Got my DT880s
Jan 25, 2006 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

Steve999

smooth, DARK
I received my DT880s this evening!!! I have only listened for about 1 1/2 hours so I don't want to pretend I am an expert on the sound or that I am immune to simple infatuation with my new toy.
wink.gif

Anyway, initial impressions are extremely favorable, though I don't know what I could say about them that hasn't been said already.

I got the old version in the aluminum box from B&H photo, in perfect new condition. I got the straight cord. The 15 fooot extension cord that comes with it is a nice touch. On the box there are some stickers in some other language (German?) saying stuff like "AUDIO test sieger / test in AUDIO 2003" and "AUDIO goldnes ohr 2003 / 1. Platz in der Kategorie Kopfhorer."

If I remember right, these came out in about 2003.

Anyway, I'd be interested in how these were designed... if it was computer aided or just by ear or what, because it's a pretty marvelous piece of work! It would be hard to believe this could have been done without some hi-tech types of tools, etc.

Comfort is great. You do get a small amount of isolation compared to, say, a Senn HD580 or a Grado SR60.

The DT880s are a pretty good but not perfect fit for lying down in bed, which is actually very important to me.

Obvious traits of the sound are very very deep bass extension, great midrange clarity yet with warmer mids than most phones that have this kind of clarity, and a good deal of treble content. They strike me as being as advertised -- very euphonic, yet very accurate (the two don't always go together!).

I've been comparing them to my Grado SR60s, Senn HD580s, Sony V6s, Sony HD280s, Sony CD580s, and Sony CD780s. First impressions are that the DT880s have the best bass extension and the best clarity and are most pleasing to the ear of any of the above.

With the DT880s, I have a very easy time imagining that THIS is pretty colse to what the recording engineer had in mind when he made the recording. Or imagining THIS is pretty close to what that person's voice sounds like.

If one prefers emphasized mid-bass or rolled off highs, or thinks of that kind of sound as accurate, then I'd say steer clear. One benefit of only a moderate amount of mid-bass, however, is that you hear the low bass with great clarity (which I find to be just plain fun) and the bass sounds overall are very natural and do not color the lower midrange sounds (such as male voices). The treble may be just a bit tipped up, or it may be quite accurate, I don't know which way to call it. I do get a little sibilance from some vocals, but it may well be that's just the way the recording was done, with the singer right up on the mike. Other recordings sound just right. Drum cymbals, triangles, and those types of things sound very, very realistic -- the timbre sounds very natural. So I'm tempted to think there's a lot of accuracy involved. [Edit: long-term impression is that the mids and bass are near-perfect and that the highs are moderately in excess of neutral).

Oh well, it's time to go back to the phones!!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll post more later as the days go on and I get more used to these, if I can think of anything more to add. A lot of what has been said about these is pretty good though. It's hard to know what to add. Acoustic instruments do sound as natural as I can remember hearing them from a hi-fi setup.

Well, enough already!!! Hope this made a good read for somebody. It's very exciting for me.

Jan 25, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #2 of 56
congrats man - sounds like you're lovin the sound and it'll only get better with burn-in right?
icon10.gif
im planning to buy DT-880s later this year (march maybe?) also from B&H - hopefully they'll still have a few left by then

but enjoy!

Jan 25, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 56
I agree about the bass extension! First time I heard it, I was like...what is that subwoofer like bass? It just felt like you could imagine the ground shaking (but in reality it would be your head shaking).
smily_headphones1.gif

Enjoy!

Jan 25, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 56
Yeah, the headroom graphs bear this out -- just a little mid-bass emphasis and extended straight down to 20 hertz. AMAZING technical achievement.
basshead.gif
And a lot of fun to hear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrilix
I agree about the bass extension! First time I heard it, I was like...what is that subwoofer like bass? It just felt like you could imagine the ground shaking (but in reality it would be your head shaking).
smily_headphones1.gif

Enjoy!

Jan 25, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 56
Thanks for the well-wishes!!! Since it's my thread, I'll say it -- I don't believe in headphones physically burning in.
evil_smiley.gif
Psychological burn in -- absolutely. Yeah, I wanted to get in on the old version of the DT880s because a friend tried them out for me lying down and said they were perfect for that, and he was right. I'm not sure the new version will be such a nice fit, even if it sounds the same. Plus I like the way the old ones look. Plus how could I be sure the new version will sound the same? I was going to wait a while longer but decided to pull the trigger to be sure I got the old version.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by kukrisna
congrats man - sounds like you're lovin the sound and it'll only get better with burn-in right?
icon10.gif
im planning to buy DT-880s later this year (march maybe?) also from B&H - hopefully they'll still have a few left by then

but enjoy!

Jan 25, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #6 of 56
I don't think they're so good at lying down because the headphones will actually touch the pillow --> there will be pressure from the pillow on your headphones pushing them up. Personally, I like to be careful with my headphones as something may break...

