Got a lot of free time? How about helping finish a B22 build?
Jun 30, 2009 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

308med

100+ Head-Fier
I've got a B22 that is nearly complete. I purchased it incomplete last july and have had cotdt work on it until now. It is almost done and only needs the addition of heatsinks to the power supply modules.

All of the build materials are already purchased and included, but I'm told that whoever picks up the job needs access to a CNC machine. Is anyone out there interested in doing a little charity work for a fellow headfier? I can probably afford some sort of compensation for labor, but I've kind of already poured most of my money into this build as it is and would like to keep any further costs down.

If anyone's up for it, pm me for more details on the build/materials/etc.

Jul 1, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 38
What? This is a ridiculous request. It's one thing to seek advice on a forum - its intended purpose, but another to expect someone to put their hand up for hours and hours of labour, then potentially incur costs with CNC case work. Maybe get back to us when you've had your allowance raised. Or why not sell some of your gear off to fund it?

On another note, you don't necessarily need to case it professionally for it to work. If you're that povo, just case it in an ice-cream tub until you save up. Finish the build yourself that way, and get to use it.

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #4 of 38
Hi, this is a very max'ed out Balanced Beta22 but I recently developed a skin disease and can no longer finish the amp. This Beta22 is set to output the maximum amount of power and therefore uses custom CNC heatsinks and fancy casework. Two more Sigma22's need to be heatsinked with custom CNC heatsinks.

The builder needs access to a CNC machine and prior experience building either Beta22's or speaker amps. Estimated time to completion: 40 hours. We're hoping to find someone who can do this for free, as 308med is a college student.

Interested builders please send me a PM. May have to incur any additional costs, and must understand that this is charity work for 308med.

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #5 of 38
local CNC machining can cost about 60-100$ an hour (at least that's what a few in Portland quoted on the craigslist ad)..considering back and forth shipping it is probably easier to get the CNC work done locally don't you think?

Jul 1, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #7 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by penger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hope you get well soon and good luck finding a builder. Wondering what a beast it'll look like. Pictures? =P

Thanks man!

Here are some pics:

dsc2000g.jpg

dsc1940.jpg

dsc1974.jpg

dsc1931.jpg

This is a pic of one of the amp modules with custom CNC'ed heatsink installed:

heatsink0s.jpg

heatsink1s.jpg

Jul 1, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #8 of 38
Have you considered conrad heat sinks as an alternative to the cnc work?
If you cant find someone with free access to one then that might be the cheapest "best fit" option~

Jul 1, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by nattonrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you considered conrad heat sinks as an alternative to the cnc work?
If you cant find someone with free access to one then that might be the cheapest "best fit" option~

Conrad heatsinks seem more expensive to me. Doing it custom, it was $50 for raw material for 8 heatsinks.

Jul 1, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #10 of 38
codt - my best wishes for you.

But 308med, I gotta say looking at those pics doesn't inspire sympathy for a poor college kid who needs "charity" work done. I mean this is diy not dify
tongue.gif

95% of the people here could not afford the parts for that let alone have time to build it. So in that way it seems a bit obscene. Sorta like asking an out of working mechanic to fix your Lamborghini for free.

Jul 1, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My biggest question is how those heat sinks were going to be secured to the chassis???

I had the same question
confused.gif

If it was mounted via L-bracket's, it could at least be screwed or JB-welded onto the chassis, but it looks like it's sitting on top of the PCB.

It looks like an otherwise great build though.
I suggest settling for 2.5" board-mount heatsinks for your S22. It should still be able to handle a good amount of power dissipation, and should make finishing the build quite a bit simpler.

Jul 1, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #14 of 38
If you are a college kit, go down to the engineering department and ask to use their equipment! you'll probably have to do the CAD work and pay them a minimal charge and of course buy the materials but it will be much cheaper than going to an industrial place to do it!

I use my school's all the time when I need metal or wood work done and I am not home to use the family's "normal" tools (lathe, table saw, etc).

Jul 1, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
codt - my best wishes for you.

But 308med, I gotta say looking at those pics doesn't inspire sympathy for a poor college kid who needs "charity" work done. I mean this is diy not dify
tongue.gif

95% of the people here could not afford the parts for that let alone have time to build it. So in that way it seems a bit obscene. Sorta like asking an out of working mechanic to fix your Lamborghini for free.

I see what you mean. As I said in my first post, though, if someone is willing work on it, I can actually afford to pay them a reasonable amount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back