Got my new amp!
Jun 25, 2010 at 11:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

arjunvenkawhat

New Head-Fier
So I finally got my MP-301 in the mail yesterday.  I told my mom to call me when the package came in, as I was very unsure of when it would be delivered.  Canada Post (and USPS for that matter) are absolutely awful when it comes to package tracking.  The website said the package left Canada on the 14th and that was the only update till yesterday, so I was worried customs had seized it or something.  Then I came home to a lovely package waiting for me!  Just for fun, I checked the tracking number and all the information was updated AFTER i got the package haha.

Anyways, enough about the shipping, time for the amp!

This is my first headphone amp and first component in my future HiFi setup.  The only tube amps I've heard before are guitar amps which sounded amazing, and I've always wanted the little glowy satisfaction of having tubes so I sprung for the MP-301 based off Skylab's review.  Check it out if you want more info on this amp.  Anyways, my set up is computer (running foobar with WASAPI) through an 1/8 to RCA cable into the MP-301 and then a 20 ft (only headphone extension cable Radio Shack had) with my ATH-M50s plugged in.

To be quite honest, I can't tell much of an improvement over WASAPI directly into my headphones.  Going from the standard audio to WASAPI made my music sound absolutely fantastic and I was hoping the amp would do that too.  I have not seen that completely yet.  The audio quality is improved but again, not that dramatic.  I'm hoping to let the tubes burn in a bit and then see what happens.  However, from what I CAN perceive, the music sounds a bit richer with a little more bottom end.  

There is a slight hiss whenever music is not playing but I've gotten over it and kind of like it as it reminds me my amp is on.  However, if I accidentally bump the 1/8" input on my computer a RIDICULOUSLY LOUD static buzz emanates from my headphones.  I've had that problem with my old receiver so I'm assuming that's standard among audio equipment.

These are just my initial impressions.  Keep in mind I'm a complete audio noob so don't bear too harshly on this haha!

Jun 25, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 12
What is this MP-310 amplifier you speak of? Not even a search here or on google reveals anything, maybe I've been living under a rock
confused.gif

Jun 25, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #4 of 12
I see! I wasn't interested in a sub machine gun / head amp combo, but this thing screams value!

Jun 25, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 12
Though if it was a sub machine gun and head amp combo, it would be an AMAZING value for $200.

That being said, is there anything wrong with what I was expecting from it? As in a dramatically different sound from stock WASAPI to headphones?

Jun 25, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #6 of 12
The M50's aren't exactly state of the art and tubes do pose a 1 percent distortion figure over whatever lower distortion numbers WASAPI does or does not impose.  So don't beat yourself if you can't hear a difference - I wouldn't either.

That richness you heard is the key to the musicality of tubes - you just keep listening for a while and go back to solid state and then run back to tubes.  Tubes inject a dash of naturalness to the sound, a richness inherent in real performances, that's all I have to say about that.

That hum is probably from your low ohm M50.  Better phones with a higher impedance load (k701 should be OK) will reduce and even eliminate this hum and appreciate the voltage capabilities of tubes more so than the M50.  You are in for a treat.

Jun 25, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #7 of 12
Wow alright.  I was starting to feel some buyer's remorse but I guess it's just a way to get you hooked
biggrin.gif

Are there any cheap improvements or things I can do to improve my sound? Or should I just let the tubes burn in.

I've heard about tube rolling, but I am unfamiliar with the tubes used.  Any recommendations or places to buy them?

I'm not ready to buy a DAC or new headphones yet, but they are definitely down the road.

Jun 25, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #8 of 12
Yeah burn-in for tubes are real and drastic - the biggest change in sound will be from that.  You can debate burn-in with cans and solid state amps - there is perhaps truth there, but not with tubes.

Heck I have four amps with tubes in-em and still haven't rolled any.  Though I must try.

Jun 27, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #9 of 12
 Hi arjunvenkawhat. How are you feeding your new amp? Is it through the computers output from a sound card or from the onboard audio chip? Are you connected through connectors on the back or from a headphone out jack on the front? The jacks on the front of computers are notorious for have a poor signal and switching from the jacks to the rear ones can often improve your signal.
 You stated you are not ready for a DAC or new phones. I think either (or both for that matter) *will* add a noticible difference to your amp/system, but let's see what we can do to improve what you have now in the meantime.

Jun 27, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #10 of 12
I'm currently running it through my only headphone jack on my laptop.  However, it's a combination optical/headphone out so I figured it would give a better output than just a headphone jack alone (for some reason).  However, I've let the tubes burn in and my music is sounding great!  Everything feels a lot richer and fuller.  The bass has finally started to come in and it's a nice tight bass.  I highly recommend this amp to anyone who wants a tube amp which can drive both headphones and speakers.  Realistically, it's the only amp in its price range that has all those features!

Jun 27, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #11 of 12
 That's great news! I'm happy you are getting better sound through your new amp. With tube amps, you can always change/improve the sound with tube rolling in the future, so it  *can* get even better if you find the right tubes for your setup. Enjoy the music!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back