Good USB DAC for the budget-constrained?
Sep 9, 2010 at 8:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

rappard

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

First post, so be gentle with me. :wink: Since both my laptops came with decent/generic sound cards I'm looking for a good USB DAC. Budget is around 200 USD although I might be tempted to go to higher.

Current setup:
- Audioengine A5 active speakers
- Grado SR60 headphones
- Windows XP (most of the time), Ubuntu (occasionally)

Future upgrades will probably be:
- Grado SR225 or closed ear Sennheiser headphones
- Windows 7 or Mac OS X

Requirements:
- 24/96
- headphone out
- RCA out
- built in volume control (knob)
- no messy/wonky driver issues under most/all OSes

I realize that I'm probably not going to fulfill all my requirements given my budget but 3 out of 5 wouldn't be too bad. From browsing the forums the following come to mind:
- Audinst HUD-MX1
- Firestone Audio Fubar 2  
- HRT Streamer II
- Musiland Monitor 02 US

Thoughts/recommendations/corrections/additions? Thanks in advance!

Sep 9, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #6 of 23

Quote:
Do you listen to 24/96 content?

On occasion - so not having 24/96 wouldn't be a dealbreaker.

Also, most of it is (are?) 24/96 vinyl rips done by a friend on high-end equipment. I sometimes wonder if it's even necessary to use such a high sample rate for transfers of vinyl-only stuff, but that's a completely different discussion.

Sep 9, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #8 of 23
beerchug.gif

Sep 12, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #9 of 23
I think you will enjoy it...I do, although I did have to use a ground loop isolator to get rid of noise from my system. I'm pretty sure the sound was coming from my computer vis USB.

Sep 13, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #12 of 23

Quote:
The upcoming Creative Titanium HD USB sound card seems to promise more for cheaper but there is no review yet.

Ya, no reviews of USB Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD until now but there is one review about Titanium HD:
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/pc-components/sound-cards/creative-x-fi-titanium-hd-712750/review

Well, I have to say USB Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD really looks like Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 USB... Still wait for some reviews. 

Sep 13, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #13 of 23
I don't want to start such a similar thread immediately in the wake of this one, so if I may I'd like to include my very similar question:
Building a work setup, with new phones and an amp thanks to fellow head-fi'ers oggle and riverlethe:

Work laptop --> ______ --> shanling PH100 --> AKG K701

As I'm sure you can guess, I want a low-budget blank-filler.  I am considering the:
-NuForce uDAC-2
-Maverick D1 (used only)
-AUNE or similar 
-echo indigo DJ
-(used) headamp PICO

I have a Macbook Pro at home, so OS X compatibility is necessary.  I don't have any SACD or DVD-A content, so high sample rates aren't necessary.  My other headphones are some Ultrasone PROline 650s, which I've used unamped.  

Only difference from the OP's post really is that I don't care about the quality of the headphone amp - I just need USB --> RCA, and that done decently and done cheap haha!

Thanks a bunch in advance, not really sure if pirating a living thread like this is the best policy or not, so feel free to correct me,
Cam

-EDIT-added info about my other 'phones (ultrasones)

Sep 15, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #14 of 23

Quote:
I think you will enjoy it...I do, although I did have to use a ground loop isolator to get rid of noise from my system. I'm pretty sure the sound was coming from my computer vis USB.

OK, that's good to know. Still looking for a "brick" store near me, so I can test it. The Aune (thanks for the tip, Lazerboy2000) is going for 110 GBP on eBay, but I quite like the portability of the nuForce. Pondering....

An aside: noticed in your sig that you own HD555's. How do you like these? My girlfriend owns HD500's which are comfy but falling apart - and although I like (the sound of) my Grado's they're wearable ear-torturers.

Sep 15, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #15 of 23
I think the HD555 are fine for movies through a receiver or for using EQ settings. Other than that, I find them kind of lifeless. My sr225i are getting more comfy all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back