Got a lot of free time? How about helping finish a B22 build?
Jul 1, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #16 of 38
.... Sorry folks but I'm a college kid too, and as far as I'm concerned, when someone does something for me, especially at MY REQUEST, then asking/begging to do it for free is out of the question. ESPECIALLY for a request in this magnitude/regard.

As Sugrhigh points out, you're in college.... use your resources. I have access to a CnC machine but I have to pay for it. I also have access to milling machines etc... that I pay for to use on a daily basis, probably close to 50+ for the work shop then the CnC is 75/hr to have someone do it at my school. As a student I Can't do the work myself, and I can't even request to have it done, I have to go through channels, speak with professors, use my contacts etc... to get the wheels going on certain projects. I can only feel bad to a certain extent, I can't/won't help or feel bad for someone who won't lift a finger on their own end to do some of the work (when it seems to me at least, that they have the resources available -I do understand that not all universities have super highend equipment, but any tech university should have all the tools you need).

My point is, use what you got, use what you know, and DIY. A sigma 11 PSU is simple enough to build. The only real complication I see left with the project (a true beauty indeed) is the CnC work, and quite frankly that can be done last or omitted if possible (like using a premade heat sink -I know Cotdt said that the commercial heatsinks are more expensive, I think shipping + Cnc+ materials + return shipping would be more expensive or atleast would be comprable to the point where it would be more than fine to just buy the heatsink).

Sorry if I seem a bit PO'd in the post, but someone using the excuse of being a student... is just really low. Just plain Low and I personally take it as an insult and I would hope that the other folks around here who are students, yet still scrimp/save/work their butts off to get their projects done, feel the same way.

Jul 1, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #17 of 38
I thought that's that the Millet Starving Student was for... Starving Students..

Sorry, no sympathy from me...
Actually, I need to vent..

Get a ***** life.. IF you had enough money to start a project like this, then either you still have enough money to pay someone to finish it, or suck it up, learn some DIY by building a CMOY, SS, SOHAII, EHHA, Bijou, which all told, would cost less than what you already have paid someone else to build a B22 (no offense Ti, it is a brillant amp, top of the heap), with the custom designed panels, etc.

You need to get out of school and discover how things work in the REAL world, and see how much money you have to spend on luxuries like a custom B22..

OK.. I'm done..

Ok.. I'm done ranting..

Jul 2, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Estimated time to completion: 40 hours. We're hoping to find someone who can do this for free, as 308med is a college student.
Interested builders please send me a PM. May have to incur any additional costs, and must understand that this is charity work for 308med.

Sorry to hear of the illness cotdt... Hope things get better for you. Understand wanting to see such a project finished.

Although we may appear like a tough crowd, this can only seem odd given the spotty info:
  1. a poor college student that may have been joking when he said he spent $7K since joining HFO
  2. 308med from IL & builder (cotdt) from CA and no mention of any money changing hands. This whole thing was being done pro-bono by coldt?
  3. the poor guy has had some pretty nice purchases, even reaching D2000s which this 40+ yr old could only recently justify purchasing.
  4. involving a spare-no-expense, over-the-top B22 build that very few here could even consider commissioning/affording
Too many holes. Guess I agree this is a good opportunity for the college kid to take over the job.

Jul 2, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by 308med /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see what you mean. As I said in my first post, though, if someone is willing work on it, I can actually afford to pay them a reasonable amount.

That's not what you said at all.

I was made redundant 6 weeks ago, but I don't ask my local cafe to give me coffee free of charge because of this.

DIY, or offer a fair remuneration for the work you propose. Or be patient and wait until you can progress the project.

Jul 2, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #21 of 38
For one thing, I'm on summer break right now so for the next two months I have no access to anything that's on campus (not that I think they even have a CNC machine) unless I drive 100+ miles and break into buildings.

Also, I'm not straight up asking for charity. Maybe my first post was too misleading. I was told by cotdt that I should ask for someone to finish this job for free. To me, that sounds like either very little or fairly easy work is needed to finish the project. I'm apparently mistaken as cotdt simply believed others were as charitable and helping as he is. I have absolutely no problem paying someone to finish this build, but it seemed to me that my initial request for a builder, free of commission, was reasonable.

