Good USB DAC for the budget-constrained?
Sep 26, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #20 of 23
using udac2 on my imac, working perfectly fine.

They just released an strip down version of udac2 - uDAC2-HP

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/513896/nuforce-udac2-hp-high-performance-24bit-96khz-usb-dac-and-headphone-amp-at-incredible-price-point-of-99#post_6945207

uDAC-2            uDAC2-HP
24bit/96kHZ USB DAC                               Yes                 Yes (same as uDAC-2)
High performance headphone amp               Yes                Yes (same as uDAC-2)
RCA Output                                               Yes                 No
Coaxial Output                                           Yes                 No
Volume Pot                                        Very high quality     High quality (same as original uDAC) 

Sep 27, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #21 of 23
The uDAC-2 is now out of stock, but they might have some refurbished units soon.  Otherwise, they will be producing another batch in October.  ALO Audio may have them in stock.  I would not consider the newer, stripped down model if you need RCA outs - it does not have them.  I just received my uDAC-2 last Thursday.  The RCA outs are quite nice, and the hp out is fine with my HD-600s, but not so fine with my Ety ER-4Ps.  There is a very long thread on this DAC if you want to read more about it.

--Ken

Sep 14, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #22 of 23
Again, thanks everyone for your advice - in the end I stretched my budget and went with the CEntrance DACport (second-hand though, through this site's For Sale forum). It's on its way to me now....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back