Got me some cheap Jecklin Float Model Ones...
Oct 21, 2010 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

danzal

100+ Head-Fier
On eBay last week, I happened upon a pair of potentially cheap Floats. After being burned by some git who managed to win some Ergo 2s that I was bidding on a week previous, I thought I'd try my luck this time around.

I won the auction for the sum total of £7.75 delivered to my door.

They were being sold by some bloke who was clearing out his recently deceased brother's gear and stated that the foams were partially disintegrated, and somewhat manky. Upon arrival, they were indeed manky. Very, very manky. They reeked of cigarette smoke, were generally grimy and had more fluff, dust and other cack on than is natural for anything, let alone a pair of headphones. They left a weird, sticky and unclean feeling whenever they were handled which affected somewhat OCD levels of hand washing. They also had a dead connection or three at the connector, but seemed to work with the connector held in precisely just the right position.

So back off to eBay I went, and ordered some speaker grill cloth and a new 1/4" jack.

I stripped the headphones to their component parts, cleaned them all over with methylated spirit, cleaned the drivers (lots or hair - bleurgh), bathed the metal grills in paint stripper to remove glue residue (and that awful sticky crud), then left all the plastic parts to soak in a bowl of water detergent over night. After drying everything, all the bits were decidedly clean and no longer stank.

I spent a couple of hours reassembling them this evening, fitting new grill covers and foams. The end result is this:

What do I think?

Well, they're very comfy and they look awesome.

How do they sound? Best described as a bit like a big old pair of good quality speakers from about 1985. Fantastic soundstage, nice mid range, but have a tendency to get a bit muddy at the bottom end and seem to fall over themselves in complex bassy passages. Very laid back, which is rather nice - good for a bit of relaxed late night listening. They definitely benefit from being cranked up too, where everything becomes a bit less mangled and wooly, but warm and well, better defined.

For a total of ~£17 I think they're a bit of a steal.

Now to find some Model Twos or Ergo 2s...

Oct 22, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #2 of 10
You made me dig out my pair,thx.
duggehsmile.png

These are my second pair of mk1's,i still have my original pair (silver writing on the side and a round cable) R.I.P.
I love the presentation on these ,not much bass ,nice mids as you say.
Strange thing i like about these cans is the soundstage ,it draws you in and i find myself "watching " the music rather than listening,odd but......
I had the mk2's for a while but i thought they traded some of the smoothness and soundstage for more bass,they didnt work for me.
Go straight for the ergo2's ,combines the best of both imo.
BTW,where did you source your new foam
biggrin.gif

P.S.never post a pic of yourself wearing them on here,
floatsmile.png

Oct 22, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #3 of 10
Don't worry, no danger of me posting a pic wearing them!

I'll keep my eyes open for the Ergo 2s (or possibly some electrostats). I have a feeling that I'll be waiting a while though, as it seems that they are few and far between.

As for the foams - I made them from bits laying around at work. Got loads of the stuff!

Oct 22, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 10
I know there will be a set of jecklin stats on ebay in a week or two ,doubt they will be cheap though.
A friend of mine is selling them,he recently had them rebuilt in switzerland.

Oct 22, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #5 of 10
HA, HA!
That's a steal indeed.

"Floats from the Dead"

Jan 24, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #8 of 10
god i love the look of these xD

Jan 24, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #10 of 10
if i had these id crack up everytime i saw myself wearing them... 
they actually sound alright though :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back