Got my MS1 yesterday but..
Dec 20, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #16 of 46
You didn't really mention what kind of source you were using.

I'm still amassing funds for a Gamma1 and a CK2III. I'll submit my final judgement then.

I wonder if an amplifier (Mini^3) with a single 9V (or 9V PS) is sufficient in most cases.

(For the record, I don't believe in drastic changes from burn-in either.)

Dec 20, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #17 of 46
If by source you mean the mp3s Mostly they are V0 from what and some are 24 bits flac.

So should I get a Dac like emu 0202 100 &or maybe not ?

Edit: I have just tried on my 2 GB creative zen stone plus mp3 and the sound is MUCH better !! much more warm and not so distant.

Dec 20, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #18 of 46
I prefer comfies to bowls when it comes to comfort. I'll probably take a chance and mod my comfies one day ... I'm enjoying them too much to bother right now.

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #19 of 46
Update:

I went to my friend house to test it on his Desktop.

The sound that came out of this cans was just PHENOMENAL AMAZING , I was speechless.

The voices and instruments were so sharp and clear as I thought it would be or even better, the sound of distorted electric guitars were just mind-blowing, oh the sub-woofer that was berely noticeable on my laptop came alive with great clear dried punchs.

And all this was on his onboard soundcard with soundMAX drivers, I can't even imagine with a good soundcard.

I have to buy ASAP something for the laptop to make the sound at least at the level of my friend card.

What are your suggestions ?

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #20 of 46
Compass DAC?
wink.gif

Also, quarter mod your comfies or get bowls or HD414 (and then quarter mod them). All comfies should die.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Compass DAC?
wink.gif

Also, quarter mod your comfies or get bowls or HD414 (and then quarter mod them). All comfies should die.
very_evil_smiley.gif

+1 the compass is a good place to start, and in my opinion sound from my quarter modded pads is superior to that from the standard comfies. I find my 414 pads more comfy than the grado comfies.

Dec 21, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by OrcaMarinha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok so which compass DAC should I get ?

The only one they make?

Audio-gd Compass

Dec 21, 2009 at 12:34 PM Post #25 of 46
Google is your friend...

Depends on your budget. The compass costs 3x your phones, so unless you plan on adding phones to your collection, that makes it poor value IMO.

You could look at the iBasso products that are around $1-200. But, in general, the cheaper you go, the cheaper the sound you buy. There are both bargains out there, and overpriced mediocrity.

Bear in mind, as you have to buy an external unit, they cost more than good soundcards - which would be the better option for a low end phone, but obviously not possible with a laptop. Also, if you get something portable, you pay premium for that too.

EDIT $100 for an external DAC? That does not buy very much at all I'm afraid. sure you don't have a desktop PC you can get a decent soundcard for?

Dec 21, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #26 of 46
Yes I have a old Pentium 4 but I want to be able to be on my laptop browsing and listening to music. since the its hooked to a monitor its just like a desktop The cable isn't long enough to reach the computer.

But like I said a 100$ budget isnt enought to reach the onbord sound of the P4C800 motherboard quality , with something like this Creative Labs Online Store (Europe) | Sound Blaster | Buy Creative Sound Blaster Play! or this HOTAUDIO BIT-PERFECT USB DAC HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER AMP - eBay (item 280440450029 end time Dec-25-09 08:56:12 PST) ?

Dec 21, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #28 of 46
Dec 21, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by OrcaMarinha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found a way to use my desktop to connect the headphones.
So what are my options here, a sound card ? If so which you suggest ?

Asus cards get good feedback from users.

Not sure how much, but the D2X, DX or the XFi Titanium could be in your budget. STX appears their best for music, but out of your budget.

Lot of cards out there, though. Do research, don't rush into it to early.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigCW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Around the $100 mark I've heard good things about the nuForce uDAC.

Nuforce.com | Icon HDP

A soundcard will be far better value. I've done the cheap DAC thing and most are crap. $100 does not buy very much in an external device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back