good turntable that can rip vinyls to lossless digital
Apr 5, 2013 at 6:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 96

reddragon

Headphoneus Supremus
any suggestion, anyone? price is unset for now but probably wont be too high, the turntable does not have to provide crazy good sound though it must have the ability to rip vinyls to lossless digital files because i will be doing my listening from my dap mostly. im eyeing the audio technica lp1240usb... any thoughts on that too?

Apr 5, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #2 of 96
I highly recommend you continue with the purchase. If you don't need the super crazy good quality.

One thing to be certain, calibrate your turntable well. That's more important than whatever interface you are using to connect your Turntable (TT) to your computer. Your TT will be the source, so it is important that the source is in it's prime working condition.

Since this is a USB turntable, I you won't need an interface between the TT and the computer - just connect the TT with your PC using a USB cable.

Do you already have vinyl records that you want to rip?

Just be prepared for disappointments. there is still a debate on which source provides the best audio quality - Digital or Analogue. Your experience may vary.

Apr 5, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #3 of 96
well i only had the idea of wanting to get a turntable because theres a CD that costs a lot and the vinyl not so much, so i decided to buy the vinyl and convert it to digital to put onto my dap. i have no experience with analog audio whatsoever. i dont even know what you mean by "calibrate" the turntable... as for purchasing, i wont have enough funds until maybe next month or so (hopefully). and for digital vs analog, my music is always in digital, does analog sound that different from digital? 

Apr 6, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #5 of 96
Quote:
I'll curious of the sound quality.  I too have vinyls that been wanting to rip.

i havent found any review of it on head-fi though found some on amazon, im always doubtful of the reviews on amazon. do you have the money for it? i dont right now... and first my dap is down and i have to send it back to get it fixed... sucks... 

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #7 of 96
Quote:
well i only had the idea of wanting to get a turntable because theres a CD that costs a lot and the vinyl not so much, so i decided to buy the vinyl and convert it to digital to put onto my dap. i have no experience with analog audio whatsoever. i dont even know what you mean by "calibrate" the turntable... as for purchasing, i wont have enough funds until maybe next month or so (hopefully). and for digital vs analog, my music is always in digital, does analog sound that different from digital? 

When you get a turntable, it is usually not a plug-and-play case. The turntable has many different components that need to be calibrated. I suggest you watch the following video for a beginner's preview.

Also note that when you rip off vinyl, the whole side will be a single track. You'll have to use other softwares to cut the songs apart.

I'm sorry, now I'm doubtful whether it is more efficient to get a turntable than just ripping off CDs. So now I suggest you just continue buying CDs instead of getting a turntable. It will just simply cost more time and money.

Apr 8, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #8 of 96
I think you need to take a step back and think about it for a second.

Ripping vinyl can be a extremely time-consuming task, with all the cleaning, recording, and post-processing after the recording process is done. Unless you got a mint condition vinyl (which let's all be honest, will cost you a lot more than CD's, and by that alone your strategy is already down in the dumps), you WILL have to clean the recording using Audacity or Adobe Audiotion or something else made espeally for vinyl ripping, and they're very expensive pieces of software.

About sound quality, if you have a decent soundcard/capturing software combo, AND a clean pressing AND a good TT, with a clean needle, nice cartridge, etc, you'll get pretty good recordings, in 24/96 if you want, and all that jazz.

On the Analog v. Digital, i'm not gonna say anything, cause i know how things are around here and i don't want to start a war.

The audio technica lp1240usb is a good TT, with upgradeable parts for the price range, if you think you can handle the points i stated above, you should go for it.

Happy ripping.

Apr 9, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #11 of 96
Good choice, I was looking at that one and if ripping is your priority I think you'll be satisfied. My advice is to take your time and get all the kinks worked out by experimenting before you actually start production ripping. $350 shipped new in box would be a great deal for that TT.

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #12 of 96
thanks, do you also happen to know if this deal is contemporary or is almost always there? because i have been wanting to purchase a ciem for quite some time and will like to purchase the ciem before the turntable if the deal is usually there 

Apr 10, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #13 of 96
I don't know, I usually try to track Amazon's price because they offer the best shipping to my location.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back