Good upgrade from HD280 Pro?
Oct 24, 2011 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Destroysall

Headphoneus Supremus

[size=medium]
The Ultrasone HFI-580 I had I decided to give to my brother and he gave me his HD280 Pro because I needed something with good isolation for studio class and to me these had way better isolation.  I don't really want to go off and buy another pair of HFI-580s since I can always trade back with my brother, so I want something new.  I would be using these for personal listening.  My HD280 Pro will be used for studio or if I need the isolation.   Anyways, I've been searching through endless opportunities and have found a few.  Which one would you guys recommend the most?  

-Grado SR80(i)

They seem to be a favorite (along with Grados in general) to many around here.  I love how you can really mod these.  Seen some on here and they all look really cool.

-Sennheiser HD518

Been bouncing around threads asking about this headphone.  I was told that the Fiio E11 does a good job making these cans sound warmer and have tighter bass, so this indeed is an option I am considering.

-Sennheiser HD600

-Beyerdynamic DT880 (250 Ohms)

Now for the DT880 and the HD600, I know they are both in the 250-300 Ohm range, but the specs for my M-Audio Fast Track USB (what I use for both a DAC/Headphone Amp) states I can use any headphones with an impedance of up to 600 Ohms.  So I was willing to bear with it till I get a dedicated amp.

My max price btw is around $240.

I care about comfort and sound, but I want something similar in soundstage to the HD 280 Pro.  The HD 280 Pro biggest con is the really big clamp it has.  I find the clamp to be extremely fatiguing after a few hours use, which is why I want something more comfortable that I can wear hours on end and not worry.  I also am preferring Open cans as I will still use the HD 280 as my closed cans (they have good isolation).

Anyways, sorry for the long post, but thanks in advance!

Destroysall
[/size]

Oct 24, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #3 of 30
 If your budget is 240, then don't go for the 80s, go for a higher end Grado model. As much as Grado SR-80s are an outstanding value for the price, and I love how they sound, I would say go 325is if you can find them cheap enough, or at least 225is. I really would recommend the 325is though.

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 30
Op, which musical tastes you have? its hard to recommend something knowing that you only care about "Comfort and sound" (pretty vague Imo) you want something analytical?

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #6 of 30
Sorry about that.

Primarily Rock, Metal, Electronic (i.e., Daft Punk), and Classical.  I like the sound of my HD 280 Pro, including the sound stage and how you can practically hear everything that is played through them, but I want something with a little bit more bass and much more comfort.  I'm not a big fan of the clamp on the HD280 Pro.

Oct 24, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #7 of 30

Quote:
Sorry about that.

Primarily Rock, Metal, Electronic (i.e., Daft Punk), and Classical.  I like the sound of my HD 280 Pro, including the sound stage and how you can practically hear everything that is played through them, but I want something with a little bit more bass and much more comfort.  I'm not a big fan of the clamp on the HD280 Pro.

You're gonna love the Grados for Rock and Metal (they are almost, if not the best headphones for rock [ the whole of the prestige line] and metal). They handle classical well, but other cans can do electronic better.

Oct 25, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #8 of 30
I have a feeling classical won't work great on any Grado. 

But if you're going that route, I think you can get some Grado Magnum drivers ($120++ish), a used SR60 to transplant the drivers in ($50++ish) and maybe a head band from jmoney ($50). 

Oct 25, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #9 of 30

Since you like the Sennheiser sound, I would look into a pair of HD580s. These cans are essentially an older HD600 -- many users say that they can't tell the difference between the two. You will have to buy them used, though, since they have been out of production for quite some time. I have seen them pop up in the FS forums and on eBay with some frequency, so it shouldn't be too hard. Plus, they are inexpensive! Most pairs sell for <$150 compared to the $200+ that HD600s go for.

The HD580/600 are pretty neutral, so they handle pretty much everything and sound great doing so. If anything, they don't excel at any one sound (like Grado does for rock, for example), but Classical will be favoured.

Alternatively, you could try a pair of HD598s. While these phones still have the Sennheiser sound, they are different in a good way. Many say that the typical Sennheiser veil is non-existent with these phones, producing a much more lively experience compared to the usual laid-back offerings that are normally heard. That said, they are still far from fatiguing. They have forward mids, which will help with rock based genres, a fantastic soundstage, and good bass (probably not basshead adequate though). From a technical standpoint, they aren't as proficient as the HD580/600, but they still sound amazing and you can't go wrong with either. Another benefit, the HD598 are easily driven, so an amp is not necessary. They are also a relatively new addition to the Sennheiser line, so if buying used is a concern, these headphones can be had new for ~$180 from various stores (JR.com and amazon).

My only experience with Grado are the SR-80i. They really do sound great and I do plan on modding them eventually. As mentioned, they do lack a soundstage, but for rock/metal, that doesn't bother me too much. They can be slightly fatiguing at times, but nothing to really complain about. If rock/metal is by far your preferred genre, I wouldn't hesitate to go for the SR-225i. Classical does sound good, but I would say Sennheiser handles it better, so it really boils down to how much of each you listen to.

Lastly, I have no comment on anything to handle the electronic genre. The area is foreign to me... sorry. :frowning2:

Oct 25, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #10 of 30
^No worries at all!  LOL.  I did look for the HD 580, but I had no luck.  As for the HD 600 goes, Amazon is selling a refurbished set for around $240.  I'll keep my eyes peeled for the HD 580 however.

The Grado Magnum mod looks great, but where do you get Magnum drivers?

Also, can anyone vouch for the HD518?  I pretty much was told that they have good bass, they sound better amped (like with the FiiO E11), and that the pads can be replaced with the 558/598 pads.  It seems like a great deal.

Oct 25, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #11 of 30
I've seen HD600 go for ~$200 on the FS forums here, so if you're set on those, throw up a WTB classified and see if anyone takes the bait.

On the HD518 -- the price of these headphones plus the price of the replacement earpads from Sennheiser and your basically paying as much as you would for either the HD558/HD598. This is obviously just my opinion, but I would rather just go for the 558/598. Then again, I have no idea what the HD518s bring to the table, I am just assuming that the 558/598 are technically and sonically 'better'.

Oct 25, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #12 of 30

Quote:

[size=medium]
... and he gave me his HD280 Pro because I needed something with good isolation for studio class and to me these had way better isolation. 
[/size]

Everyone is recommending open cans here. You cool with that? Zero isolation. 

Oct 25, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #13 of 30

Quote:

[size=medium]
I also am preferring Open cans as I will still use the HD 280 as my closed cans (they have good isolation).

[/size]

@soundfreaq, This is the reason why. ^

Oct 26, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #15 of 30
^LOL, once again, no worries.

@fusedpro, I did consider both the 558/598, but the only thing is that I've heard they don't really have much bass to them.  I'm not particularly looking for boomy bass, I just want something with a thump and more mid bass.  The HD280 Pros have perfect low bass, but the mid bass is definitely recessed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back