Good upgrade from HD280 Pro?
Oct 26, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #16 of 30
Although you don't have them listed here, I would take a look at the Audio-Technica M50 headphones. They are way better than the 280 pros, which I own, yet are closed and will give you decent seal for your studio classes. They definitely also have solid bass, while yet still doing pretty well with various genres. I think its an outstanding can to start out with for awhile coming from 280 pros. My wife has Sennheiser 598, and while they are nice, they meet the description you gave them of not having oomph in the bass department. They are nice if you want a flat sounding, yet good, headphone for the price. The look and finish on them are outstanding though.

Oct 26, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #17 of 30
M50's for rock and metal? Ahh nope, guitar mid range disappears, leading attack edge is dulled. Coming from
a Ultrasone 580 he would be headed for a world of disappointment.

Grado 225i with the Beyer DT770 headband mod, easy as, it just slips over the original and
makes them look a little more modern and comfortable.

Oct 26, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #18 of 30

Quote:
Grado 225i with the Beyer DT770 headband mod, easy as, it just slips over the original and
makes them look a little more modern and comfortable.

Another vote for the 225i.  The headband mod sounds interesting and does sound more comfortable.  Now, looking at it, can you put the G-cushion ear pads on the 225i?  If so, would they affect the sound in any way?

Oct 26, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #19 of 30

Quote:
Another vote for the 225i.  The headband mod sounds interesting and does sound more comfortable.  Now, looking at it, can you put the G-cushion ear pads on the 225i?  If so, would they affect the sound in any way?

G-cush fit straight on ~ the result is a mixed bag, some like the extra sound stage, others feel that
it sucks the middle frequencies out and can make them shrill. This is what I've heard regarding
the 325i which I own with bowls and flat pads.

Johnny Grado does tune each can for each type of pad, only real universal benefit would
be the SR80i which definitely loves the bowls even though it comes with flat pads.

225i is a good all arounder and it's much more forgiving than my 325i for some
'so-so quality' metal and rock masterings.

Oct 26, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #21 of 30

Quote:
So would the SR80i be a better choice for use with the bowls then? 

SR225i comes stock with the bowls, it is tuned for the bowls.

SR80i comes with flats but by 'pure chance' it sounds nicer
on the bowls, more soundstage and separation without giving
up any bass really, in fact the bass becomes a little tighter.

If you're out for maximum 'bang for your buck' then the
SR80i is hard to beat ~ they sell for $138AUD over here
and nothing comes close to it for rock under $250AUD.

$100USD if you're in the USA, it's a no brainer.

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #23 of 30

Quote:
Here you go for studio use: http://www.head-fi.org/t/406658/the-german-maestro-gmp-8-35-d-monitor-in-the-studio-serious-about-audio-indeed

Thanks, but I'm not looking for studio headphones.  I want just personal audio headphones right now.

It seems the Grado SR80i might be the way to go.  However, I still would like to know if someone could compare them with HD518.

Oct 26, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #26 of 30

Quote:
Thanks, but I'm not looking for studio headphones.  I want just personal audio headphones right now.

It seems the Grado SR80i might be the way to go.  However, I still would like to know if someone could compare them with HD518.

Here's a HD518 review :-

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-518

Thankfully they appear to be better than my old HD515 which were absolutely '##@@%^!!!' in every way.

More bass, fuller midrange while being forgiving. This will most likely work for you and against you.

It'll smooth over poorly mastered metal/rock recordings without harshness, the SR80i will show you
this unfortunately. On great recordings however, the HD518 will still sound 'laid back', it will sound
good but you won't be head banging like a nut job. The SR80i will take you there on those recordings.

Oct 26, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #28 of 30

Quote:
So what would you recommend?  I do tend to head bang sometimes (not too often though).  Yet I do tend to listen to some songs on YouTube (may sound stupid to some, but I use it either way), should I go with the HD 518?

It is really up to you ~ if you have nice recordings, regardless of the fact that you occasionally youtube, we all do, then the SR80i is a no brainer.

But if the majority of your material is of poor recording quality & rip rate then the HD518's will smooth over that, but keep in mind that for
rock/metal genre, this smoothness may come across as a little lifeless and lacking attack and urge.

The SR80i like all Grados will be a ruthless headphone, if it's good, it's very good but if the recording stinks then it will make your ears
bleed. For me, it's a no brainer ~ I'd rather have less quality tracks over lots of quantity.

If the HD518 is anything like my old HD515 is terms of amping ~ it will not upscale if you ever get an amp or plug it into a decent soundcard.

The SR80i is pretty incredible for the price if you decide to amp it one day.

Oct 27, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #30 of 30
Yay... Grados :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back