Got a MAX? DX220MAX, DX300MAX or DX320MAX and get a PB5 Korg Nutube Amp at 40% off! Tubes and Stepped Attenuator.
Feb 2, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #76 of 114
Here, a headphones amp that is as big as my stereo and could easily fill a small desk. I am done searching for desktop amp because I built this one with every ounces of my know how :) . I love WE-300B. Can it out perform PB5 ? Oooohhhh hoho. Can it be portable on the go ? Ouch !!
IMG_1652.jpeg
Out of curiosity, what DAC/AMP do you use while gaming and do you use headphones or speakers ?

Feb 2, 2024 at 7:27 PM Post #77 of 114
You don't even own the XD05Pro with ES9039Pro and Sparkos op-amps, do you ? So yea not much to consider when you keep preaching your new iBasso gadgets without an actual comparison.

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure the iBasso DAC+AMP are a great combo, but without a direct comparison I can't believe that it's worth twice the gear I have. If your theory is bigger the better then all of us should just buy some huge AMPs that fill the entire desk and be done with it.
No, I don't own your XD05Pro but I can gauge its performance from my Matrix Audio X-Sabre pro DAC (ESS9038pro) with a proper output stage along with my (fully discrete transistors with no op-amps) Kevin Gilmore Susy Dynalo mini (Headamp GSX mini). The PB-5 + D16 combo has pretty much equal the sound quality of that combo but in a transportable package so this is pretty remarkable IMO. Trust me, I have many huge amps that fill the entire desk and then some and still not done...haha. My Audio-Technica HA5050H is plenty big but is still small next to my Headroom Max Balanced and DIY Stax SRM-T2.

I hope you will get to audition the PB-5 + D16 soon. I really don't think you will be disappointed.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #78 of 114
You don't even own the XD05Pro with ES9039Pro and Sparkos op-amps, do you ? So yea not much to consider when you keep preaching your new iBasso gadgets without an actual comparison.

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure the iBasso DAC+AMP are a great combo, but without a direct comparison I can't believe that it's worth twice the gear I have. If your theory is bigger the better then all of us should just buy some huge AMPs that fill the entire desk and be done with it.

Can you bypass the internal DAC on the XD05Pro and use an external DAC instead?

Feb 3, 2024 at 9:00 AM Post #79 of 114
The 320Max is ultra resolving and perhaps the PB5’s “tube smoothing” of the sound presentation may be welcomed by some genres.

Going to try connecting the Max to my Cayin HA-6A to see how tubes may sound like in my setup/chain - may pull the trigger after the new year holiday (and further testing on a tube amp)!

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #80 of 114
Out of curiosity, what DAC/AMP do you use while gaming and do you use headphones or speakers ?
FIY, yes, I do gaming. When I am gaming, depends on the game, but I use X7 toward a small Yamaha speakers set, or I use HD800S directly toward X7 for Call of duty and such that need localized sound

I use dedicated speakers as stereos

I use HD800s exclusively for almost everything in my daily tasks

Feb 3, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #81 of 114
No, I don't own your XD05Pro but I can gauge its performance from my Matrix Audio X-Sabre pro DAC (ESS9038pro) with a proper output stage along with my (fully discrete transistors with no op-amps) Kevin Gilmore Susy Dynalo mini (Headamp GSX mini). The PB-5 + D16 combo has pretty much equal the sound quality of that combo but in a transportable package so this is pretty remarkable IMO. Trust me, I have many huge amps that fill the entire desk and then some and still not done...haha. My Audio-Technica HA5050H is plenty big but is still small next to my Headroom Max Balanced and DIY Stax SRM-T2.

I hope you will get to audition the PB-5 + D16 soon. I really don't think you will be disappointed.
The ES9039Pro is quite different from the aging ES9038Pro. Anyways I think we’re just going in circles so I’ll stop here.

Feb 3, 2024 at 9:57 PM Post #83 of 114
Why would you wanna do that ? It’s not a source device.

Because I want to use my 300MAX Ti as the source and utilise its internal DAC. That's why I went with the PB5 🙏

Feb 4, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #84 of 114
@Paul - iBasso

Is there any chance Paul that you can do a limited edition green case for the 300MAX / 320MAX to match the PB5 and D16?

I would definitely buy that! 💣💥💯

Might be easier to ask Valentinum to make a similarly green case.
I have a green case on my dx220MAX that might be a little lighter but may match.

20240204_181138.jpg
20240204_181010.jpg
20240204_181051.jpg

Feb 4, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #85 of 114
Because I want to use my 300MAX Ti as the source and utilise its internal DAC. That's why I went with the PB5 🙏
I still don't understand what you need.

The following makes sense
1. D16 + PB5
2. XD05Pro + PB5
3. DX300MAX Ti + PB5

What does not make sense is
1. DX300MAX Ti + XD05Pro <- this is what you are asking and it's the same as below.
2. DX300MAX Ti + D16

I mean you could use the DAP as a source and the XD05Pro or D16 as an AMP only. I use it sometimes with my DAP and it sounds better than using the DAP alone.
But in this case, I would rather buy a dedicated AMP like the PB5.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 7:55 PM Post #86 of 114
That DX300MAX and the D16, gives you a high performance 1 bit dac with superb sound. The amp of the D16 is also very good. It gives you more choices.

Feb 4, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #87 of 114
The D16 as a DAC/AMP is great option IMO. I think the performance is even par with if not better than the DX320 Max but you will need a digital transport to feed the D16. I tried the ZX707, 507, DX240, and DX320 X/Max with great success. Like others have said before, the D16 sounds better from the coaxial input with the DX320 Max being the best edging out the DX320 by a hair. The DX240 coaxial out is a little brighter with less body.

Feb 6, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #88 of 114
Tested the DX320Max with LO option into a Cayin HA-6A tube amp. Markedly improved sound to my ears; notes have much more weight, bass has greater texture, and music sounds more “full”. A quick A-B comparison yielded a very, very noticeable and easy to discern difference. One of the easier conclusions I’ve drawn in this hobby - thank goodness. Now I know I want to buy the PB5!

Feb 6, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #89 of 114
Just know that Ibasso is currently on break till February 18th. Paul will communicate but he told me the Pb5 transaction won't go through until then.

Feb 6, 2024 at 9:21 AM Post #90 of 114
Tested the DX320Max with LO option into a Cayin HA-6A tube amp. Markedly improved sound to my ears; notes have much more weight, bass has greater texture, and music sounds more “full”. A quick A-B comparison yielded a very, very noticeable and easy to discern difference. One of the easier conclusions I’ve drawn in this hobby - thank goodness. Now I know I want to buy the PB5!
I am glad you are enjoying this hobby. Have you experienced any other portable amps previously yet ? If I may ask

Users who are viewing this thread

Back