Got My Brookstone Dual Drive Earbuds Today!
Aug 5, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #61 of 85
No, because it's just not true. Timbre in DDM2 are far from being below average, smooth, clear, sibilance free-yes, below average-no. From what I read here about these, they are more similar to DDM 1 than DDM2 which are more balanced and not that bass heavy. What about soundstage in these 'look a like ddm2' iems? DDM2 has great, open soundstage.

I said average and maybe a tad above in timbre based on the IEMs I've tried. I agree it's smooth, decently clear and sibilance free but  having a good timbre involves more than this. Timbre is about the tone color of the IEM if you will, an IEM can have a peaky response prone to sibilance while still having good timbre (Example: CKM99/HJE9000). It has a lot to do with the materials of the diaphragm and housing being used for dynamics. Another thing that affects the DDM2s timbre is the grain around the midrange, I think crossovers show their flaws more with dynamics based on my experience with the two Radius IEMs. 

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #62 of 85
Any updates fellas?
popcorn.gif

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #63 of 85
My experience was a mixed bag. They were good for the price; but if the DDM2 was in fact identical, I couldnt see myself paying $250 for them. Isolation was so bad, I found myself fidgeting with the fit thinking they werent seated correctly. My impression of the SS was heavy handed hits, with some boom from the midbass; lifeless mids and coherent highs. The imaging wasnt anything astonishing either(perhaps this is the lack of timbre everyone speaks of?). Since they didnt really bring anything new to the table for me, and because the mic didnt work with my phone, I ended up returning them for a refund.

So, is it worth the $60? Sure...
If this is your first venture into spendy IEM's, then I would reccomend them for their value. If you are looking at trying something different but already own high end IEM's, I personally would consider skipping this chapter..

edit: if anyone actually happens to like them, please dont take my post personal. I tend to favor more of a balanced - lean signature, my experience is only subjective
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #64 of 85
Well coming from a DDM diehard... I'm impressed 
tongue_smile.gif

For $60, this has got to be one of the best bang for the buck products out there. But then again, I'm easily impressed...
Signature is slightly north of DDM1, perhaps very close to DDM2 according to the original and 2 comparisons. I need a lot more time before I can say anything concrete, though. I think I enjoy original DDM more, but these aren't far behind.
edit: After a bit more listening, I can say for sure that these aren't as good as the DDM 1. So I can't really believe that these are exact copies of the DDM2. I guess the signature should be similar to the DDM 2, but the DDM is still a good few steps above these brookstone phones. Still very very good value, like everyone else said, for $60 though.

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #65 of 85
Wow, that is interesting. I absolutely love the DDM2, but I think they are way overpriced for the crappy build quality and form factor. Getting the same sound for $60 or whatever is nothing short of awesome. Not to mention these don't have that obnoxious fabric covered crap cable like the DDM2 as well.

I fully agree with Tiges - timbre and stereo imaging is *way* above average on the DDM2.

Aug 18, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #66 of 85
Just received my Brookstone and a big thank to those who offer me the chance (you know who you are!
wink.gif
). Since I own both DDM and DDM2, I guess some of you will like to know my initial impression, so here goes:

No, Brookstone Clear Dual Drive (or as I like to call it, BsCDD) is not identical to DDM2. In fact, it sounds much closer to DDM than it is to DDM2. BsCDD doesn't have the thickness of DDM2 and the overall tuning resembles DDM with just a tad less treble. In rough, BsCDD is like a 90% DDM with worst build, a 3 buttons mic and 1/3 of the price. For $60, I'll say it is a very decent buy. But out of the three, I still think DDM with MEElec bi-flange is my favorite when all things considered.

Detailed review will come in due time.

Aug 18, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #67 of 85
Quote:
No, Brookstone Clear Dual Drive (or as I like to call it, BsCDD) is not identical to DDM2. In fact, it sounds much closer to DDM than it is to DDM2. BsCDD doesn't have the thickness of DDM2 and the overall tuning resembles DDM with just a tad less treble.

Thanks for clearing that up. Looking forward to the full review later.

Aug 18, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #69 of 85
ClieOS - Thanks for the quick impressions! I am too looking forward to your detailed review. I did not hear any of the Radius DDM's, but I am very pleased with the BsCDD's. I have not heard a more pleasing IEM with iPhone controls at the $60 price point.

BTW - I am assuming when you mentioned thickness you were writing about the sound of the IEM, and not the physical housing?  

Quote:
.... BsCDD doesn't have the thickness of DDM2 and the overall tuning resembles DDM with just a tad less treble....

Aug 18, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #70 of 85

Quote:
BTW - I am assuming when you mentioned thickness you were writing about the sound of the IEM, and not the physical housing?  

Sound. The actual housing is almost identical except for the gold vs. silver and softer strain relief on BsCDD.

Aug 18, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #72 of 85
good thing that i don't have money or else i would have bought it :p does the ipod controls work with other devices? 

Aug 18, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #73 of 85

Quote:
good thing that i don't have money or else i would have bought it :p does the ipod controls work with other devices? 

The center button will work with some Android devices.  For ones that it doesn't, you'll need a TRRS converter that swaps the ground and mic channels.  MEE sells one for 10 bucks I think.  The volume controls will not work for any other devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back