Jan 25, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #7 of 56
Yeah, I am finding this to be true. Fortunately I use a very firm pillow (that space-age Swedish stuff) and I rotate the headband up a little toward the ceiling and it's pretty comfy but not perfect. The phones do get pushsed up a little to my ears. Very simlar to what happens with the HD580s. It was comfy enough so that I dozed off with them on, though.
cool.gif

Quote:

I don't think they're so good at lying down because the headphones will actually touch the pillow --> there will be pressure from the pillow on your headphones pushing them up. Personally, I like to be careful with my headphones as something may break...

Jan 25, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #8 of 56
Congratulations! To my ears, the DT880 is damn close to the perfect headphone.

You just don't normally find this extreme bass extension combined with lack of unnatural boosts anywhere. They are chameleons that sound like a different headphone to me with every recording. The only flaw (if you could call it one) is that bright/thin recordings are presented exactly as they really sound, which can weed out one's CD collection. It's a little depressing how many crappy recordings are out there
frown.gif

Jan 25, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #9 of 56
At the time of this posting...there are 4 threads about the DT880 on the first page... and it seems like everyone is enjoying them or about to enjoy them.
580smile.gif

Jan 25, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #10 of 56
Quote:

At the time of this posting...there are 4 threads about the DT880 on the first page... and it seems like everyone is enjoying them or about to enjoy them.
580smile.gif

...this helps to confirm my thoughts about having made the right choice.

Jan 25, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #12 of 56
Welcome to the club, my man! We need a DT880 smiley!

FWIW, I have used my DT880s briefly with my laptop and my 5G iPod. While it isn't optimal sound quality (running the DT880s out of my PA2V2 or my ES receiver brings out better performance) both sources can drive the DT880s. You will have to turn the volume quite a bit more than you're used to.

There won't be any negative effects, per se, you just won't be squeezing maximum performance out of your DT880s. But when I bought mine, for a long time I wouldn't use it on low-powered sources because the sentiment in this forum made me think it would sound like garbage. In fact, they do sound quite good from those sources, just not as great as they do with good equipment.

Jan 25, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #13 of 56
Thanks! I see a lot of people talking about the DT880 bass and the highs in other threads. I think people like extra bass in their headphones to make up for the lack of visceral impact as compared to speakers. But if it's overdone you lose out on being able to pay attention to the low bass and you pollute the mids. Along these lines, the DT880s I guess are probably in excess of flat bass but have less mid-bass than most people at head-fi are used to in premium headphones.

It seems to me that the upper mids are not as bright, but are in fact warmer and more pleasing, than some other headphones (at one extreme lies the Sony V6), but the highs, above the upper mids, are perhaps a little tipped up, or maybe they are just very realistic -- I'm not sure which. In an event, it's a little more than people are used to. But since the mids are relatively warm, it all sounds good together. IMHO.
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Congratulations! To my ears, the DT880 is damn close to the perfect headphone.

Jan 25, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #14 of 56
The ultimate test is probably live, unamplified acoustic music -- well recorded classical, in other words. To me this just sounds more natural and closer to live than any other headphone I've heard (not that better isn't possible... I admit to be itching to try the K701
tongue.gif
).

Jan 26, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #15 of 56
After listening for a while, I began to notice that with the DT880s on more modern recordings, there was something in the treble that was bothering me. Not the midrange or upper mids, but the treble.

Actually, I was very surprised that something in this frequency range (about 9,000 hertz, which is well above what any musical instrument can produce as a primary tone, but I suppose lots of harmonics get up there), could bother me at this age (43). The effect of the treble emphasis seems to be to add some dryness to voices, saxophones, etc., and significant elevation in loudness of instruments with lots of high frequency content, and to make the bass sound significantly less emphasized in contrast. It bothered me most with voices and cymbals, or high hats. With older recordings it wasn't very noticeable, maybe because there's not much up there at that frequency in the older (pre-70s) recordings.

I've made a little adjustment with my Behringer DEQ2496 digital equalizer, taking the treble down in a narrow range, and now I can say without reservation it's the best headphone sound I've yet heard. The problem with having a DEQ2496 is that the reference for fidelity becomes much higher; I haven't run into a headphone yet that I can't make much better. With the adjustment, bass seems in nearly ideal proportion to the treble, and the dryness of voices and raspy types of things and over-emphasis in instruments with lots of high frequency content (drum cymbals, etc.) is gone.

My favorite headphone without EQ may or may not be the DT880 (to my surprise, the mid-to-upper treble emphasis does bother me), but I don't have to make that choice. With this EQ adjustment added, it's wonderful, by far the best.

By the way, what I thought I heard by ear and detected by experimenting with my DEQ2496 seems to correlate strongly with the headroom frequency response graph for the DT880.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back