Got any good Post/Sludge Metal?
Aug 21, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #32 of 60
I think the sludge element seems to be present in a lot of the post-metal acts. Post metal acts like Isis and Cult of Luna seem to have more melody than someone like Electric Wizard, and that seems to be a defining factor.
IMO, Electric Wizard seems to share a lot of similarities to Giant Squid, especially to the title track.

I have tried 3 albums of Neurosis. I hated the vocals initially but now I have gotten used to them. The music and song writing itself is phenomenal, but it seems to me the production is a little too raw and not too well-done (maybe intentionally to produce the depressing atmosphere). I just wish the production was a little more slick (similar to Isis - Panopticon, which I think has a fantastic sound). Thats what seems to keep me away from Neurosis quite so often.

Aug 21, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #33 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by RationalGaze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the sludge element seems to be present in a lot of the post-metal acts. Post metal acts like Isis and Cult of Luna seem to have more melody than someone like Electric Wizard, and that seems to be a defining factor.
IMO, Electric Wizard seems to share a lot of similarities to Giant Squid, especially to the title track.

I have tried 3 albums of Neurosis. I hated the vocals initially but now I have gotten used to them. The music and song writing itself is phenomenal, but it seems to me the production is a little too raw and not too well-done (maybe intentionally to produce the depressing atmosphere). I just wish the production was a little more slick (similar to Isis - Panopticon, which I think has a fantastic sound). Thats what seems to keep me away from Neurosis quite so often.

Couldnt agree more.
And x2 on Panopticon, what a finely produced album that is. Made for headphone listening...

Im guessing you are into Meshuggah from your name; are there any Tech-Metal Instrumental bands?

Although I love Jens's voice, wouldnt mind hearing some super techy, evil metal without vocals.

Aug 21, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #34 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rosetta - The Galilean Satellites

Ultimate.

Finally got around to listening to that album the other day. Music is great, but man are those vocals awful. Classic example of vocals ruining good songs. The instrumental stuff and the music underlying vocal tracks is great though.

I said "aw maaan" out loud when those vocals came in.
tongue.gif

Aug 21, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #35 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are there any Tech-Metal Instrumental bands?

Behold... the Arctopus - Nano-nucleonic Cyborg Summoning. the guy plays the warr guitar. he's also in the band dysrhythmia but they're not as techy.

Aug 22, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #36 of 60
I really do not know any instrumental tech bands out there, in fact there do not seem to be to many non-instrumental bands which sound like Meshuggah, forget instrumental.
Totally off-topic: If you want something like a cross between Meshuggah and Fear Factory, try Mnemic (obviously not as good as Meshuggah)

Aug 22, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #37 of 60
I gotta say, there is an amazing wealth of information here! Never knew there were so many post-metal acts out there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally got around to listening to that album the other day. Music is great, but man are those vocals awful. Classic example of vocals ruining good songs. The instrumental stuff and the music underlying vocal tracks is great though.

I said "aw maaan" out loud when those vocals came in.
tongue.gif

Yeah the vocals do kinda suck, but I think the music more than makes up for that...

Aug 22, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #38 of 60
Keelhaul - Subject to Change Without Notice
Burning Witch - Crippled Lucifer
Sunn0))) w/Boris - Altar
Sunn0))) Presents... Pentemple
Acid Bath - When the Kitestring Pops
Mistress - In Disgust We Trust

Aug 22, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #39 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keelhaul - Subject to Change Without Notice
Burning Witch - Crippled Lucifer
Sunn0))) w/Boris - Altar
Sunn0))) Presents... Pentemple
Acid Bath - When the Kitestring Pops
Mistress - In Disgust We Trust

All excellent, but no post-metal. I was very pleased with how well Pentemple turned out. It's also a shame that Mistress split up.

Also, and this is technical, it's Sunn O))). That is, with a capital "O" and a space.
tongue.gif

Aug 22, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #40 of 60
I've been listening to Metal for over 15 years and I'm still not sure what 'Post Metal' is. If it's in the vein of Isis, et al then I would consider that Doom/Sludge. Old Man Gloom and such I would consider Doom/Noise.

Of course, this is all semantics. Either way, from the bands already mentioned what I suggested would go down a treat.

Aug 22, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #41 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been listening to Metal for over 15 years and I'm still not sure what 'Post Metal' is. If it's in the vein of Isis, et al then I would consider that Doom/Sludge. Old Man Gloom and such I would consider Doom/Noise.

Of course, this is all semantics. Either way, from the bands already mentioned what I suggested would go down a treat.

Again, I'm not sure of that. In my experience, people who really like post-metal aren't necessarily going to like the relative simplicity and slowness of drone, or the sloppiness of something like Burning Witch. There are certainly many, such as ourselves, that love both worlds, and I'd encourage the OP to try them.

Isis is nowhere near doom, I'd say.

Aug 22, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #42 of 60
First or second wave Doom, then yes I agree, Isis doesn't fit the mould. But their the poster child for third wave Doom.

Aug 27, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #43 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Found a couple of CDs to order from this thread:
Giant Squid - Metridium Fields
Zozobra - Harmonic Tremors

Any other Cds like these with vocals?
I like some vocals with my post rock, have all the basic Neurosis, Isis, Cult of Luna etc

Got my Zozobra and really like it, very solid Neurosis style noise/post rock!

61s00hqD5hL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

I see they also have a newer album out, but not as highly rated, will just go with one album for now.

Aug 28, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #44 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Couldnt agree more.
And x2 on Panopticon, what a finely produced album that is. Made for headphone listening...

Im guessing you are into Meshuggah from your name; are there any Tech-Metal Instrumental bands?

Although I love Jens's voice, wouldnt mind hearing some super techy, evil metal without vocals.

Three instrumental tech-metal (or sort of ... ) albums I've enjoyed listening to recently:

Blotted Science - The Machinations Of Dementia

Behold...The Arctopus - Skullgrid

Collapsar - Integers

Aug 29, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #45 of 60
Been listening to Mouth of the Architect - Quietly

Its absolutely phenomenal and definitely doesnt sound too much like an ISIS imitator. Highly emotional and recommended

Users who are viewing this thread

Back