
The only problem I had with my westone 4s was the bass quantity. The quality is brilliant an layered, but the "big" sound isn't there. From the reviews, I understood that there never was going to be a lot, but this was actually lesser than my expectations even after.
I loved the tf10 sound, but had to sell them because of the fit, which was just too painful after 15 minutes or so.

W3s really do have a lot of bass, I find them to be too much (But don't get me wrong, I can find any bass to be too much, even the Westone 4s). So they should be good if you like bass and treble quantity. 

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #50 of 52
Quote:
I found W4 midrange far to forward, perhaps more than a Shure and also found it unlistenable /fatiguing at louder volumes. Definitely was not for me.  W3 is nothing like that.  W3 has the smoothest, most detailed treble I have ever head in a universal.  It has an uncanny way of producing and an extremely high level of detail while still retaining an underlying warmth making it very easy on the ears.

Not sure if you've heard the W2, but the W2's midrange is even more forward than the W4. I didn't find the W4's midrange too impressive. W3 does sound interesting though.

Quote:

I don't mind the bass, it's the thin sound I don't like -- topped of with a zing to the treble. Those earpieces are definitely gigantic though, at nearly double the thickness of the W2!

Quote:
W3s really do have a lot of bass, I find them to be too much (But don't get me wrong, I can find any bass to be too much, even the Westone 4s). So they should be good if you like bass and treble quantity. 

W3's kinda sound like a DT990 to me.

Quote:
I'm curious, does the treble bother you more on the W4 as compared to the GR07? I found the GR07s much brighter compared to either of the Westones.

Unfortunately, I never directly compared the GR07 to the W4 (due to the W2 taking over), but I did listen to all three kinda randomly in the same sitting. From what I listened to, the GR07 has a treble spike but it doesn't really bother me all that much. While the W4 just seems like there is a zing to the entire treble region, with one specific location sticking out frequently. I had a major hit and miss listening session with the GR07 and wasn't totally liking the sound, so they are already gone. Back when I had my first pair, I don't recall being bothered by the treble. W4 just has weird treble, because it makes everything sound thin and lifeless, not to mention slightly unnatural.

Feb 12, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #51 of 52
I thought that the UM Miracles are something similar to the W4 in terms of bass quantity on regular tracks: when there's not much low end action going around, they kind of keep it calm and preppy. However, when you do need the bass (for instance drum n bass/ soundtracks), they can bring about that thunder with ease. W4 fails to deliver at the second level, at least for me. Actually, when I first purchased the Westones, I was amazed at how docile they sounded: the treble was just okay (I swear by the Hifiman re-272's treble), the midrange was nothing to write home about and the bass was just disappointing....the phones lacked the overall "energy" that other high ends have...for instance the MTPC. It was only after longer listening sessions that I say the "layers" in the bass and the uniqueness of the earphones. By this time, though, I was straining to hear the qualities of the earphones and it got a little fatiguing.
W4 is a good earphone, but not one that you can casually pop in and enjoy. It's something that likens to an acquired taste.

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #52 of 52
W2 is not much like W4.  As much as I did not like W4, W4 is much better. More refined, better instrument separation, soundstage, etc.

W3 bass with added EQ would not be good (too much) but with EQ off or flat and even a slight treble bump upwards, The W3 held it's very own against JH16.  Trust me! (as does JH5)

Yes, there is a mid-bass hump on W3 but the soundsatge is so HUGE that the bass does not intrude on the midrange or treble.

I have heard many more than I have owned but in the last 11 years, in my humble, the greatest 4 IEM's I have owned (for the Money) are Shure E4, TF10, Westone 4 and JH5.

JH13 and JH16 were outstanding and better but not worth $1,200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back