Got my Ray Samuels B-52!!!
Aug 13, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #106 of 227
Aug 14, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #107 of 227
Now that I've had some more time to listen to it, I've got to throw this out... this thing is LOUD. I listened to it yesterday at about 20-25% volume, and my ears were ringing after just one album. It's the audio equivalent of a Lamborghini--if you push it as hard as you can, you'll likely be damaging something.

I can't wait to get my P500 power regenerator back... right now there's so much fuzz coming from my el cheapo surge protector. This thing sounds like a dream now; it's probably going to be orgasmic with a clean power supply.

Aug 14, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #108 of 227
BEAUTIFUL amp!!! I agree that the volume is quite loud. It is difficult, sometimes, to find a good volume level via the stepped attenuator. Ray clued me into some NOS tubes for the headphone section that had slightly less gain and better sonics all around. These were much better, especially with balanced HD650's as I was able to find a volume level that was not too overwhelming for my ears. The high volume level was also one of the reasons that I got Ray's XR-10B phono preamplifier as it is balanced, and more importantly has easily adjustable gain settings that I could match to the B-52.

HAPPY LISTENING!!!

Aug 14, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #109 of 227
How about your whole rig in its awesome glory??
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #111 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BEAUTIFUL amp!!! I agree that the volume is quite loud. It is difficult, sometimes, to find a good volume level via the stepped attenuator. Ray clued me into some NOS tubes for the headphone section that had slightly less gain and better sonics all around. These were much better, especially with balanced HD650's as I was able to find a volume level that was not too overwhelming for my ears. The high volume level was also one of the reasons that I got Ray's XR-10B phono preamplifier as it is balanced, and more importantly has easily adjustable gain settings that I could match to the B-52.

HAPPY LISTENING!!!

Yeah, I'm looking at the XR-10B myself. I'm in the position where, having the coolest amp and the coolest CD player (IMO, of course), I want a nice vinyl setup. So, I'm thinking about getting the XR-10B instead of Ray's other one since it hasn't been delivered yet.

Aug 14, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #112 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about your whole rig in its awesome glory??
biggrin.gif

I'm kind of self-conscious about the fancy shelves from the neighborhood Target store. Until those get upgraded, I'm not showing off my system
frown.gif

I want it to look 100% before I show it off... you wouldn't take a
Ferrari to the car show with a cheap set of Goodyears on it, would ya?
icon10.gif

Aug 14, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #113 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I'm looking at the XR-10B myself. I'm in the position where, having the coolest amp and the coolest CD player (IMO, of course), I want a nice vinyl setup. So, I'm thinking about getting the XR-10B instead of Ray's other one since it hasn't been delivered yet.

If you get the XR-10B, YOU WILL LOVE IT!!! My previous phono preamp was the Audio Research PH7, one that Absolute Sound just reviewed and considered terrific. I like the XR-10B a LOT more. Sounds wonderful and is infinitely easier to adjust and far more flexible. I can now also listen to a completely balanced LP front-end.

Aug 14, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #114 of 227
I thought, from what I can see, that they pretty good. If they do the job and look good who cares.

Aug 14, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #115 of 227
Definitely one of the neatest audiophile pics I've seen. Your family's a hip crowd!

Quote:

Ok, let me try this again... this is my daughter giving her opinion of the new amp.

Shot with HP PhotoSmart 318 at 2007-08-13

Aug 14, 2007 at 8:05 AM Post #116 of 227
Quote:

Now that I've had some more time to listen to it, I've got to throw this out... this thing is LOUD. I listened to it yesterday at about 20-25% volume, and my ears were ringing after just one album. It's the audio equivalent of a Lamborghini--if you push it as hard as you can, you'll likely be damaging something.

Which headphone you use ?

I believe the one you daughter use have high independance, guess with a Grado
basshead.gif

B-52 don't have high-low gain switch ?

Aug 14, 2007 at 12:11 PM Post #118 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
B-52's gain is controlled by tubes, I think.

Maybe but after a gain switch can be added if at 25 % of volume it's too loud, guess with a RS-1 or a IEM
eek.gif

Aug 14, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #119 of 227
What kind is the tube use in the B-52? Can you guys do tuberolling with the B52? Nice looking amp by the way...
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #120 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely one of the neatest audiophile pics I've seen. Your family's a hip crowd!

Thanks! She keeps asking "Why can't I get a nice stereo?" Um, because you're seven years old
rolleyes.gif
. That Spongebob TV/DVD Player is top of the line until she hits college.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back