Got a MAX? DX220MAX, DX300MAX or DX320MAX and get a PB5 Korg Nutube Amp at 40% off! Tubes and Stepped Attenuator.
Jan 30, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #32 of 114
Ya and that would be me too.

You guys are evil.

If your a Max owner. How can you say no to this deal. Lol.
At 40% off, this is pretty much the reviewer special discount here.

Jan 30, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #33 of 114
At 40% off, this is pretty much the reviewer special discount here.
So it would seem. I was able to compare to a little of the competition and the difference is very noticeable. The PB5 seems to have no limits on stage size, it is quiet with my sensitive headphones and very dynamic with excellent bass response.

Jan 30, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #34 of 114
So it would seem. I was able to compare to a little of the competition and the difference is very noticeable. The PB5 seems to have no limits on stage size, it is quiet with my sensitive headphones and very dynamic with excellent bass response.
And very Tubey at it :). The 3 strengths of the PB5 which stands out a lot is Dynamic reproduction, staging and Tubeyness

Jan 30, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #35 of 114
And very Tubey at it :). The 3 strengths of the PB5 which stands out a lot is Dynamic reproduction, staging and Tubeyness
I am finding my 300B amp has a bit more atmosphere but, the PB5 has better imaging. The acoustical feel of the PB5 is excellent and this is splitting hairs but the imaging, I do notice more on the PB5.

Jan 30, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #36 of 114
I am finding my 300B amp has a bit more atmosphere but, the PB5 has better imaging. The acoustical feel of the PB5 is excellent and this is splitting hairs but the imaging, I do notice more on the PB5.
Yes, and I agreed! That is why I am stumped… I can’t believe that PB5 can retrieve the acoustical dynamic variations so well. Especially paired with D16. They both are magical together

Jan 31, 2024 at 10:05 AM Post #40 of 114
Yes, and I agreed! That is why I am stumped… I can’t believe that PB5 can retrieve the acoustical dynamic variations so well. Especially paired with D16. They both are magical together
Finally these are available here locally in Germany.

Does the D16 have a true desktop mode, as in will it work without battery ? Only thing I found was that it has separate USB ports for charge and DAC.

Jan 31, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #41 of 114

Does the D16 have a true desktop mode, as in will it work without battery ? Only thing I found was that it has separate USB ports for charge and DAC.
You can use it hooked to the USB and it works great.

Jan 31, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #42 of 114

Not sure what you mean by a true desktop mode, but you have two separate USB ports, one for data and another one for charging. So, you can either connect usb data port to your laptop or smartphone or use coax input instead, and have charging port connected separately for charging like you would with a desktop unit.

Jan 31, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #43 of 114
Not sure what you mean by a true desktop mode, but you have two separate USB ports, one for data and another one for charging. So, you can either connect usb data port to your laptop or smartphone or use coax input instead, and have charging port connected separately for charging like you would with a desktop unit.
Come on dude, you know what desktop mode is.

Let me make it simple. If the battery has 0 charge, will the device still work when connected to the PC via the data port, the way dongles without a battery work ?

Jan 31, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #44 of 114

Let me make it simple. If the battery has 0 charge, will the device still work when connected to the PC via the data port, the way dongles without a battery work ?
No, I don't think so. The D16 can not operate without battery. It can play and charge at the same time. However, once it gets full charges, it would stop charging, and would not trigger charging again until unplugging and plugging back in. Therefore, the best way is to listen to it without charging for a few hours and then listening to it with the charger connected

Though, I wouldn't call running off the battery to being a true desktop mode as it may be confusing. I would call it a "dongle mode" or battery "bypass mode".

The reason why the D16 doesnt feature Battery Bypass mode is in it designs, of which makes the D16 to be an amazing DAC in my opinion. I wouldnt want it to have the ability to run off straight USB power and bypassing Battery. Especially, the dirty USB regulated voltages. The D16 is more than that, and because she is such a supermodel in her own rights, she completely deserves to be special and treated so

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #45 of 114

Maybe you should explain more of what it is to you in the original question. To me, playing while plugged in, would be a desktop mode and running off of batteries while not plugged in, is not. Running off of the USB, which often isn't the cleanest and best quality DC is a bit of a detriment but being able to charge the batteries, run off of the DC from the batteries, is excellent and to me, very well can be called a desktop mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back