Good upgrade to Grado SR-225i or SR-325i from SR-80i?
Apr 29, 2010 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

maggior

Head-Fier
I currently own a pair of Grado SR-80i headphones and love them to death. I experienced a major "Wow" when I first put them on. Music through headphones never sounded so clear and open. I generally listen for between 2 and 3 hours a night with them and don't find them fatiguing, which was a pleasant surprise!

Now I'm starting to suffer from upgrade-itis. I've been reading reviews of the SR-225i and SR-325i and many say that there is a significant difference from the SR-80i's.

The price of the 225i's isn't too bad, but the 325i's seem pricey. However, I may find myself wondering "what would the 325i's have sounded like?".

So, my main questions are:
- If I get the 225i's, will I be missing something that the 325i's offer?
- Is there a big jump in real sound quality from the 225i to the 325i?
- What about the jump in SQ from the SR-80i to the SR-225i?

Also, I've read that the 325i's are heavier because of their metal construction - how much of a factor does this play into the comfort?

I look forward to your input - thanks!

BTW, my source is FLAC files streamed through a Logitech squeezebox. The squeezebox is connected via line-out to a Artcessories USB Phono Plus box, which has a headphone amp built it. My headphones are plugged into the Arcessories box. (I may upgrade this amp setup in the future, but one step at a time :wink:. I occasionally use my iPod with the Grados, but that's only when I'm travelling.

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #2 of 39
Big jump from 225 to 80s. Not entirely sure from 225 to 325.

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #3 of 39
I would say definitely a good upgrade to the SR225i from the SR80. But from the 225i to the 325i, I would classify this as a small downgrade.

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say definitely a good upgrade to the SR225i from the SR80. But from the 225i to the 325i, I would classify this as a small downgrade.

I agree. I found the 325is to be shrill, piercing and overly bright. The 225(i), to me, is the best Grado in the Prestige lineup. Grados scale up nicely with refinement, extension, detail and to some degree soundstage. You can see my impressions in my sig if you want to read more.

Apr 29, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #5 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. I found the 325is to be shrill, piercing and overly bright. The 225(i), to me, is the best Grado in the Prestige lineup. Grados scale up nicely with refinement, extension, detail and to some degree soundstage. You can see my impressions in my sig if you want to read more.

I read your SR80 - SR-225i comparison. Great review! I had a similar experience and journey to Grado headhpones as you. The praise on the 'net was overwhelming, to the point where you have to check it out and see what all the fuss is about. I like your Mercedes analogy.

Thanks everybody for the feedback so far. I'm beginning to think I have a pair of SR-225i's in my future :).

Apr 29, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by maggior /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read your SR80 - SR-225i comparison. Great review! I had a similar experience and journey to Grado headhpones as you. The praise on the 'net was overwhelming, to the point where you have to check it out and see what all the fuss is about. I like your Mercedes analogy.

Thanks everybody for the feedback so far. I'm beginning to think I have a pair of SR-225i's in my future :).

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif
And welcome to Head-Fi! Whatever you decide on please let us all know your impressions. Did you discuss amping yet? Lmao

Peace,

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #8 of 39
Or upgrade to Alessandro MS2?

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #10 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif
And welcome to Head-Fi! Whatever you decide on please let us all know your impressions. Did you discuss amping yet? Lmao

Peace,

Thanks for the welcome. I've lurked for quite sometime. I have found lots of good information through reading, but I thought a discussion on this topic would be worthwhile.

Interesting to hear differing opinions, but the overall impressions seems to be that the SR-225i's would be most beneficial. When funds allow, I'll have to grab a pair and check 'em out for myself. If all goes well with them, my SR-80i's will get moved to "music at my desk at work" duty.

I'll definitely post back when I get these.

As far as amps go, I dipped my toe in the water with the Practical Devices XM4 amp. At the moment I'm quite happy with it. I've read all about the Ray Samuals, Meier, etc. models and am just not pepared to dive into that realm yet. One day perhaps...

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #11 of 39
I went from SR-125 to SR-325is a while ago. At first 325 felt really bright compared to 125. Since then (>100 hours I reckon) it has settled down to comfortable levels. Though 325 is considerably heavier, I have found that to be a non-issue. I really like the bass extension it gives compared to 125.

Considering the price, I guess 225 provides better value for money.

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

Thanks for the welcome. I've lurked for quite sometime. I have found lots of good information through reading, but I thought a discussion on this topic would be worthwhile.

Interesting to hear differing opinions, but the overall impressions seems to be that the SR-225i's would be most beneficial. When funds allow, I'll have to grab a pair and check 'em out for myself. If all goes well with them, my SR-80i's will get moved to "music at my desk at work" duty.

I'll definitely post back when I get these.

As far as amps go, I dipped my toe in the water with the Practical Devices XM4 amp. At the moment I'm quite happy with it. I've read all about the Ray Samuals, Meier, etc. models and am just not pepared to dive into that realm yet. One day perhaps...

Resistance is futile.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by outlawdon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did not like the SR225i at all. Kept the SR80i instead.

Read my review here...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/mod...y-take-481323/

That's a really cool looking mod. I love the look of the silver metal grills!

What planted the idea of adding the damping felt material inside?

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #14 of 39
Quote:

That's a really cool looking mod. I love the look of the silver metal grills!

What planted the idea of adding the damping felt material inside?

Thanks. And with the felt idea, it was just me being creative using what I had laying.

Also inspired from here...

ZX Amateur Cables - Grado/Allesandro Recable
" The two damping modifications below help with taming the highs/resonance's of the cans themselves. Highly recommended using both modifications at once, or at least use the Driver damping one."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back