Moreover, nowhere did I say I was poor, downtrodden, or couldn't straight up afford to pay someone. I'm not a "starving student," but I do pull a 40hr a week job during breaks. Fortunately for me, the only expenses I have, despite living in the "real world," are personal effects, gifts, and luxury items (the $7000 listed above doesn't include money from items sold nor returned, merely money "spent"). You can blame my parents if some of you feel it unfair that I currently get free room and board. In addition, I didn't personally even mention or use being a college student as an excuse for anything. Cotdt was kind enough to add that, along with other information, so as to help better explain exactly where this build/project is at.

I did, however, say that most of my money was in this project. That fact is true. I have never spent so much money on a single luxury item before in my life and some of you are right to fault me for asking for free repairs on a Lamborghini. With that said, I'd still like to keep any further costs down (not necessarily eliminated), especially after I'd already paid cotdt for labor (and I don't expect any of this money back as he charged me a very reasonable, undisclosed amount and is discontinuing work through no real fault of his own).

If someone would like to pick this project up and charge a moderate fee, then I'll gladly pay, and cotdt will fill you in on all details left out.

However, if you don't feel like helping out a fellow headfier, then please don't post; it doesn't matter to me nor many others exactly what you may think about this apparently ludicrous request. I'm not looking for your sympathy, respect, or whatever the hell else you feel obliged to tell me you're withholding. This is the first time I've ever been flamed on headfi, and I never expected it would stem from requesting for help.

Thanks, though, to most everyone on the first page who have contributed some constructive ideas towards completing this thing, and an even bigger thanks to the few of you who have already pm'd cotdt and me with offers.

Jul 2, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #22 of 38
that's a sweet looking amp you got there. good luck with finding someone to finish it. the beta 22 is on the list of things i want to get in the future and because i have poor electronic knowledge, i'm gonna also need to have someone to build it for me.

i used to be a college student, now i am an unemployed graduate.
frown.gif

Jul 2, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by 308med /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have absolutely no problem paying someone to finish this build, but it seemed to me that my initial request for a builder, free of commission, was reasonable.

even 'finishing' a b22 means making sure there is no noise and hum due to layout.

unless the builder is VERY experienced, they'll probably have to either accept the poor wire layout (its trial and error for many people) or re-do things until they are right. that could take 10's of hours, easily.

if it was not all that much work or hard, YOU would have done it, right?

you did ask for quite a 'present' there even though you refuse to admit it.

I've done for-free work for people before, but what you ask is just WAY too much. I could finish soldering some things and such but asking for free work on casework is way WAY beyond the call of duty.

flamage is deserved. sorry.

find a project more your own speed and stop being so ego-driven that you MUST have 'the best'. learn that not everyone gets 'the best' in life. perhaps that's the life lesson you might need to learn (more badly than 'having' the best of something).

Jul 2, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Estimated time to completion: 40 hours. We're hoping to find someone who can do this for free, as 308med is a college student.

Since it seems 308med is getting PMs and says "If someone would like to pick this project up and charge a moderate fee, then I'll gladly pay" perhaps there nothing more to see here. Some misunderstandings in this thread maybe enough to ask for its deletion. Good luck to all.

Jul 2, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #25 of 38
You do have another option. Turn the Bias current down, use Normal Heatsinks and use it till you find someone who can put it to the spec you are trying to run. That would be more reasonable.

Jul 2, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #26 of 38
Ohhhh, pooooor me...
biggrin.gif
Heck, I built a Dynaco right in the middle of a war in the Persian Gulf (Desert Shield/Desert Storm) while active duty, defeating the enemy
beerchug.gif
, studied for my advancement exam (which I aced) and the nearest parts were over six thousand miles away and financially maintained a household in the US. I found the will, the time and got her done.
popcorn.gif

Jul 2, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... I found the will, the time and got her done.
popcorn.gif

Yes, with the will to do it, you will finally get it done, sooner or later.

Seems like this thread is posted at the wrong time or at least… not at the time when this happens, when almost nobody even asked if the lucky guy is rich or poor? or how many $$$ gears he own(ed)???

The time of random kindness seems to be over but lets keep it friendly and don’t be too harsh to each other.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back