Got my Beyerdynamic DT 880 headphones today!
Oct 12, 2005 at 4:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

Bleeding Spark

100+ Head-Fier
After about a year and a half with my Grado SR80's, it was time to try something new. After doing some research (most of it on this site) I decided to try the Beyerdynamic DT 880 headphones.

They arrived today and I'm letting them burn in for a few hours. I also ordered a Total Bithead amp from headroom for my ipod and my powerbook.

About how long should the burn in take for these particular cans?

Oct 12, 2005 at 10:44 AM Post #3 of 57
Congrats!
The 880s are very good headphones...I personally thought they sounded amazing with tube amps (compared to ss). If possible, try to test that out first before the bithead.

Oct 12, 2005 at 12:06 PM Post #5 of 57
I think after 100 or 150 hours the sound will have stabilized. But don't worry too much about break-in! Mine has sounded good right from the start, with just a trace of sibilance and harshness which eventually went away. Also the softening of the earpads will make a slight difference, so take care to wear it during break-in!
cool.gif
blink.gif

peacesign.gif

Oct 12, 2005 at 12:09 PM Post #6 of 57
Do you like them already?

Oct 12, 2005 at 12:14 PM Post #7 of 57
Congrats on your new 880's!
I also received a pair of DT 880's yesterday, I'm very impressed, they sound great right out of the box. Good luck, and enjoy your new cans!

Oct 12, 2005 at 12:40 PM Post #9 of 57
Welcome to the Beyer family! They are one of the most amazing pair of cans I have listened to... Gave me my first Wow factor when listening to Dave Brubeck's classic Time Out album.

Oh..and sorry about your wallet..

Oct 12, 2005 at 12:42 PM Post #10 of 57
Welcome to Team Beyer.

The DT880's are keepers that's for sure. They blend liveliness and refinement all in one nice comfy package.

Oct 14, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #11 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Do you like them already?

There was a bit of harshness when I first started using them, but most of that was due to the EQ I was using. These are by far the most comfortable headphones I've ever used, and no fatigue! The day I bought them I stayed up until after midnight listening to my favorite songs, the time just flew by!

About the tube amp, eventually I'm going to get one. But most of my listening is through my powerbook (17 inch G4 Apple laptop). The total bithead had a USB connector, which was the main selling point for me. It won't arrive until next Wednesday though.

I have a stack of new albums at home to listen to, so I'm going to continue breaking in the new cans tonight. On deck is Engineers, Flaming Lips, Beatles, Mercury Rev, Led Zeppelin, Porcupine Tree, etc.

Oct 14, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #12 of 57
Congrats! The DT880 is truly something special. It just sounds "right" to my ears.

Oct 14, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #15 of 57
Burn-in, shmurn-in. Just enjoy the music!

They are power hogs, and really need an amp. I am not a fan of tubes (except as bb gun targets) but anything will outpace the laptop output.

gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back