Got my MS1 yesterday but..
Dec 19, 2009 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

BoogieWoogie

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, so I got my ms1 one yesterday and at first was just mind blowing compared to my 2 euros headphones but today after alot of hours I find them kinda ordinary, The sounds isnt that crispy , clear as I thought it would be, specially with rock it turns kinda messy.

I use my laptop Onboard realtek soundcard , maybe this explain it ?
So I want the experts opinion, what can I do to improve the sound and if its worth.

Dec 19, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 46
I think you need some burn-in time. Onboard realtek doesn't exactly sound great either, I''ve been using onboard for a few days now after I sold my sound card to get a DAC and the sound in general is kinda edgy and unresolving (even my Zune sounds much better with my Grados) .

Dec 19, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 46
Small differences between my netbook's audio out and out of my D2 Boa.

I think you would appreciate a change in pads more. Quarter modded comfies or bowls should give you more detail, yes?

Dec 19, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #7 of 46
Didn't know changing pads could make such a difference I guess I prefer try it before going for the dac.

I'm new I don't understand allot of the terms so be gentle :p

What are the quarter mod comfies and damping the back, are bowls better?

Dec 19, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by OrcaMarinha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find them kinda ordinary, The sounds isnt that crispy , clear as I thought it would be, specially with rock it turns kinda messy.

OrcaMarinha, congratulations on your purchase.
I think your new headphones needs "burn-in" just what I did with my Grado SR60. At the first day when I use my SR60, it sounds like my low budget earphones. I was a bit disappointed until I've found the thread from this very good headfi.org about "burning headphones."

In the end, my patience was tested with headphones.
And also I love "burning headphones."

P.S. Listen to them, and day by day it will show some sonic sound qualities that you will be asking from a good headphone meant to rock your rock music.

Dec 19, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #10 of 46
Thanks =)

I forgot to mention but this pads really hurt my ears.. What makes kinda hard to enjoy the music with all the pain.

The bowls can solve this problem plus better sound ?

I dint believe much on the burn in since some say its placebo but lets see.

Dec 19, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #11 of 46
If the pads hurt your ears I doubt the bowls will be better. The don't call the pads "comfies" for nothing. Bowls are a lot stiffer and the cloth covering the hard plastic driver housing actually sits on your ear.

Dec 20, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #12 of 46
Pads Schmads, Burn in Schmermin.

On board sound sucks. I ran my MS1 from onboard and rock sucked; even well recorded rock.

Get a DAC. Anything else is just tinkering and hoping - and won't improve a crap source. Been there done that.

Dec 20, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #13 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pads Schmads, Burn in Schmermin.

On board sound sucks. I ran my MS1 from onboard and rock sucked; even well recorded rock.

Get a DAC. Anything else is just tinkering and hoping - and won't improve a crap source. Been there done that.

My ears and D2 Boa would like to disagree with you. The sound wasn't significantly better, unless you sit there and listen to music.

But that's wasted time.

Dec 20, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #14 of 46
If the comfies are hurting your ears, try adjusting (stretching) the headbands so the headphones sits lightly on your ears. That is one quick fix to reduce any discomfort. Don't worry about bending it too much, under the fake leather is a thin, flimsy strip of aluminum that can be readjusted according to your needs.

Dec 20, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntropic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My ears and D2 Boa would like to disagree with you. The sound wasn't significantly better, unless you sit there and listen to music.

But that's wasted time.

$160 for the Basso isn't much to spend on a Portable source. I 'upgraded' my laptop for $100 and was completely underwhelmed. Then I got the 3move, my ears could tell a significant difference.

Also, if you were running the Basso off a mp3 player, you'd only be amping the player's DAC. Even my 3move provides marginal improvements with an iPod, but my PC, where the DAc bypasses my card, is a different story.

I didn't need to listen for the differences.

If someone's ears can't hear the difference with a good source, then pad mods and burn in voodoo certainly isn't going to cut it either. I've done all the MS1 pad mods (and on my RS2) and they're a crock IMO. But don't let the dissenter spoil the party...

Course, unless OP is going to get other headphones, a decent source upgrade is poor value. If he were using a PC, a good soundcard would be a cheaper option. But with laptops your stuck, so you have to pay for portability; you pay probably twice as much for the same quality of soundcard product.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xkRoWx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't worry about bending it too much, under the fake leather is a thin, flimsy strip of aluminum that can be readjusted according to your needs.

It's far from flimsy, and it's steel. It's so unflimsy, you can straighten it out flat and reshape it again. Hours of fun for the kids...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back