Got any good Post/Sludge Metal?
Aug 29, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #46 of 60
Hey, Thanks for sugestions, that will keep me busy for a while. Really like Electric Wizard, any fans of Acid King, have been enjoying them much.The vocals not so foward, YEAH keeping volume just below ear bleed level.

Aug 31, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #47 of 60
Anyone into this thread should google sirensound.

I don't suggest it because of downloading, any head-fi-er with more than three cells for a brain wouldn't rely on music downloads of that quality to satisfy their musical needs.

I suggest the site because of the incredible wealth of music presented. I have bought the majority of my music this year directly as a result of spending time on sirensound, in fact I've totally screwed myself for cash during one month in particular after buying more albums than I realised. Awesome site for finding new music and supporting new artists.

Aug 31, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #49 of 60
What is it that you people don't like about Pelican's The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw? It is so far the only thing mentioned in this thread that I would honestly recommend.
frown.gif

Sep 1, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #50 of 60
^ It's an awesome album, I really don't know why they get hassled for their more recent efforts... or Red Sparowes for that matter. General reason seems to be that their sound 'hasn't progressed' or some similar cliched crap. I'd much prefer musicians just produced music they believe in and journey through.

Sep 1, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #51 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That stuff is not easy to find in hard copy. Best bet is to keep tabs on eBay.

Not difficult to find for download, though it probably won't be a "legal download".

Also, Noothgrush kicks ass.

Slap-A-Ham Records had a Noothgrush discography CD (Failing Early, Failing Often) a couple of years back, but the label isn't operating any more, unfortunately.

Corrupted ... too many splits and EPs to properly keep track of, but HG Fact may have some of their stuff. Mailorder from Japan is a killer, though. I think the HG Fact website lists some US distributors, so maybe could try those out.

Sep 1, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #52 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by basic-chanel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is it that you people don't like about Pelican's The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw? It is so far the only thing mentioned in this thread that I would honestly recommend.
frown.gif

I love that album. Much, much better than Australasia.

Sep 2, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #53 of 60
Quote:

frown.gif

Not that I don't like it, it's just not nearly as good as their earlier work (the self titled EP and Australasia, that is), nor is it as good as a lot of other similar stuff. Still a solid album.

It's a shame City of Echoes wasn't very good.

Sep 2, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #54 of 60
Quote:

City of Echoes was actually good for me. They managed to make a different sounding sludge album.

Anyway my 9-month old son still only grooves to "Drought" from Australasia. No kidding.

Sep 2, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #55 of 60
Quote:

Not that I don't like it, it's just not nearly as good as their earlier work (the self titled EP and Australasia, that is), nor is it as good as a lot of other similar stuff. Still a solid album.

I have trouble seeing it as inferior to the self-titled EP and Australasia; for me, both of those records came off as incredibly generic, as do most things in this thread. The only redeeming quality for me is that Pelican was kind enough to spare us from forced vocal content.

I agree on City of Echoes, though. It sounds like a collection of early demos for The Fire in Our Throats.

Sep 15, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #56 of 60
Great thread. Probably will have to check out a few bands on here.

It's not strictly "post-metal", but I think that most of the people here can appreciate Ahab - "The Call of the Wretched Sea". It's a funeral doom concept album about Moby Dick... Possibly a little heavier than what some of you are used to, but definitely very good stuff.

Sep 16, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #57 of 60
I'm surprised no one mentioned Burst. I consider them in with Post Metal. The albums Prey On Life and Origo are very good. Their new album Lazarus Bird is a departure, it's more progessive and weird...

Some other good releases to check out (if you can find them):

Mare - Mare
Zatokrev - Zatokrev

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although I love Jens's voice, wouldnt mind hearing some super techy, evil metal without vocals.

Super techy evil metal without vocals huh? Try Sleep Terror - Probing Tranquility. It's like Necrophagist with jazzy parts and without vocals.

Ryan

Feb 26, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #58 of 60
Quote:

both of those records came off as incredibly generic, as do most things in this thread.

I appreciate this comment, as I believe one of the worst things about heavy music in general is the tendency of fans to give FAR too much credit to copy cat artists who are merely aping the style of the genuine innovators in a style. And to be honest, most of the innovators of heavy music styles tend to take a good idea and run it straight into the freaking ground (i.e. the Godflesh and Neurosis catalogs, and although I am not certain, I suspect that Isis and Sunn O))) could be included here too).

There are hardly any heavy music recordings that I can honestly say I like listening to all the way through, though when I do find a series of recordings I like I am a huge fan, like I am about Earth right now.

Feb 26, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #59 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And to be honest, most of the innovators of heavy music styles tend to take a good idea and run it straight into the freaking ground

Says the guy with the Meshuggah avatar pic...

I think Neurosis has evolved over the years far more than Meshuggah. Even so, I agree with you for the most part.

Feb 27, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #60 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakercj93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Says the guy with the Meshuggah avatar pic...

I think Neurosis has evolved over the years far more than Meshuggah. Even so, I agree with you for the most part.

Put your dagger elsewhere sir, the subject of this thread is post rock/sludge metal, and that is why I left my comments on the subject at hand. I have similar criticisms of Meshuggah too, but in the interest of keeping the topic on track, I did not mention any other metal acts I have this issue with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back